HP TouchSmart

anon(5344488)

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site
I've used quite a few of these and they can be pretty slick! The touchsmarts are well made and are just as worthwhile as a regulaire desktop or laptop. Not to mention you save a lot of desk space!

At this point though, I would ask myself if I have any interest in upgrading to Windows 8. If the answer was yes, I'd want to give a call to HP and ask them about that touch screen. I'm sure the other specs would run it fine, but the gestures in Windows 8 are all based on the corners and sides of the screen, with lots of swiping motions. For them to work, the bezel around the screen should be either flush with the screen, or idealy be touch sensitive also. I've read that you'll have to hit within an 1/8th inch of the side of the screen to bring many of those menus up. Not an easy task if you can't get your finger close enough because the bezels in the way. So all those swiping gestures you see them make on the Surface will be impossible for you on one of these touchsmarts.

I've been using Windows 8 for a while now with just the mouse. And while its not terrible, it isn't great either. I've gotten used to it, but it still doesn't feel right. Just not very intuitive for a mouse.
On the other hand, if you plan on sticking with Windows 7, then i'm sure it would be just fine. And HP's touch interface will make it easy enough to use.
Remember, computers are obsolete the day you buy them, so try to go for some measure of future proofing to make sure you get four or five years use out of them.

Just my thoughts.
Hope that helps

Budule

Jun 23, 2012
Visit site
I've used quite a few of these and they can be pretty slick! The touchsmarts are well made and are just as worthwhile as a regulaire desktop or laptop. Not to mention you save a lot of desk space!

At this point though, I would ask myself if I have any interest in upgrading to Windows 8. If the answer was yes, I'd want to give a call to HP and ask them about that touch screen. I'm sure the other specs would run it fine, but the gestures in Windows 8 are all based on the corners and sides of the screen, with lots of swiping motions. For them to work, the bezel around the screen should be either flush with the screen, or idealy be touch sensitive also. I've read that you'll have to hit within an 1/8th inch of the side of the screen to bring many of those menus up. Not an easy task if you can't get your finger close enough because the bezels in the way. So all those swiping gestures you see them make on the Surface will be impossible for you on one of these touchsmarts.

I've been using Windows 8 for a while now with just the mouse. And while its not terrible, it isn't great either. I've gotten used to it, but it still doesn't feel right. Just not very intuitive for a mouse.
On the other hand, if you plan on sticking with Windows 7, then i'm sure it would be just fine. And HP's touch interface will make it easy enough to use.
Remember, computers are obsolete the day you buy them, so try to go for some measure of future proofing to make sure you get four or five years use out of them.

Just my thoughts.
Hope that helps

I just assumed (there i go again) that any touch screen would be ok on Windows 8.....maybe i should look for a different monitor(touchscreen) and a regular tower setup......space isn't really an issue as this roll top desk has a cabinet for the tower.....what would be the right Windows 8 monitor?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2