04-01-2013 11:13 PM
47 12
tools
    I upgraded a Lumia 710 from WP7.5 to WP7.8; now when I see people with WP7 in the wild (two columns of square tiles) I want to tell them they should update to 8 or 7.8.
    WhippedKream likes this.
    03-22-2013 03:10 PM
    Two family members brought two WP7 phone the other day and I helped them set them up. They had no clue I had one till one of my cousins told them I do. So far I know 4 other people besides myself with one
    WhippedKream likes this.
    03-22-2013 05:26 PM
    Met a Lumia 920 owner at SXSW last week while standing in line behind him for a party. His friend (whose own phone was dead) was asking for a phone that did screenshots (don't remember why he couldn't use his friend's phone) so that he could take a screenshot of the reservations he had for the party online and get it sent to the friend with the 920. I volunteered to help, got the screenshot, and was able to use the actual tap-to-send functionality with his friend's 920 to send it so they got their reservation. Yay real world scenario!
    03-22-2013 05:46 PM
    And it happens again folks! Just saw a Lumia 920 user with his son from far hahah, he was watching a video with him on the bus. God, WP8 sure is beautiful, keeping parents together with their kids and stuff :P haha
    wpn00b likes this.
    03-22-2013 06:24 PM
    Hey guys I just wanted to share with you my experience today where I saw a guy holding the Samsung Ativ S in one of my classes. I have the HTC 8X but I have to say... That screen looks flippin' GORGEOUS! The facebook app looked so different on his phone than on mine. It just felt different on a huge and colorful screen. Made me kinda jealous. But I'm more of a music person so I love my phone for that :). I digress though. I've only seen so far 2 WP8 users here in Montreal with me!! One Nokia Lumia 920 while commuting and this Ativ S user. It's awesome how we all have diff flagship phones but still :P Wanted to know what other people's experiences are like too so please do share haha.
    From Montreal also, I love my Lumia 920! :)

But you're right, as for me I haven't seen anybody with a WP8 device but I saw some WP7 devices like the Lumia 800 and two people at my work have WP7 devices as well and love it!
    WhippedKream likes this.
    03-22-2013 10:55 PM
    From Montreal also, I love my Lumia 920! :)

But you're right, as for me I haven't seen anybody with a WP8 device but I saw some WP7 devices like the Lumia 800 and two people at my work have WP7 devices as well and love it!
    Nice! Great seeing some who use the forums haha. We are just special though, don't worry :P hahaha I have seen a few WP7 before though in my time with my LG Optimus 7. I've seen 2 LG Optimus 7 users before, around 4 Samsung Focus Users, and 3 Lumia users. Still not a lot since I can count them but still cool. Enjoy that 920 though ;) I'm rockin' my 8x hard
    03-22-2013 11:20 PM
    I went to a St Patrick's day party and a friend of mine had a Windows Phone. She was one of the first people I knew to have an iPhone when they came out and that's all I've ever seen her carry so it was a bit of a surprise. I felt proud, though I had nothing to do with the switch.
    WhippedKream likes this.
    03-23-2013 12:00 AM
    I've seen a bunch of Lumias (920, 900, 710) here in Southern California (Mission Viejo to be exact).
    But no surprise really for there's 2 MS store within a 15 mi radius.. :D
    WhippedKream likes this.
    03-23-2013 12:53 AM
    Windows Phone is not popular here in Tehran, because Nokia hasn't officially announced Lumias :( don't know why...
    So I was the only one with a Windows Phone in the family and friends. When my friends saw my Lumia 620, almost all of them said "whoa! It's very beautiful!".
    Interesting thing is, one of my friends was going to buy an iPhone, but he saw my Lumia 620 and then he bought a Lumia 620 after just one week :D
    Now I know one person with a Windows Phone :)
    abel920 and WhippedKream like this.
    03-23-2013 03:07 AM
    The carriers here in Australia all sell the Lumia 610 for about $149 on prepaid, no contract, so I've seen quite a few of them floating around. I've seen a fair few 710's too, but very few of them know what's actually running on the phone. I've had a girl tell me it was an Android LOL. A few of my friends have been impressed with my 710 and picked up 920's.

But in truth. I've seen a lot of people carrying around LG Optimus 7's and HTC Mozart's. I know people are quick to say '3% global marketshare' but I've seen maybe 20 or 30 in my little town.

There isn't really any brand awareness here, none of the companies advertise their phones, and honestly the biggest push I've seen for windows phone has been in the retail stores. I was very happy to see all the GS3 posters get replaced with Lumia 920's and HTC 8X's. Even Telstra's 'Why Choose Android' signs were replaced with 'Windows Phone 8 - Microsoft Office Business' signs.

I think a lot of people here are not aware that there's any other kind of smartphone other than iPhone. That or they will buy it purely for the 'status' of having an iPhone which is really disappointing.
    WhippedKream likes this.
    03-23-2013 03:57 AM
    If you wanna see loads of WP phones, visit London. It's like every /10 person has one.
    WhippedKream likes this.
    03-23-2013 04:21 AM
    Depends where in London. Around Cardinal Place in Victoria you are very likely to see one as Microsoft is based there. So I see them quite often :-) On the train going home though I would say 70% iPhones, they are still seen as the "cool" phones. I don't know why as I think they look so dated now but appreciate their build quality and the marketing that has made them very desirable.
    WhippedKream likes this.
    03-23-2013 04:25 AM
    I wish there were more Lumia users here in India...it feels awesome when someone ask "oh is that the new Lumia" :P but at the same time i haven't seen anyone with Lumia around :/
    WhippedKream likes this.
    03-23-2013 07:01 AM
    Saw a lady, 50+ years old, with a white 920 at the airport about a month ago, and the bus driver taking me from the same airport had a white 920 as well. Two in one day, at the same place. A co-worker of mine switched from Android to WP8 (8X) after seeing me with my WP device. Now, trying to get my fiance take over my 920 when I switch device.

Not to forget my mom who has a 900. I guess she falls under the category 'fellow WP8 user' as well (and I do meet her now and then.)
    WhippedKream likes this.
    03-23-2013 09:40 AM
    I know that feeling. I've seen a few WP in Vegas. But nothing beats when you are some where and hear that familiar notification sound from across the room. You feel like getting up to go see where it came from. Its cool when it happens.
    WhippedKream, wpn00b and ninjaap like this.
    03-23-2013 12:49 PM
    Here in Toronto, I have seen one other WP, and I think it was a Nokia WP7.
    On the commute home, if I take the Yonge subway line (which goes through the more affluent areas) it's probably 50% iPhone, with the rest split between android and BB. When I go up north through the Univ-Spadina line (less affluent) you see a lot more older Blackberry models, then the rest are iPhones and a few androids.
    In my workplace downtown, four of my colleagues have recently upgraded. One has got the z10, three have gone for the iPhone 5. When discussing potential phones to upgrade to, the WP wasn't even considered. Wen I mentioned it to a colleague, her reply was "windows phone? Ain't they really boring though?". I have since then tried to give live demos to as many colleagues as loss of my 8x.
    WhippedKream likes this.
    03-23-2013 12:50 PM
    I bought an HTC 8S in blue last January, but I sold it because I can't play high RAM games (like Asphalt Heat), but it's a beauty nonetheless, 4 of my officemates practically lined up to buy the 8S. It seriously ended up in a bidding LOL! Then I bought the magnificent L920 in its full yellow glory. Everyone's just awestruck when they see my yellow 920. They like the UI as well so much because of its fluidity and aesthetics. People in the elevator ogle my phone all the time that I can't send a message in peace haha! So far I know 3 people with WP8s. Our project senior executive, my officemate with the blue 8S and my sister with her red L820. And I just convinced my dad to buy a white 920 to replace his aging SGS2. Hehe. All that's left is my mom then we're a WP8 family! I'm from the Philippines btw :)
    Last edited by Andi_N; 03-23-2013 at 05:06 PM.
    WhippedKream likes this.
    03-23-2013 04:55 PM
    I've only met one other person who had a Cyan 900 (before I got my 920) - playing with that phone is partly what put me on track to getting my 920. I haven't seen any others since, but then I don't get out much :)
    WhippedKream likes this.
    03-23-2013 05:09 PM
    I live in Co.Derry N.Ireland have had various HTC Windows mobiles over the years but i have yet to come across another W.P user ever. My 8x is a delight to hold and use didn't even consider Nokia.
    WhippedKream likes this.
    03-23-2013 05:33 PM
    Here in Toronto, I have seen one other WP, and I think it was a Nokia WP7.
    On the commute home, if I take the Yonge subway line (which goes through the more affluent areas) it's probably 50% iPhone, with the rest split between android and BB. When I go up north through the Univ-Spadina line (less affluent) you see a lot more older Blackberry models, then the rest are iPhones and a few androids.
    In my workplace downtown, four of my colleagues have recently upgraded. One has got the z10, three have gone for the iPhone 5. When discussing potential phones to upgrade to, the WP wasn't even considered. Wen I mentioned it to a colleague, her reply was "windows phone? Ain't they really boring though?". I have since then tried to give live demos to as many colleagues as loss of my 8x.
    I fello Torontonia! We should do a Toronto Meet up!

I've seen quite a few but that is because I work in a cell phone shop. The feeling is interesting =)
    03-23-2013 07:12 PM
    I have converted several friends and family to Windows Phone, but I have only seen WP in the wild once or twice. I would really love to see more!
    04-01-2013 10:06 PM
    I was helping a friend move into his new apartment today, and I saw the office staff pull out his white 920, while my friend was signing his lease agreement. I wanted to talk to him about it, but I really don't know how to start such a conversation without sounding like a dork! hahahaha
    Mystictrust likes this.
    04-01-2013 11:13 PM
47 12