Fitness device

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I use a Motorola Motoactv and it works GREAT for me. It has an ANT+ sensor for HR monitoring. Does BT for things like wireless connectivity to bicycle power taps. Will connect via BT to wireless headphones. Has builtin GPS and a basic mapping feature. Will connect via WiFi and automatically sync my workouts to the web. Does voice prompts when I am working out. Will play MP3's and learn what music motivates me best and will play more music similar to that. Is sweat proof and water resistant. Is a small and compact design. Will connect to a Droid and can display messages and phone calls my phone receives (Sorry, won't connect to WP).

Basically, this is THE perfect device for me. Unfortunately, when Google bought Moto, this was one of their acquisitions. Subsequently, they have stopped production and the only units available are used or through Amazon. Mine is sadly dieing. The LCD is cracked and the display is slowly getting worse and worse. It's out of warranty and will cost about $70 to fix (I bought it for $150).

There are a few devices like it out there now, mostly Polar devices, but they are bigger and more bulky and have less features. There's the Kreyos Smartwatch which most closely matches the current features I have in the Motoactv, KREYOS: The ONLY Smartwatch With Voice & Gesture Control | Indiegogo, but it doesn't have builtin GPS. It is the most promising so far in my research, but the lack of GPS is a showstopper for me.

Does anyone know of anything that has all the features of the Motoactv and would be a good replacement for it? Thanks all!

HOTDAWG

May 13, 2013
Visit site
I jumped all over the MotoActv as soon as it came out.
Worked great for a while - then constant issues (when I volume up, the music stops after about 5 seconds, GPS took longer and longer to connect...)
Then I got Windows 8. MotoActv doesn't work with Windows 8, so no more software updates for me.
Then the website quit working.

Agh. I went back to iPod shuffle (although now I'm using a SanDisk Clip+ and really like it) and a Garmin Forerunner 610. Not as cool, but the satellites pick up right away, data uploading is completely hands off and reliable, website works, haven't lost a single workout. MUCH happier.
I miss the great screen of the MotoActv and not having to worry about two gadgets, but the headaches and constant fussing are gone! Intervals and settings like that are easier (or at least more reliable).

As far as I know, nothing has all of the features of a MotoActv. It's a crying shame they wouldn't support it anymore. All of my phones before my Lumia 928 were Moto - back 15 years or so. They really crashed in the last few years. I won't be going back. (Besides, WP8 rawks!)

ETA: Read an article today MS might be working on a watch.

Last edited:

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Hmm... my Motoactv never had problems getting GPS signal. It might take 15-20 seconds, but would always lock on and be bang accurate. I applaud your ingenuity, but I really don't want to manage multiple devices.

Yeah, the website is problematic, but I love how the Moto will automatically sync whenever it gets in range of my WiFi automatically. I don't have to manually trigger it. I also like how it would automatically upload my steps every night. That's an AWESOME feature. The website could use some help, but the export abilities from the website to FB or Google Earth always worked well enough.

Sigh. I just wish someone had all the features NOW that the Motoactv has, and it's a relatively old device. :-( Guess I'll just keep waiting. Thanks.

HOTDAWG

May 13, 2013
Visit site
My Garmin uploads automatically, too. No manual triggering.

But yeah, having to go back to two devices sucks. I was pretty sad.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
babukapyar