I've noticed that most professionals tend to associate with their peers. Doctors have doctor friends. Lawyers have lawyer friends. Etc.
    When it comes to people I want to hang out with I prefer it to be interesting people who enjoy life and have broad experiences. That's what's important to me. However at my age I find making friends difficult. This is partially to do with not having kids.
    10-02-2013 03:06 AM
    Watching the US Govt shutdown. This is so stupid. I won't talk politics here, but I feel like hauling the leaders of both parties into a room and beating some sense into them. I feel terrible for those non essential govt workers who have to sit at home until this mess is resolved. It is such a sham and a crying shame all around...
    I find US politics pretty nasty these days. In general I final all politics along the same lines, even here in 'cultured' UK. We just recently had our right-wing newspaper take a crack at the oppositions (Labour) father who's dead. How low can one go really?
    10-02-2013 03:07 AM
    sadly me too .... they need to expand their criteria of friends!
    Sometimes it's not that easy. There's lots of factors behind why people choose to be around people from their own professions.
    10-02-2013 03:08 AM
    So what's in a name? My former ex (now my gf) spent most of our phone convo tonight debating the virtues of what names mean to kids and such. I learned that she is fine with a routine I'll describe in a second. So far, my brother has kept our overall tradition alive. My dad, my brother, myself and now my nephew have the dame initials: D.D. My brother gets to name any boys he has with the their first name starting with the letter "D". My sister in law's names start with a "K", so both my nieces have names starting with the letter "K". In my case, if my gf and I have kids, the girl names would start with and "L". Naming is complicated. Lol.
    I think the most important aspect of a name is for it not to be too strange. I find some of those more 'interesting' names the celebs give their kids quite depressing and I feel sorry for them. I have a middle name that I haven't quite figured out why I have it. I asked my mother and she says it just sounded good. I don't quite get that. :P
    MSFTisMIA likes this.
    10-02-2013 03:11 AM
    Damn. Cannot even crack the top posters list. Ironically at this moment all the top posters are regular posters on this thread. That says alot...
    We have taken control of WPC. Please do not adjust your set. :P
    martinmc78, BIGPADDY and MSFTisMIA like this.
    10-02-2013 03:12 AM
    Even though I just ran for an hour, I am not nearly awake enough to follow the last few pages of posts...
    There were some interesting things.
    Chregu likes this.
    10-02-2013 03:13 AM
    Mmm, quesadillas.
    I'll have to find a good Mexican restaurant. I just have trouble getting into Mexican food.
    10-02-2013 03:14 AM
    Oh, good morning. :)
    martinmc78 likes this.
    10-02-2013 03:22 AM
    I think the most important aspect of a name is for it not to be too strange. I find some of those more 'interesting' names the celebs give their kids quite depressing and I feel sorry for them. I have a middle name that I haven't quite figured out why I have it. I asked my mother and she says it just sounded good. I don't quite get that. :P
    I have my first name because my parents liked it, and my second name because it sounds good with my family name. A little tradition in our family is, that the oldest son always has the name of his father (I think my brother is the 6th). But my oldest brother doesn't have a son so far, maybe this tradition will soon be over.
    10-02-2013 03:23 AM
    Oh, good morning. :)
    Good morning to you, good sir, and good morning to everybody else too.
    N_LaRUE, martinmc78 and MSFTisMIA like this.
    10-02-2013 03:24 AM
    yawn,,,
    10-02-2013 04:09 AM
    Morning all.

Bit of shameless plugging about to happen but im also promoting a friends I.T. blog page so win-win. Hes an application package manager and the following is his take on the future of windows

‘The Only Way is Up’ | Camwood
    10-02-2013 04:12 AM
    Morning all.

Bit of shameless plugging about to happen but im also promoting a friends I.T. blog page so win-win. Hes an application package manager and the following is his take on the future of windows

‘The Only Way is Up’ | Camwood
    Shameless plug accepted. We now resume our regular program.
    MSFTisMIA likes this.
    10-02-2013 04:29 AM
    Morning all.

€˜The Only Way is Up€™ | Camwood
    Actually, I see many ways down for Microsoft.

Has any big company already switched to Windows 8? Are there any advantages on a productive computer over Windows 7?

Personally I haven't see a single one, but maybe they implemented stuff under the hood?

Shameless plug accepted. We now resume our regular program.
    I'm sorry, forget everything I wrote above.
    10-02-2013 04:30 AM
    Actually, I see many ways down for Microsoft.

Has any big company already switched to Windows 8? Are there any advantages on a productive computer over Windows 7?

Personally I haven't see a single one, but maybe they implemented stuff under the hood?
    No major company will upgrade to W8. We're just in the process of upgrading to W7. IT departments are conservative. They also have to keep costs down as well so the upgrade cycle is reduced as much as possible. Our company isn't using the 'newest' anything. It's similar of every company I have worked for in this industry. I'd expect its the same in all other companies that are multinational.
    10-02-2013 04:53 AM
    No major company will upgrade to W8. We're just in the process of upgrading to W7. IT departments are conservative. They also have to keep costs down as well so the upgrade cycle is reduced as much as possible. Our company isn't using the 'newest' anything. It's similar of every company I have worked for in this industry. I'd expect its the same in all other companies that are multinational.
    Yes, I know. But there were so many great reasons to switch from Windows XP to Windows 7.

I have no idea how liked Windows 8 actually is. I wonder if the common Windows 8 user (not people who defend Microsoft in forums ;-) ) does like Windows 8 or not. Of course, everybody hates it initially (overstatement), if you buy a new PC you just sit there with a system you can't handle (there's a tutorial, I have seen it many times on different computers, I have never seen it work: It starts, then nothing happens, then it just vanishes), but after a while, do people start to like it?
    10-02-2013 04:57 AM
    Yes, I know. But there were so many great reasons to switch from Windows XP to Windows 7.

I have no idea how liked Windows 8 actually is. I wonder if the common Windows 8 user (not people who defend Microsoft in forums ;-) ) does like Windows 8 or not. Of course, everybody hates it initially (overstatement), if you buy a new PC you just sit there with a system you can't handle (there's a tutorial, I have seen it many times on different computers, I have never seen it work: It starts, then nothing happens, then it just vanishes), but after a while, do people start to like it?
    Being honest 8 is a bit "meh" after a while - the initial "oooh shiny new tiles" wears off pretty quick as you start to wonder "how do I do this?" "how do I do that". Once you add in the learning curve its just an OS that you use everyday with some flaws.
    8.1 is a different beast and there are lots of "glad I can finally do that" moments. Ive found 8.1 is a joy to use compared to 8 and most of my "work" on it is done through desktop mode. Not having the jarring transition between the two modes makes a massive difference.
    N_LaRUE likes this.
    10-02-2013 05:04 AM
    Not having the jarring transition between the two modes makes a massive difference.
    I think this is the biggest complaint about W8 aside from the 'no Start button!!!!!!!' nonsense. I'm not sure how they plan to reduce this. If Metro on W8 becomes nothing more than an 'add-on' it will never gain traction and people will just simply stop using it.
    10-02-2013 05:16 AM
    They told me to never visit this thread... I couldn't resist @_@
    BIGPADDY likes this.
    10-02-2013 05:19 AM
    Once you add in the learning curve its just an OS that you use everyday with some flaws.
    8.1 is a different beast and there are lots of "glad I can finally do that" moments. Ive found 8.1 is a joy to use compared to 8 and most of my "work" on it is done through desktop mode. Not having the jarring transition between the two modes makes a massive difference.
    I haven't tested 8.1, but I'm really looking forward to its official release. I put a lot of hope into it :)
    10-02-2013 05:19 AM
    Looking at your signature, I really have to wonder: Were phones before 2010 just so much better that you could keep them for years?

Nokia 3310 for two years, the whatever phone for 3 years, and then you suddenly went through all those Windows Phones in a very short period of time.

Personally I had always a very high turn-over rate (also partially due to the fact, that my indestructible Lumia 800 fell onto the ground once and it was broken). But my 8X I want to keep another year.
    10-02-2013 05:23 AM
    I think this is the biggest complaint about W8 aside from the 'no Start button!!!!!!!' nonsense. I'm not sure how they plan to reduce this. If Metro on W8 becomes nothing more than an 'add-on' it will never gain traction and people will just simply stop using it.
    It depends I guess between user types and programs. Also depends on how many of the major work programs get converted to touch friendly apps. Currently theres a need for both. Only the software companies know if the future is metro or desktop
    10-02-2013 05:32 AM
    Who are 'they' and where do we find 'them'.... we need new blood...
    10-02-2013 05:34 AM
    It depends I guess between user types and programs. Also depends on how many of the major work programs get converted to touch friendly apps. Currently theres a need for both. Only the software companies know if the future is metro or desktop
    I just can't imagine any complex software being touch friendly. The software I use for cloning has so many options and settings that are needed, I don't see how this could work with Metro (Real Metro, not the Office 2013 Metro). Also other examples like Photoshop or AutoCAD with a lot of options that also need a high accuracy in using them.
    10-02-2013 05:36 AM
    Well some software I can't really see going to touch at this stage or how such would even be implemented. Touch isn't so much the issue as the flicking between Metro and Desktop. My only solution to this is to get rid of the Desktop or reduce it's use. Whether they can get normal 'desktop' programs to run in the Metro environment is the question.
    10-02-2013 05:36 AM
145,292 ... 413414415416417 ...