It's going to be a very long day.... :/
    08-14-2014 04:02 AM
    It's going to be a very long day.... :/
    It's the end of a very long day on my part.

Believe me, Windows Phones and Macbooks don't work well together.
    08-14-2014 04:26 AM
    It's the end of a very long day on my part.

Believe me, Windows Phones and Macbooks don't work well together.
    Wow, how surprising.... :P
    08-14-2014 04:34 AM
    Wow, how surprising.... :P
    Yeah. I know. :p

Really, it took an hour's worth of work to pull a file transfer off.

Then, I realized that you could transfer videos via the Windows Phone app...
    N_LaRUE likes this.
    08-14-2014 04:40 AM
    Extracting drawings from 3D models takes way too long... I've been doing it all morning so far. :/
    08-14-2014 05:57 AM
    What do you mean?
    Tell me your thoughts, knowledge of, or experience, if you have any of the Note series.
    08-14-2014 06:26 AM
    Tell me your thoughts, knowledge of, or experience, if you have any of the Note series.
    I have the Note Tab 10.1 so I can't help you much. I personally like the added functionality that the Note has over a stock Android tablet and the pen is nice but at the end of the day unless these things are important and you plan to use them they're just gimmicks, like Cortana, Google Now or Siri are to me.
    WanderingTraveler likes this.
    08-14-2014 06:42 AM
    Extracting drawings from 3D models takes way too long... I've been doing it all morning so far. :/
    And video editing is frustrating when your editor of choice isn't optimized to take advantage of raw power.
    08-14-2014 06:45 AM
    The 3G connection at my work lately has been horrid. I'm not sure if it's my phone having trouble with it or if there's an issue with the signal itself. I just keep having issues in this area. So frustrating.
    08-14-2014 06:47 AM
    And video editing is frustrating when your editor of choice isn't optimized to take advantage of raw power.
    I don't edit videos as I don't take that many. Photos and graphics on the other hand I do lots.

At work my computer is pretty powerful but still lags a lot. I often wonder how well the programs I use are optimized for the system I use.
    08-14-2014 06:48 AM
    The 3G connection at my work lately has been horrid. I'm not sure if it's my phone having trouble with it or if there's an issue with the signal itself. I just keep having issues in this area. So frustrating.
    It may just be the network being reworked. My network got lazy and decided to just shut down the cell towers in my area, so I got horrible signal for months.

Then, they told me I could roam on a sister network. Ah, nice save, Sun. Nice save.
    08-14-2014 06:54 AM
    I don't edit videos as I don't take that many. Photos and graphics on the other hand I do lots.

At work my computer is pretty powerful but still lags a lot. I often wonder how well the programs I use are optimized for the system I use.
    It depends. It may be the dev, or you just picked the wrong graphics card.

I have my doubts with desktop Windows developers in terms of how they optimize their programs. I have no doubt it has something to do with .NET, I have no doubt it has something to do with how bloated Windows itself is, and I have no doubt it has something to do with the fact that backwards compatibility is so important. But, come on! Chrome makes my T100 heat up as much as Osu! (a game) when I am playing intensely on max settings

Crazy.
    08-14-2014 06:59 AM
    I must say, it's impressive how a little marketing goes a long way.

A certain popular fast food chain named Jollibee has managed to put their one-third pound patty to good use and served it on top of some French fries with an egg on the side, with rice and lots of mushroom sauce, of course.
    They marketed it as the "Ultimate Burger Steak."

Am I impressed? Yes, I am.
    08-14-2014 07:03 AM
    It depends. It may be the dev, or you just picked the wrong graphics card.

I have my doubts with desktop Windows developers in terms of how they optimize their programs. I have no doubt it has something to do with .NET, I have no doubt it has something to do with how bloated Windows itself is, and I have no doubt it has something to do with the fact that backwards compatibility is so important. But, come on! Chrome makes my T100 heat up as much as Osu! (a game) when I am playing intensely on max settings

Crazy.
    Well I have no control over my work computer. :P

NVida Qudro 2000
    Dual Xenon 2.4GHz
    8GB RAM
    Win7 Pro 64 bit
    Dual 21" Monitors

I guess it's OK....
    sahib lopez likes this.
    08-14-2014 07:04 AM
    The programs I use are not what most people know either so...
    08-14-2014 07:05 AM
    Everyone seems to think the Nine Inch Nails is rather depressing but their songs have some Positive Psychology in them.

Take this line from the song Last, showing mindfulness: This isn't meant to last, this is for right now

See? Live in the moment. :)
    08-14-2014 07:13 AM
    The programs I use are not what most people know either so...
    Enterprise software tend to bend over backwards for older PCs, so...
    08-14-2014 07:33 AM
    I cringed upon seeing my "new" desktop.

No, just, no.
    08-14-2014 07:37 AM
    Enterprise software tend to bend over backwards for older PCs, so...
    Actually software continues to move forward but most enterprises refuse to go with it. A lot of large companies use large IT companies who are paranoid of things going wrong so they do minuscule updates. They lock down computers to almost being borderline painful to use and use very annoying virus software on top of that.

This is enterprise in a nutshell. If you're lucky enough to be in a new company with new ideas you might have the latest tech but it's likely that if you work for any large company you'll be years behind.

I use specialized 3D software so I need something with some good grunt. It's not the best PC but it's not bad. What's amusing is that my supervisor and manager got the best computers recently and neither use any CAD software at all! :P
    08-14-2014 07:41 AM
    Okay, I just checked my PC's specs.

Windows 7 Ultimate (non-SP1, no updates ever, pirated)
    1 TB HDD
    8 GB RAM
    Intel Core i5-4460
    Some AMD graphics card
    A crappy looking 1366x768 display that somehow only displays up to 1024x768

I think I'll continue using my T100 over this.
    08-14-2014 07:51 AM
    Actually software continues to move forward but most enterprises refuse to go with it. A lot of large companies use large IT companies who are paranoid of things going wrong so they do minuscule updates. They lock down computers to almost being borderline painful to use and use very annoying virus software on top of that.

This is enterprise in a nutshell. If you're lucky enough to be in a new company with new ideas you might have the latest tech but it's likely that if you work for any large company you'll be years behind.

I use specialized 3D software so I need something with some good grunt. It's not the best PC but it's not bad. What's amusing is that my supervisor and manager got the best computers recently and neither use any CAD software at all! :P
    Wait, you mentioned you work with CAD. What CAD software do you use? My dad got a desktop so he could work with CAD since the PCs in his office all run Linux thanks to the IT department.
    08-14-2014 07:52 AM
    Wait, you mentioned you work with CAD. What CAD software do you use? My dad got a desktop so he could work with CAD since the PCs in his office all run Linux thanks to the IT department.
    I use AutoCAD, Mircostation and SmartPlant, usually all at the same time... matter of fact, I have all running right now.
    08-14-2014 07:53 AM
    I use AutoCAD, Mircostation and SmartPlant, usually all at the same time... matter of fact, I have all running right now.
    Ah, thanks. The funny thing was that the reason my dad got the impulse to buy a desktop was because he saw a rather reputable engineer work with a rather large all-in-one touch screen PC.

Oh well, he's used to AutoCAD, but he can try something new ;)
    08-14-2014 08:01 AM
    Okay, it took a while to install SP1. Now to install IE11.
    08-14-2014 08:02 AM
    Ah, thanks. The funny thing was that the reason my dad got the impulse to buy a desktop was because he saw a rather reputable engineer work with a rather large all-in-one touch screen PC.

Oh well, he's used to AutoCAD, but he can try something new ;)
    Keeping up to date with the latest CAD isn't always easy.

You don't need a monster machine to run AutoCAD unless you plan to use the 3D materials and do very large renders. Same goes for Microstation,which is basically similar to AutoCAD, but different. :P

SmartPlant on the other hand is a different beast all together. It runs off a specification database and has several layers of administration. It's not something you can just install on your machine at home unless you're very good with databases.
    WanderingTraveler likes this.
    08-14-2014 08:08 AM
145,857 ... 32363237323832393240 ...