The two main pathogens are of course bacteria and viruses. And I hear people often confuse them or use them as synonyms. This breaks my heart as a biologist.

First, bacteria are living organisms, they grow almost in every imaginable place on earth and it's estimated that the bacterial biomass exceeds the biomass of all animals by far. Viruses on the other hand are no organisms. They are very small capsules carrying few genes, derived from animal cells. A virus can not survive on its own, it needs always a host.

Bacteria have an advantage growing in humans and thereby making us sick, as by doing this they can extend to a new niche. Viruses replicate because they can replicate, it could be called an evolutionary mistake, but it is thought that viruses can influence and advance evolution.

Viruses also act very differently on our body than bacteria. While (actually very few, but they matter) bacteria can invade an organism and evade the immune system while growing with nutrients from the surrounding tissue, viruses bring their DNA or RNA into a cell and take over the cellular mechanisms to amplify their own proteins.

So if we have cold, or suffering from influenza, there are always viruses involved. Viruses can't be treated with antibiotics, antibiotics are by definition substances that inhibit or kill bacteria.

Well, I should go to work, if there are any questions or if I have missed something, just tell me ;-)
    That was great! :D Thanks!
    09-18-2013 04:31 AM
    New Blackberry phone incoming - next week in fact - they kept this one quiet but it does look like quite a good effort

BlackBerry Quietly Announces Its First Phablet — But Z30 Could Be Its Last Big Phone | TechCrunch
    I think BlackBerry is pretty much toast and will soon either be bought out or die.
    09-18-2013 04:33 AM
    New Blackberry phone incoming - next week in fact - they kept this one quiet but it does look like quite a good effort

BlackBerry Quietly Announces Its First Phablet But Z30 Could Be Its Last Big Phone | TechCrunch
    I don't want to lose BlackBerry or HTC...
    09-18-2013 04:34 AM
    I don't want to lose BlackBerry or HTC...
    Indeed but they both may go for different reasons...
    09-18-2013 04:49 AM
    I think BlackBerry is pretty much toast and will soon either be bought out or die.
    I think collapse will probably happen - Who would possibly want to buy them out? They have nothing really to offer the big players that would have enough cash to make the purchase..
    09-18-2013 04:50 AM
    Morning folks. Caught a cold and am not too happy about it.
    09-18-2013 04:54 AM
    So you've decided to come here and spread your germs then?
    09-18-2013 05:05 AM
    So you've decided to come here and spread your germs then?
    nope. If I were taking about a virus you wouldn't want that...
    09-18-2013 05:24 AM
    I see we're in post milestone mode...
    09-18-2013 05:39 AM
    I see we're in post milestone mode...
    As opposed to post milestone mode?

Yeah. Cant argue with you after this post.

Edit - As opposed to milestone post mode?
    Last edited by martinmc78; 09-18-2013 at 05:45 AM. Reason: So bored even my attempt at wordplay failed.
    09-18-2013 05:43 AM
    I have never heard about anyone being happy on catching a cold.
    09-18-2013 05:46 AM
    As opposed to post milestone mode?

Yeah. Cant argue with you after this post.

Edit - As opposed to milestone post mode?
    Did I miss something?
    09-18-2013 05:52 AM
    I have never heard about anyone being happy on catching a cold.
    I think you'd be a bit strange if you were 'happy' to have a cold. Though it wouldn't surprise me if there were such people...
    09-18-2013 05:54 AM
    @martinmc78

Remember a while back when I was saying that people are very quick to discard something when it doesn't seem to work well for them immediately?

I found this post: http://forums.windowscentral.com/win...1-weekend.html

Which I see you've been on. This is the type of thing I was referring to. Problem is, it's not just users bashing the crap our of MS and leaving horrid comments on articles, it's also the people writing articles doing it. It would seem that unless you're patient, which I'm starting to think is a trait of W8 and WP users, you're going to discard both pretty quick.

It doesn't help when you have two other options, both a lot more mature either. This is the fight that MS has on its hands.
    09-18-2013 06:18 AM
    Getting ready for work. Still drooling over seeing that Ativ S for $250 on expansys USA.

I know enough time has passed and there are many threads on this topic, but I'm actually glad MSFT bought Nokia. Had a friend I saw on Sunday with a Lumia 820 and he was saying how MSFT will destroy Nokia. Not sure many people realize Nokia is very old and used to make rubber at one point. As far as the phones go, it was better that they bought them anyways. Now what needs to happen is timely updates and MSFT giving HTC and Samsung the ability to add on stuff on top of the OS. For example I would love to see MSFT open up the possibility of LED notifications.
    09-18-2013 06:22 AM
    Remember a while back when I was saying that people are very quick to discard something when it doesn't seem to work well for them immediately?
    Windows 8 really does give me nothing over Windows 7, except some minor tweaks that don't affect the Metro surface. Everything Metro related is just horrible and useless in my opinion. It's not that I don't like Metro, I love Metro on my phone, but on a productive Windows Desktop or Laptop it's just a pain.

Maybe it would work for me on a Tablet.

And concerning the quick to discard thought, I'm using Windows 8 since the developer release.

So I'm looking forward to Windows 8.1 in October, but I fear that my expectations are just too high.
    09-18-2013 06:29 AM
    I am weak...

Sent from my LT25i using Tapatalk 4
    09-18-2013 06:29 AM
    @martinmc78

I found this post: http://forums.windowscentral.com/win...1-weekend.html

Which I see you've been on. This is the type of thing I was referring to. Problem is, it's not just users bashing the crap our of MS and leaving horrid comments on articles, it's also the people writing articles doing it. It would seem that unless you're patient, which I'm starting to think is a trait of W8 and WP users, you're going to discard both pretty quick.

It doesn't help when you have two other options, both a lot more mature either. This is the fight that MS has on its hands.
    Yeah I jumped on it last night and saw that people were considering the guy a troll which may well have been the case. However if he had messed things up somehow and just needed pointing in the right direction or a little help then that's more useful to everyone in the long term than making a snap decision and a sarcastic comment.

Although one thing does strike me as odd reading through his responses - he mentions using windows 8 for 8 months but didn't know how to use the share function on the charms bar. Admittedly unless you seek out a tutorial on how to use win8 effectively you wouldn't actually know what things did. However after 8 months of use if you still don't know what you are doing you really should just stick with using a pen and paper.

But as I said when we had the discussion before nothing that comes out of MS works perfectly first time.
    N_LaRUE likes this.
    09-18-2013 06:30 AM
    Getting ready for work. Still drooling over seeing that Ativ S for $250 on expansys USA.

I know enough time has passed and there are many threads on this topic, but I'm actually glad MSFT bought Nokia. Had a friend I saw on Sunday with a Lumia 820 and he was saying how MSFT will destroy Nokia. Not sure many people realize Nokia is very old and used to make rubber at one point. As far as the phones go, it was better that they bought them anyways. Now what needs to happen is timely updates and MSFT giving HTC and Samsung the ability to add on stuff on top of the OS. For example I would love to see MSFT open up the possibility of LED notifications.
    This made me think of something that's been bugging me and you allowed the thought to crystallize a bit. Now personally I don't really care that Nokia got bought out. It's their own fault for falling asleep at the wheel. I have a bit of a closer connection to all this as my wife is half Finnish, I've lived in Finland and we have relatives in Nokia town.

Now when Nokia messed up everyone was quick to point out how they were doing things the same way as before and that's the reason why they were losing market, etc.. Thing is though when you point out that MS is doing the exact same thing as Nokia, bringing an incomplete OS to market, expecting people to understand that it isn't perfect, in an already mature market, you get people saying, oh it's MS, they know what they're doing, it's the way they do things. It's a marathon not a sprint, etc. So why is it that when Nokia did it, everyone freaked on them and abandoned ship, however MS does it and everyone thinks it's fine? Is it cause MS had other business to shore up WP or something? Do people think they're too big to fail? It's something that's bothered me for some time.
    09-18-2013 06:41 AM
    Windows 8 really does give me nothing over Windows 7, except some minor tweaks that don't affect the Metro surface. Everything Metro related is just horrible and useless in my opinion. It's not that I don't like Metro, I love Metro on my phone, but on a productive Windows Desktop or Laptop it's just a pain.

Maybe it would work for me on a Tablet.

And concerning the quick to discard thought, I'm using Windows 8 since the developer release.

So I'm looking forward to Windows 8.1 in October, but I fear that my expectations are just too high.
    I did point out that those who like WP and W8 tend to be paitent. :P
    09-18-2013 06:42 AM
    I did point out that those who like WP and W8 tend to be paitent. :P
    I'm sorry, I'm just frustrated since I had to explain Windows 8 to my friend yesterday, and the more she got confused the more my dislike increased ;-)
    N_LaRUE likes this.
    09-18-2013 06:45 AM
    I'm sorry, I'm just frustrated since I had to explain Windows 8 to my friend yesterday, and the more she got confused the more my dislike increased ;-)
    It's strange. I don't find W8 that confusing at all. Hmmm... Once I've set up the apps I want to open certain files I was fine.
    09-18-2013 06:51 AM
    This made me think of something that's been bugging me and you allowed the thought to crystallize a bit. Now personally I don't really care that Nokia got bought out. It's their own fault for falling asleep at the wheel. I have a bit of a closer connection to all this as my wife is half Finnish, I've lived in Finland and we have relatives in Nokia town.

Now when Nokia messed up everyone was quick to point out how they were doing things the same way as before and that's the reason why they were losing market, etc.. Thing is though when you point out that MS is doing the exact same thing as Nokia, bringing an incomplete OS to market, expecting people to understand that it isn't perfect, in an already mature market, you get people saying, oh it's MS, they know what they're doing, it's the way they do things. It's a marathon not a sprint, etc. So why is it that when Nokia did it, everyone freaked on them and abandoned ship, however MS does it and everyone thinks it's fine? Is it cause MS had other business to shore up WP or something? Do people think they're too big to fail? It's something that's bothered me for some time.
    Because people will always be apologists depending on where their preference lies. I liked Symbian, I liked what I saw of Meego. Nokia, Moto, Sony and RIM fell asleep. Symbian was never to be a true touch screen device friendly OS. Moto and Sony fell asleep when,people started moving away from feature phones in the high end and mid range markets. RIM was plain stubborn. I can argue it is Google that has killed HTC, in that once Google took to focus on UI design, it took away HTC's strength of filling the void of covering up and adding functionality to how ugly anything before Gingerbread was on Android. Companies now have to think on their feet but plan very well. Samsung knows this, and that's why they have got their hands in everything, searching for the next "big hit".

My point here is that the market is cyclical. MSFT has staying power only because of resources. Can WP fail? Absolutely. We saw what happened to WebOS, arguably one of the best UIs in a long time. I'm only hopeful MSFT succeeds because competition benefits the end user. Plus I don't care to walk around with status symbols like the Galaxy S series or the iPhone in my pocket.
    09-18-2013 07:01 AM
    It's strange. I don't find W8 that confusing at all. Hmmm... Once I've set up the apps I want to open certain files I was fine.
    She used Windows XP and then Windows 7. And she really doesn't care about these things.

So until I explained to her how to open the option menu on the right side with the touch pad (non-touch-screen laptop) and then find the button to turn the computer off or restart she was already put off. Then I had to explain how the Metro surface works differently from everything she had before (right click opens a context menu at the bottom of the screen instead at the same position for example) and the difference between the Metro apps and the real Windows and how they are not connected (desktop apps are on the task bar, Metro apps are on the left side) and how they are installed and uninstalled from different places. At that point I think she gave up and told me she would just use the the desktop like on Windows 7 ;-)
    N_LaRUE likes this.
    09-18-2013 07:01 AM
    What helped me get around windows 8 non touch is the Windows key shortcuts. For the first week of using it I had them pasted into one note and snapped to a third. You don't need them all obviously but it saves a lot of time if you learn the most important ones.
    09-18-2013 07:09 AM
143,638 ... 321322323324325 ...