And they said iSheep were annyoing...

cruzr96

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Although I initially leaned toward Android when getting my first smartphone, I went ahead and gambled on a Lumia 920. Gotta say, I love it so far! Although my hands are itching for more customization on WP8 (no custom text notifications? boooo.), I knew that this would a little limited compared to Android going in. Point is, I love Windows Phone 8, and I'm hoping to see support for it.

I was hoping to convert some friends, but this phone is apparently a tough sell for high schoolers. The first day I pulled it out I got a bunch of laughs and odd looks, and a friend even asked my why I would waste money on a 920 when I could've gotten a GS3 instead. This happened a bunch more times, and by the end of the day I was sick of hearing all Android fans the hating on my "brick" of a phone. Surprisingly enough most of the people who loved my phone were Apple users! Took some of them some time to get used to the heft, but overall a lot them liked the UI.

I thought this platform was hoping to steal from Android's fanbase, but it turns out Apple users might like WP8 a lot more. Anyone having similar experiences?

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Absolutely. I noticed that Android fan boys were about 100x more annoying than Apple fans a long time ago. Android people are insufferable. They all think Google is the second coming of Christ and Google is going to save the world and everything in creation should have the crap ass Android OS installed on it.

1000x worse than the worst Apple fan I've ever seen. Seriously.

That said, no one I know questions my decision to buy my 920. Not everyone wants a Windows Phone and I don't try to evangelize anyone on it, but everyone I've shown it to seemed to appreciate it.

derek533

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
Not me necessarily, but keep in mind, you're holding arguably the sexiest phone out there along with the 8X (especially in a color other than black) and it's going to attract people who give credence to how a device looks in addition to what it can actually do. Android phones for the most part, focus more on the internals and what the phone can do. That's not to say there aren't sexy Android phones, but none enter my brain at this present time.:grin: Whereas, Apple has always been good at releasing good looking products whether you like them or not.

fulnix

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
I had an Atrix....it was ok but you have to do so much crap to get them to run right. My Sammy Focus running WP7 was great much more stable and just worked all the time. Everyone hates on anything that isn't main stream.
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"
-unknown

romeze

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I am glad you brought this topic up. I have had a very similar experience with iPhone and android users. It seems that iPhone users have been very interested and appreciate the windows os and UI. Android users on the other hand, seem to put there blinders on immediately. What seems to catch most peoples eyes is the design of my 8x, funny everyone always asks if it is the new iPod touch.

cruzr96

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
While I agree that many Apple user may look at the device for its looks, it's sad that Android users can't appreciate it. Especially when it's a bunch of teenagers who just use their phones to emulate NES games. Most of the kids I know who brag about rooting and overclocking don't even use their phones for anything besides gaming -___-

I don't doubt the looks of the new Windows Phones though, mainly got a Lumia 920 because it looked so amazing. Still blows me away when I carry it naked.

lancguy

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Most of my co-workers are iSheep. And the droids around could care less. Personally, I like my L920 much better then my old Andriod. Part of it is the hardware...a lot has happened over the last 2 years on that front. But I love the OS so much better then Andriod. My phone is much more stable, does what I need it to do, and doesn't complain if I ask it to do too much. And the app's are just so much better. A properly designed ap for W8 is much easier to use for me. I love how I can scroll from one "page" to the next with a swipe to the left - like when scrolling through the forums on the WPCentral ap. I also like how you can do additional actions with a swipe to the left, like follow links, download videos, etc.

cruzr96

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Personally there's still some things that are missing, but it's a brand new OS so I'm not surprised. Some of them were big enough to make me experience a little buyer's remorse, but with my two week return period gone that's disappeared. I'm glad I went with this OS, I just hope it spreads to more folks. Which leads me to another issue -- advertising seems to be very weak around my area. For every WP commericial I see there's at least twice as many Galaxy commercials. I seriously think that a full on ad blitz would help to spread this to more people. Some of my friends I showed it to didn't even know Windows Phone had a new version out until I showed her my phone.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
There's a reason that when people act like insufferable fools they are often described as acting like "high schoolers."

Not all high schoolers act like this of course. And we do see adults act like this, especially online. But in general, there's a certain level of immaturity and foolishness that one goes through in high school.

When we grow up, we tend to hide our irrational emotions a little better. 😁

ironsoulreaver

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Every time an android user trys to knock you ask them what OS they use on their desktop. When they say Windows ask them why they dont use Linux since they like it so much. If you like the OS on your computer/phone so much then it would make sense to use the same on your phone/computer no?

jsk0703

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
I get tired of hearing it. Not just with phones but technology in general. The fanboys love to hate no matter what side they are on. Whether is AMD vs. Intel, Nvidia vs AMD, Xbox vs. PS3, etc. It never ends.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Apple fans love the products, and though I'm not an Apple user at all, a lot of their criticisms of other platforms are actually true. Especially Mac vs PC - PCs to this day feel frightfully unpolished to me. Windows 7 was heralded as a saviour - yet it had no established background agents of any sort, the bootscreen was stretched on any widescreen computer, the UI was archaic... I could go on. Did you know apps on Macs are able to wake the computer up from sleep to complete a scheduled task, such as a backup, then put it back to sleep again? It's sad that Windows is simply not challenged as a desktop platform, because it has a long way to go to being truly fantastic in that regard.

On the other hand, Android fans love the weirdo mantras - whether it be openness or a deceiving specification - that companies shove in their faces. The GS3 is the best example that Apple isn't the (only) one disillusioning customers.

mechashen

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
My recent phone history has been a jailbroken iPhone 3gs, a rooted HTC inspire 4g, and now the 920. I thought as a gadget enthusiast it was important for me to be OS agnostic.

I feel like wp8 is more polished and smoother than android while being far more customizable than ios. Each os has its advantages but anyone who dismisses an OS without first hand experience has no place to talk.

As a middle school teacher, I have had many kids very impressed by this phone. I think wp8 has a real chance to gain market share with the 920, 8x, and ativ.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
I think both Apple and Android fanboys are annoying in different ways. Apple fans keep repeating the same fud that they are told about how iOS devices are easier to use, the best there is, more apps etc etc. Android fans keep trying to tell you how they have better specs, "open source", etc etc.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes