I'm originally from Canada and I lived in Australia prior to moving to the UK. In both those countries the term engineer is taken quite seriously. Here in the UK it gets bandied about rather readily. So I like to make sure that people don't assume that I am an engineer that has any legal designation as I haven't done any legal tests or have qualifications that are legally bound by law.
    Indeed - Engineer in the UK has been far too diluted. You get Binmen going round calling themselves refuse disposal engineers. Everyone wants a title. Personally I sometimes call myself a Design engineer as well if asked what I do for a living. People seem to accept that as a job. If I tell someone outside my industry im a BIM Implementation Manager it kinda ends the conversation.
    10-09-2013 10:52 AM
    I'm originally from Canada and I lived in Australia prior to moving to the UK. In both those countries the term engineer is taken quite seriously. Here in the UK it gets bandied about rather readily. So I like to make sure that people don't assume that I am an engineer that has any legal designation as I haven't done any legal tests or have qualifications that are legally bound by law.
    I was only joking with you :) Yeah being an engineer i agree the term in the UK is used far too loosely and broadly
    10-09-2013 10:52 AM
    I was only joking with you :) Yeah being an engineer i agree the term in the UK is used far too loosely and broadly
    Oh I knew you were joking with me I was just venting. :P

I've been doing this stupid thing I'm on for the last few days and just when I think I'm done there's a change or something different needs to be done. It's tiring.
    10-09-2013 10:55 AM
    Indeed - Engineer in the UK has been far too diluted. You get Binmen going round calling themselves refuse disposal engineers. Everyone wants a title. Personally I sometimes call myself a Design engineer as well if asked what I do for a living. People seem to accept that as a job. If I tell someone outside my industry im a BIM Implementation Manager it kinda ends the conversation.
    Funny I just mention Electrical Design Engineer and that usually stops the conversation anyway. LOL! Most people simply can't relate to electricity even though they use it on a regluar basis. I then mention I work on industrial plants and well that's the end of that. :P
    10-09-2013 10:57 AM
    Funny I just mention Electrical Design Engineer and that usually stops the conversation anyway. LOL! Most people simply can't relate to electricity even though they use it on a regluar basis. I then mention I work on industrial plants and well that's the end of that. :P
    Lol i can understand that i hated the electrical engineering modules of my degree much prefered the electronic modules
    10-09-2013 11:03 AM
    I then mention I work on industrial plants and well that's the end of that. :P
    How much water do they need a day?

Always appeals to my inner child when the word plant is used for anything other than a plant.

Like the signs you get that say "WARNING HEAVY PLANT CROSSING"

Without fail I always picture a big tree in a large pot round its middle walking across the road.

Maybe that's just growing up with monty python and Terry Gilliam's deranged cartoons.

Ive been warped.
    N_LaRUE likes this.
    10-09-2013 11:04 AM
    I thought chemistry was more like LEGO if im honest. Could never get my head around biology but if it involved some form of chemistry I was ok.
    Biology is chemistry on a more macroscopic level. And we usually use organism derived enzymes as the reactions are much more complex.

Of course I'm a molecular biologist. For example people looking at chimpanzees, trying to find a difference between them and us, they might have a different view.
    10-09-2013 11:06 AM
    I have a lot of trouble with the basic physics of electricity. I always forget what is what. Well, I always know that Ohm is the resistance. Like Bigpaddy's and mine resistance to liberate WPC!!!
    BIGPADDY likes this.
    10-09-2013 11:08 AM
    Ohm is the measurement of resistance. Ohms law is quite different.
    10-09-2013 11:14 AM
    Biology is chemistry on a more macroscopic level. And we usually use organism derived enzymes as the reactions are much more complex.

Of course I'm a molecular biologist. For example people looking at chimpanzees, trying to find a difference between them and us, they might have a different view.
    UCL's Molecular Biology building is just round the corner from where I am now. Strange to think that somewhere in there someone is probably doing exactly the same thing as you
    N_LaRUE and Chregu like this.
    10-09-2013 11:16 AM
    Ohm is the measurement of resistance. Ohms law is quite different.
    Well, all I like about electricity is taking a supraconducter, putting it into liquid nitrogen and letting magnets levitate.
    10-09-2013 11:18 AM
    Well, all I like about electricity is taking a supraconducter, putting it into liquid nitrogen and letting magnets levitate.
    have to admit I haven't done that. I used to like charging capacitors and discharging by short circuiting it.
    10-09-2013 11:27 AM
    I have a lot of trouble with the basic physics of electricity. I always forget what is what. Well, I always know that Ohm is the resistance. Like Bigpaddy's and mine resistance to liberate WPC!!!
    VIVA LA Resistance!!!
    10-09-2013 11:37 AM
    I work with computers does that make me a electrician?
    10-09-2013 11:38 AM
    VIVA LA Resistance!!!
    and so it happens the cakes are taking over and you are fighting the cake empire !
    BIGPADDY likes this.
    10-09-2013 11:39 AM
    no I makes you a cake eater
    BIGPADDY likes this.
    10-09-2013 11:39 AM
    so I put it on my self starting to day I will start to use the home button instead of my back button on my phone will see how it goes
    10-09-2013 11:40 AM
    No.
    BIGPADDY and Chregu like this.
    10-09-2013 11:40 AM
    and so it happens the cakes are taking over and you are fighting the cake empire !
    We must work together to fight cake empire with there lollipops of doom!
    10-09-2013 11:41 AM
    so I put it on my self starting to day I will start to use the home button instead of my back button on my phone will see how it goes
    I would like the search button to be gone I accidentally press it so many times.
    10-09-2013 11:42 AM
    No.
    -.-
    10-09-2013 11:43 AM
    Magic!!!
    10-09-2013 11:44 AM
    so looks like snowflake and coffee guy and dead pool are always the ones who talk in the morning Bp is the one filling in from late morning to early afternoon then its MSFTISMIA from late afternoon to early night then its me with guitar guy from early night to later at night with something laura at night... I wonder if I missed anyone
    BIGPADDY and MSFTisMIA like this.
    10-09-2013 11:44 AM
    We must work together to fight cake empire with there lollipops of doom!
    TRI-TIP is our ally
    10-09-2013 11:45 AM
    No it makes you a geek :P
    BIGPADDY likes this.
    10-09-2013 11:47 AM
142,797 ... 455456457458459 ...