The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
    I don't know what's worse: floppy drives or dial up internet
    1200 baud man... the best... :P
    09-23-2013 05:48 AM
    Those days were so frustrating! LOL!
    09-23-2013 05:49 AM
    35 minutes before I leave for the day.
    09-23-2013 05:55 AM
    Did you know there was a 8" floppy? I've actually seen one. I remember the 5" and the 3.5". I hated them both. LOL! I was so happy to see the floppy drive die.
    I remember those 8 inch beasts they used to come in reinforced cardboard sleeves that made them look like records. I miss 3.5" disks they had their uses. I had a little toolkit that had lots of juicy programmes on it for breaking passwords, revealing usernames, showing user use history and some rather amusing boot programs that caused temporary havoc. Cant use them nowadays of course - as soon as you put a USB stick in with a .exe file on it most antivirus programmes go ape.
    09-23-2013 06:00 AM
    I remember those 8 inch beasts they used to come in reinforced cardboard sleeves that made them look like records. I miss 3.5" disks they had their uses. I had a little toolkit that had lots of juicy programmes on it for breaking passwords, revealing usernames, showing user use history and some rather amusing boot programs that caused temporary havoc. Cant use them nowadays of course - as soon as you put a USB stick in with a .exe file on it most antivirus programmes go ape.
    Glad to see you swinging swords :)
    09-23-2013 06:03 AM
    Antivirus programs are way too sensitive these days. Just the slightest hint of something wrong and they go batty. At work we get a weekly scan. Totally pointless, slows the machine down and is a right pain in the ***. Even worse when you go on holiday you get it twice that week when you come back.

As for floppy disk, yes they had their uses, for some fun and diagnostics, but I prefer the ease of a USB or portable hard drive. I'll even take DVD-ROM over floppy. Have you ever had to install Office or Windows off a floppy? You'll learn to hate the damn things.
    09-23-2013 06:11 AM
    I only use the standard Microsoft antivirus. All these commercially available solutions slow down my system and annoy with stupid notifications all the time.

Just to recapitulate what you missed from me: I finally got Microsoft support to buy Office again for me, I installed it and Outlook 2013 was as terrible as ever. Only half of the stuff works, while everything is perfect on Office 2010. But as hundreds of other people have the same issues and bugs, I finally made everything work more or less.

And I ate tons of cake yesterday, and also today, because someone of the lab brought birthday cake.
    N_LaRUE and snowmutt like this.
    09-23-2013 06:26 AM
    Antivirus programs are way too sensitive these days. Just the slightest hint of something wrong and they go batty. At work we get a weekly scan. Totally pointless, slows the machine down and is a right pain in the ***. Even worse when you go on holiday you get it twice that week when you come back.

As for floppy disk, yes they had their uses, for some fun and diagnostics, but I prefer the ease of a USB or portable hard drive. I'll even take DVD-ROM over floppy. Have you ever had to install Office or Windows off a floppy? You'll learn to hate the damn things.
    Yeah - I remember doing a 14 disk installation of windows back in the day.
    N_LaRUE likes this.
    09-23-2013 06:28 AM
    I only use the standard Microsoft antivirus. All these commercially available solutions slow down my system and annoy with stupid notifications all the time.
    Agree. Hate the commercial virus packages.
    Just to recapitulate what you missed from me: I finally got Microsoft support to buy Office again for me, I installed it and Outlook 2013 was as terrible as ever. Only half of the stuff works, while everything is perfect on Office 2010. But as hundreds of other people have the same issues and bugs, I finally made everything work more or less.
    What bugs? I haven't had any issues at all with 2013 yet.

And I ate tons of cake yesterday, and also today, because someone of the lab brought birthday cake.
    I still try to avoid cake and sweets as much as possible but over the week I slightly indulged.
    09-23-2013 06:33 AM
    Yeah - I remember doing a 14 disk installation of windows back in the day.
    Yep. Remember that experience all too well. That alone makes me happy to see the floppy disk dead.
    09-23-2013 06:34 AM
    Yep. Remember that experience all too well. That alone makes me happy to see the floppy disk dead.
    I don't and from the stories I get told by my old work colleague very glad I have skip the floppy!
    09-23-2013 06:45 AM
    AutoCAD was worse if I remember rightly, one release of that was 21 disks.
    09-23-2013 06:45 AM
    That software I got told that it crashed my work network.
    Last edited by BIGPADDY; 09-23-2013 at 07:26 AM.
    09-23-2013 06:48 AM
    Ouch. Never had to do that one. I think Office was around the same amount though if I recall.
    09-23-2013 06:57 AM
    I just upgraded my mobile phone services. So I got unlimited everything so I'm streaming some music. I'm listening to a radio station from Toronto that I haven't listened to for 10 years. Unfortunately I have the morning show on. I wanted to listen to it to hear some music. No music yet....
    Chregu likes this.
    09-23-2013 07:18 AM
    I just upgraded my mobile phone services. So I got unlimited everything so I'm streaming some music. I'm listening to a radio station from Toronto that I haven't listened to for 10 years. Unfortunately I have the morning show on. I wanted to listen to it to hear some music. No music yet....
    I got unlimited internet to it a shame the village hasn't got 3G!!!
    09-23-2013 07:27 AM
    I got unlimited internet to it a shame the village hasn't got 3G!!!
    That sucks. Time to move! :P

I work in what can only be described as a Faraday cage. The connection keeps dropping. At least I'm getting some music now. However it's stuff I've heard before. I'm waiting to hear something new....
    09-23-2013 07:36 AM
    Music heard so far.... old Pearl Jam, old Queens of the Stoneage, old Red Hot Chili Peppers. Sigh...
    snowmutt likes this.
    09-23-2013 07:59 AM
    That sucks. Time to move! :P

I work in what can only be described as a Faraday cage. The connection keeps dropping. At least I'm getting some music now. However it's stuff I've heard before. I'm waiting to hear something new....
    Yeah well that easy it where I work that I cant access my unlimited data so looking for another job nearer to were I live where there is 3G!!!
    09-23-2013 08:05 AM
    And the work wireless is extremely bad and getting worse!
    09-23-2013 08:06 AM
    Apple broke there record again by 9 million sales compound with the iphone 5s and c not really impressive and wont say which was the most sold...

http://allthingsd.com/20130923/apple...n-new-iphones/
    09-23-2013 08:08 AM
    Music heard so far.... old Pearl Jam, old Queens of the Stoneage, old Red Hot Chili Peppers. Sigh...
    Eminem Berzerk!!!!
    09-23-2013 08:08 AM
    Eminem Berzerk!!!!
    Not really into Eminem.
    09-23-2013 08:15 AM
    Not really into Eminem.
    09-23-2013 08:20 AM
    Not really into rap either. I'll listen to it if it's on but I don't go out of my way to hear it.
    09-23-2013 08:31 AM
142,776 ... 351352353354355 ...