Anyone else running Windows 8?

twincamfxd

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Loaded it on my laptop last night, and I have to say it is really nice. I was a skeptic, as it looked like a tablet OS adapted to a PC, but it really isn't. It's intuitive, easier to use than I expected, and still has a normal desktop for those who need one. I give Microsoft an A+ on this one.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
I had to put the release preview on, as well. :D

Looking forward to factory resetting and putting a fresh install of Windows 8 come it's release.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Was able to get Windows 8 RTM a week ago thanks to my school's MSDN subscription... it is really nice. A lot smoother than I thought it would be. I like the new Minesweeper :-X I'm also using SmartGlass to be lazy with Netflix on my Xbox (when watching from my office, I can tilt the TV but my xbox remote needs line of sight to be able to work properly)

Explored some backup options last night and started up File History, and am looking to create a system image. Only problem is it keeps seeing my partition with Windows 7 on it as a system drive and forces that into the system image along with the Windows 8 drive :(

I only kept Windows 7 around in case I had any extreme compatibility problems, but I haven't needed to touch it so far :) Windows 8 is great!

twincamfxd

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
One thing I don't understand is that for the last few weeks all I have heard about is how awful windows 8 is supposed to be. I was reluctant to try it for that reason. Now I am glad I did. I can't wait for the full release.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I have been using it on my laptop since the RTM went live on TechNet. I like it. I'm not sure I think it is better than 7 at this point, but I do think it is as good.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

cluberti

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
It's change, and I think the human race has learned over the last tens of thousands of years that change can be bad. It isn't, really, but there's a knee-jerk reaction to change you can watch in any aspect of life - people generally DO NOT like change, period. I find folks generally are complaining that it's a new interface and that it's jarring, both of which are true. However, different doesn't always == bad, which unfortunately for the bulk of the tech crowd who think users are stupid sheep, they've been complaining. It's apparently too hard to have a screen of icons versus a menu of icons. Ultimately, Windows 8 is pretty fantastic once you get used to it, which (if my wife can do it.....) anyone can ;).

The thing people forget is how *horrible* the desktop interface is for touch (which is why Office 2013 has a "touch" mode - it's not fantastic, but Office is a gigantic product and will still run on Windows Vista and Windows 7, which are desktop interfaces). Microsoft sees the world moving to computing everywhere - in appliances, electronics, and even computing devices (iDevices, tablets, phones, ultrabooks, etc). I think Windows 8 (and the new interface in general) really shines on those types of devices, and there's a LOT of flexibility that you don't get with the "old" interface.

It's sad to see something that's worked so well go, but it won't continue to do that with the devices of the future. People will like it, others won't, but Microsoft has to get with the future, or it'll simply become a remembrance of the past.

Last edited:

mmacleodbrown

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Since I have a Technet Subscription, I have been running the RTM since released and haven't looked back.

Me too, uninstalled it for a while as I couldn't be bothered trying to figure out metro, just noticed the lack of a start button and sulked

To be honest windows 8 is really making me want that lumia 920 even more.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Me too, once I installed it again and sat down and actually learned how to use metro I was impressed. Once I added office 2013 on there, suddenly the next nexus phone seemed like a bad idea and I started googling WP8 and then found my way here and now Im stuck like most people here waiting for the 920 to be released :D

twincamfxd

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I know how you feel. I have a galaxy Nexus running codename android rom, trinity kernel, tweeked just about everything there is on this thing just like my last 3 phones and I just want something different. Tried nearly every rom, but they all feel too similar. Loading the new os on my laptop pretty much reinforced that I am on the right track.
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

CommonBlob

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
I have RTM on my laptop, my work pc and my home. I love it. Its faster, nicer looking and more productive as I can start coding within 30seconds on the train as its so fast to boot.

Note, I work in IT and love change :)

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

justop26

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
I have RTM both on my desktop and my 4-year-old laptop. I'm also running the Office 2013 Preview. Microsoft has everything they need to succeed, perfect reboot of all their divisions. Playing to win, are they...

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I'm running the RTM release already and was running Consumer and Release Previews before that. It took me a little getting used to the changes, and being on a regular laptop I really wish I had a touchscreen to use the new stuff more.

On the plus side, my laptop battery life is about double what I was achieving under Windows 7, and my performance is up as well. Good times all around! :)

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I went back to windows 7 ult. I did not like the start screen. I think the purpose of the start screen and desktop ( its a tile now, so maybe I can refer to it as an app ) clash. I dont like having both.

Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express

iSeeiSheep

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
I am running W8 RTM on desktop hardware but I look forward to buying a Surface device.

I think the commercial market will take to it quickly.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes