What the hell... Are you saying I dislike Windows 8 because I can't use it?

A round of ignorance from so many forum users, amazing.

I don't like beer, I still know how to drink it.
    If your question was directed at my comment about we like what we know... That statement was not borne of ignorance. As a former business applications instructor and systems administrator, I've witnessed the frustration users feel when they encounter something that is unfamiliar to them. There are some of us who love to get our hands on new software, but most of the world prefers what they learned 5, 10, 15 years ago.

The Windows OS hadn't undergone such a drastic change since Microsoft transitioned us from 3.1 to 95. If 3.1 had been more stable and if there were computers in every home and backpack back then, there would have been an uproar over the changes made. It's no different with Windows 7 to Windows 8, except that Windows 7 is a good OS, very stable and very familiar. We prefer what is familiar to us (aka we like what we know). It's easier. It's more productive. The only compelling reason to use 8 is transitioning to a touch interface.

But the fact is, it takes 3 weeks to make or break a habit (in other words, to change muscle memory response patterns). I have not heard of anyone who learns Windows 8 navigation, and uses Windows 8 exclusively for 3 weeks, wanting to go back to Windows 7. I'm willing to be wrong, but I've challenged many users to do just that and every last one of them has come over to the tile side.
    Laura Knotek and S Vaibhav like this.
    07-19-2014 01:46 PM
    Unless I'm close to the router, Time Warner Cable is horrible at my house. It also disconnects automatically sometimes - I know that's a known issue with Windows phone 8.1, but it never happened at my high school or my college during orientation, and they probably use a different ISP.
    That's weird because I can connect or stay connected to my network outside in my car. I'll leave my apartment (which is on the ground floor of a brick building ca 1940s with thick walls) and get in my car parked on the street and still be connected. Where I park is not always a straight line from the window in the room where I have my router.

I also notice that I'm already connected to my network when I take my 920 off the car charger when I get home. I'll see the WiFi icon connected and sometimes even check notifications while I'm still sitting in the car parked on the street before going inside my apartment.
    07-19-2014 01:52 PM
    If your question was directed at my comment about we like what we know... That statement was not borne of ignorance. As a former business applications instructor and systems administrator, I've witnessed the frustration users feel when they encounter something that is unfamiliar to them. There are some of us who love to get our hands on new software, but most of the world prefers what they learned 5, 10, 15 years ago.

The Windows OS hadn't undergone such a drastic change since Microsoft transitioned us from 3.1 to 95. If 3.1 had been more stable and if there were computers in every home and backpack back then, there would have been an uproar over the changes made. It's no different with Windows 7 to Windows 8, except that Windows 7 is a good OS, very stable and very familiar. We prefer what is familiar to us (aka we like what we know). It's easier. It's more productive. The only compelling reason to use 8 is transitioning to a touch interface.

But the fact is, it takes 3 weeks to make or break a habit (in other words, to change muscle memory response patterns). I have not heard of anyone who learns Windows 8 navigation, and uses Windows 8 exclusively for 3 weeks, wanting to go back to Windows 7. I'm willing to be wrong, but I've challenged many users to do just that and every last one of them has come over to the tile side.
    No. Chregu's comment wasn't against you!
    MSFTisMIA likes this.
    07-19-2014 01:57 PM
    No. Chregu's comment wasn't against you!
    With 76,000 comments and counting, it's hard to tell without a quote. ;-)
    07-19-2014 02:14 PM
    With 76,000 comments and counting, it's hard to tell without a quote. ;-)
    That's true!😃
    07-19-2014 02:16 PM
    My arm is breaking

Sent from my Yellow Minion using Tapatalk
    07-19-2014 03:35 PM
    That's weird because I can connect or stay connected to my network outside in my car. I'll leave my apartment (which is on the ground floor of a brick building ca 1940s with thick walls) and get in my car parked on the street and still be connected. Where I park is not always a straight line from the window in the room where I have my router.

I also notice that I'm already connected to my network when I take my 920 off the car charger when I get home. I'll see the WiFi icon connected and sometimes even check notifications while I'm still sitting in the car parked on the street before going inside my apartment.
    Maybe you're one of the lucky few with good service from them.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-19-2014 03:50 PM
    My arm is breaking

Sent from my Yellow Minion using Tapatalk
    How come?😢
    07-19-2014 04:08 PM
    I'm sleepy. Going to target made me realize how much **** I need to replace in my house...
    07-19-2014 04:23 PM
    I'm sleepy. Going to target made me realize how much **** I need to replace in my house...
    I need to replace my house... in another state.
    07-19-2014 04:37 PM
    How come?
    uhhhh :| it's ok now :|
    07-19-2014 05:06 PM
    I need to replace my house... in another state.
    Technically, I need a house first. Just ballin' in a 1BR apt these days. Still doesn't change the fact that you can walk into a place like Target, Bed Bath and Beyond and go..." I could use A,B,C at home..." 😉
    07-19-2014 05:15 PM
    So I think I've settled on just getting a Nexus 5 and holding onto my 925 for now. I'll wait until the 930 gets cheap and consolidate and use that instead. Android is still decent enough for me to get some things done, so I'll use that in the week and the WP as my weekend phone...not that I'll have any weekends anyways come the fall...😅
    07-19-2014 05:17 PM
    Hey MIA, I wanted to answer you but it says your private storage is full, might be an iOS Safari bug though ;-)

I am having a blast with my girlfriend, calming down from some issues.

And just as a general remark regarding the thread: I installed Windows 8 the moment the final was available for developers and I have been using it since. I still think it's crap. Windows 8.1 is much better, I'm still looking forward to the start menu being brought back.
    07-19-2014 06:54 PM
    Hey MIA, I wanted to answer you but it says your private storage is full, might be an iOS Safari bug though ;-)

And just as a general remark regarding the thread: I installed Windows 8 the moment the final was available for developers and I have been using it since. I still think it's crap. Windows 8.1 is much better, I'm still looking forward to the start menu being brought back.
    Good to see you back. Yup, my inbox is full so I'll boot up the T100 now to clear it.

Posted via Princely Purple Z Ultra
    Chregu likes this.
    07-19-2014 07:31 PM
    Today was a good day so far.

N_LaRUE likes this.
    07-19-2014 09:26 PM
    Today was a good day so far.

Not for me :(. Someone wanted to log in my Google account from Argentina. Luckily Google prevented it and now I changed password so I should be safe.
    Last edited by Sport Driver; 07-20-2014 at 04:30 AM.
    07-20-2014 02:26 AM
    Not for me :(. Someone wanted to log in my Google account from Argentina. Luckily Google prevented it and now I changed password so I should be safe.
    Glad to hear that worked out. One of Gmail accounts was hacked and the minute that happened I went to Outlook and signed up.

My favorite scammers to read about are the Nigerian ones. I saw an an ABC special where they tracked one from upstate NY to Switzerland to Nigeria. Very very interesting stuff indeed.
    07-20-2014 07:21 AM
    It's a bit cooler today. Thankfully.

Went for a bit of country driving yesterday. I'll post some pics later.

Glad to see Chregu back!
    MSFTisMIA likes this.
    07-20-2014 07:42 AM
    Anyone else see this lame letter by Mr Elop?

https://www.linkedin.com/today/post/...e_0&_mSplash=1

You know it's bad when it's posted on LinkedIn.
    07-20-2014 07:46 AM

I'll agree that W8 needs some work. I have used it well though and in the right circumstances performs great. I honestly don't miss the start button but I can understand people wanting the option.
    Chregu likes this.
    07-20-2014 07:48 AM
    Glad to hear that worked out. One of Gmail accounts was hacked and the minute that happened I went to Outlook and signed up.

My favorite scammers to read about are the Nigerian ones. I saw an an ABC special where they tracked one from upstate NY to Switzerland to Nigeria. Very very interesting stuff indeed.

This was happening while I was sleeping because of time zones. I changed the password right away when I woke up.
    07-20-2014 07:59 AM
    It's a bit cooler today. Thankfully.

Went for a bit of country driving yesterday. I'll post some pics later.

Glad to see Chregu back!
    Surprised to see you pop in on a Sunday. And here I thought I had to go Sahib and post like crazy, talking about different topics on a quiet spell...

I still may do that, but now if I choose not to, it's cool.
    07-20-2014 08:04 AM
    Anyone else see this lame letter by Mr Elop?

https://www.linkedin.com/today/post/...e_0&_mSplash=1

You know it's bad when it's posted on LinkedIn.
    If this is the real deal, it goes to show you how much work needs to happen at Microsoft. With all this negativity and siloed nature of their production teams, I'm surprised that they had any successes after all.

I'm not sure how I should feel about them as a consumer. I always had some indifference but now I'm leaning towards being sad as this is the way they do business.
    N_LaRUE likes this.
    07-20-2014 08:09 AM
    Surprised to see you pop in on a Sunday. And here I thought I had to go Sahib and post like crazy, talking about different topics on a quiet spell...

I still may do that, but now if I choose not to, it's cool.
    Speaking about Sahib, where is he?
    07-20-2014 08:15 AM
145,247 ... 30653066306730683069 ...