I was referring to the barber being closed.

That's not a worse thing, that's the same thing.
    03-25-2015 04:14 AM
    That's not a worse thing, that's the same thing.
    I think you're a bit confused. Allow me to clarify.

you - I had get a haircut this afternoon and the barber shop was closed.
    me - Worse things can happen.

All I meant is that if that's the worse thing that has happened today then you've had a good day. That's all.
    03-25-2015 04:17 AM
    I think you're a bit confused. Allow me to clarify.

you - I had get a haircut this afternoon and the barber shop was closed.
    me - Worse things can happen.

All I meant is that if that's the worse thing that has happened today then you've had a good day. That's all.

What you meant earlier was: Worse things can happen than the barber shop being closed.
    What you're trying to say now is: The barber shop being closed is the worse thing that has happened to you today.
    03-25-2015 04:22 AM
    What you meant earlier was: Worse things can happen than the barber shop being closed.
    What you're trying to say now is: The barber shop being closed is the worse thing that has happened to you today.
    What I'm trying to tell you is that in the English language sometimes we say things that are not exactly the 'normal' grammatical way. I simply shortened the sentence. An English speaker would have understood that.
    sahib lopez likes this.
    03-25-2015 04:45 AM
    What I'm trying to tell you is that in the English language sometimes we say things that are not exactly the 'normal' grammatical way. I simply shortened the sentence. An English speaker would have understood that.

I think you shortened the sentence too much. An English speaker would have as easily misunderstood as I did.
    03-25-2015 04:50 AM
    I think you shortened the sentence too much. An English speaker would have as easily misunderstood as I did.
    If you say so.
    03-25-2015 04:58 AM
    Morning folks. I see we're in English language class today. Seriously though, English is a ****ty language.

Penned on a Xperia Z3
    N_LaRUE likes this.
    03-25-2015 06:39 AM
    Morning folks. I see we're in English language class today. Seriously though, English is a ****ty language.

Penned on a Xperia Z3
    Yes I agree totally. It wasn't until my wife took a course to teach English that I started to realise how horrible English really is. It has a lot aspects of it that make it really difficult for someone to pick up.
    03-25-2015 06:47 AM
    Yes I agree totally. It wasn't until my wife took a course to teach English that I started to realise how horrible English really is. It has a lot aspects of it that make it really difficult for someone to pick up.
    Lead rhymes with read
    Lead also rhymes with read.
    03-25-2015 07:01 AM
    The first rule of English is that there's an exception to every rule. That alone should tell you how ****ty the language is...

Penned on a Xperia Z3
    N_LaRUE and sahib lopez like this.
    03-25-2015 07:27 AM

English can be beautiful at times.
    What I dislike the most is that some people after learning English only use cuss words such as those starting with "f" and the like.
    Using those words sometimes is okay, to blow off steam.
    Being able to talk in a decent way is a skill one should at least try to master.
    Some people use those bad words unconsciously when they know they shouldn't say those in front of an honourable person or persons. And due to this, people like these fail in interviews or when giving speeches.
    N_LaRUE likes this.
    03-25-2015 07:36 AM
    My Cortana is now British... or should I say English.
    N_LaRUE and Fire 29 like this.
    03-25-2015 07:38 AM
    The first rule of English is that there's an exception to every rule. That alone should tell you how ****ty the language is...

Penned on a Xperia Z3
    i before e except after c, with exceptions?
    03-25-2015 07:40 AM
    My Cortana is now British... or should I say English.

As long as she's "your" Cortana . . . . It's fine.
    03-25-2015 07:42 AM
    English can be beautiful at times.
    What I dislike the most is that some people after learning English only use cuss words such as those starting with "f" and the like.
    Using those words sometimes is okay, to blow off steam.
    Being able to talk in a decent way is a skill one should at least try to master.
    Some people use those bad words unconsciously when they know they shouldn't say those in front of an honourable person or persons. And due to this, people like these fail in interviews or when giving speeches.
    In language, 99% of the time the first thing you learn to say is curse words, after hello, thank you and good-bye.

I know English, like all langues, has it's beauty and quirks.
    Fire 29 and sahib lopez like this.
    03-25-2015 07:42 AM
    In language, 99% of the time the first thing you learn to say is curse words, after hello, thank you and good-bye.

I know English, like all langues, has it's beauty and quirks.

Yep that's true.
    03-25-2015 07:44 AM
    As long as she's "your" Cortana . . . . It's fine.
    And she's screwing me at the moment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    03-25-2015 07:50 AM
    Boys at my age use curse words in every second sentence but I'm completely different in that respect. It's a skill which I learned at an early age.
    Even when I'm angry I don't usually use these words. For example instead of saying : Mother****ing basta*d
    I would say: Go to hell
    There's a huge difference in those two statements.
    03-25-2015 07:51 AM
    Boys at my age use curse words in every second sentence but I'm completely different in that respect. It's a skill which I learned at an early age.
    Even when I'm angry I don't usually use these words. For example instead of saying : Mother****ing basta*d
    Yes, in one sentence you're saying they screw mothers and are fatherless. The other you're sending them to eternal damnation. Personally, I'll take the first one. :P
    worldspy99 and sahib lopez like this.
    03-25-2015 07:53 AM
    A lot depends on upbringing to some extent and the people you hang around with. I was very 'street' because I was independent and had friends who used those words often. I don't take offence to them easily and I don't try to use them often either these days. Doesn't mean I don't use them however.
    03-25-2015 07:55 AM
    Here's something from one of the greatest word smiths in comedy.

Seven dirty words - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Contains naughty words. :P
    sahib lopez likes this.
    03-25-2015 08:00 AM
    A lot depends on upbringing to some extent and the people you hang around with. I was very 'street' because I was independent and had friends who used those words often. I don't take offence to them easily and I don't try to use them often either these days. Doesn't mean I don't use them however.

I used to be around people who used these words too much. Some of these were false friends and I've left them behind now.
    Still I was able to protect myself from all these evils.
    03-25-2015 08:01 AM
    Here's something from one of the greatest word smiths in comedy.

Seven dirty words - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Contains naughty words. :P

Only viewing it because its on Wikipedia.
    03-25-2015 08:02 AM
    I used to be around people who used these words too much. Some of these were false friends and I've left them behind now.
    Still I was able to protect myself from all these evils.
    Evils? Are you going through purification or something? Do curse words cause evil?

Evil is a very trivial word in some ways. I personally don't believe in the concept. I go with good and bad as a baseline and then I try to sort the shades of grey between them.
    sahib lopez likes this.
    03-25-2015 08:04 AM
    Only viewing it because its on Wikipedia.
    Sure you are.... ;-)
    03-25-2015 08:05 AM
142,848 ... 42084209421042114212 ...