Mini-review! Mini-review!

Oh, and when are you getting that 950?

G4 Approved
    I think right now I'll hold off on the 950. After buying a new 8 inch tablet and my new band. I already spent 400+ in just a month
    04-01-2016 10:45 PM
    I'll write up my mini review for my hp note evny 8 tomorrow since I wanted to use it for 2 weeks
    MSFTisMIA and Laura Knotek like this.
    04-01-2016 10:46 PM
    So I've got a buddy of mine who plays the drums.. Says he's been working on Tom Sawyer by Rush. He wants me to come play it with him... I've honestly never really learned that song all the way through. Come to find out, what I thought was a simple song, is actually pretty tough! It's from what, like 1981? But back when bands were talented and put a lot of musical thought into their songwriting.

Being a "drum-centric" song, the guitar parts, Alex Lifeson's solo, is exceptionally difficult for me to get the timing right. I've tried probably 50 takes tonight trying to record it! lol ugghh
    04-01-2016 10:47 PM
    With the Google Now launcher it was just fine for me. I might pick one up once my refund for the unit I bought comes back. In the meantime I will enjoy my 640 as usual.

Just waiting for my Surface Pro 3 to arrive tomorrow.
    Enjoy the SP3.

Approved by Z3 Tablet Compact!
    Laura Knotek and worldspy99 like this.
    04-01-2016 11:36 PM
    So I've got a buddy of mine who plays the drums.. Says he's been working on Tom Sawyer by Rush. He wants me to come play it with him... I've honestly never really learned that song all the way through. Come to find out, what I thought was a simple song, is actually pretty tough! It's from what, like 1981? But back when bands were talented and put a lot of musical thought into their songwriting.

Being a "drum-centric" song, the guitar parts, Alex Lifeson's solo, is exceptionally difficult for me to get the timing right. I've tried probably 50 takes tonight trying to record it! lol ugghh
    I am a huge fan of Rush and a former keyboard player. Rush is very difficult to play, since they use a lot of odd time and switch between odd/even time in the same song. Yes and ELP are equally difficult. "Tom Sawyer" isn't bad to play compared to "YYZ".

I saw Rush back in 1991 on the "Roll the Bones" tour.

04-02-2016 12:33 AM

Very hard song to play.
    Ed Boland likes this.
    04-02-2016 12:44 AM

Very hard song to play.
    Oh yeah, I know the whole album very well. It's just one I've never learned how to play for some reason. Yeah YYZ is a very technical piece... That one'll take some practice.. I do do a rendition of Red Barchetta on the guitar come to think of it.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-02-2016 01:42 AM
    "Former" keyboard player Laura? You gave it up?
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-02-2016 01:43 AM
    "Former" keyboard player Laura? You gave it up?
    I didn't have time for it during college and don't have an instrument any more.

I'd love to get a Minimoog some day.
    04-02-2016 01:52 AM

Here's one of the recordings I did tonight. I'll probably get a copyright notice for playing the actual song in the background :/
    Laura Knotek and sahib lopez like this.
    04-02-2016 01:54 AM

Here's one of the recordings I did tonight. I'll probably get a copyright notice for playing the actual song in the background :/
    That's pretty good!
    Ed Boland likes this.
    04-02-2016 01:57 AM
    I didn't have time for it during college and don't have an instrument any more.

I'd love to get a Minimoog some day.
    Just get an iPad and an iRig "Keys Pro" MIDI controller keyboard. That what I did for my MiniMoog fix and it sounds amazing! The Synthezizer apps will surprise you at how far they've come!
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-02-2016 01:58 AM

So you're Alex, and your friend is Neil. Do you have a Geddy?
    04-02-2016 02:06 AM
    That's pretty good!
    Thanks, I'm still polishing it. It'll sound a lot better recorded through the mixing/multitrack as a line-level recording rather than recorded audio of the ambient room sounds (raw sound from the guitar strings vs the actual recorded audio) by using the iPhone camera (or 1520, whichever) know what I mean?
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-02-2016 02:06 AM
    So you're Alex, and your friend is Neil. Do you have a Geddy?
    lol no, you wanna be Geddy? :D
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-02-2016 02:07 AM
    lol no, you wanna be Geddy? :D
    I have no clue how to play bass.
    04-02-2016 02:08 AM
    Heh... My friend wishes he was Neil! lol
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-02-2016 02:08 AM
    I have no clue how to play bass.
    You don't have to! Just play the bass lines on the keyboard. And then do Geddys keyboard parts ;)
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-02-2016 02:10 AM
    I'm up waaaaay past my bedtime!
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-02-2016 02:11 AM
    You don't have to! Just play the bass lines on the keyboard. And then do Geddys keyboard parts ;)
    I could probably use the bass pedals for the bass lines. That's what Geddy does when he plays keyboard. I know bass pedals, since I was an electric organ player back in the day.

Moog makes the Taurus pedals.Geddy Lee on the Taurus | Moog Music Inc
    Ed Boland and MSFTisMIA like this.
    04-02-2016 02:15 AM
    I'm up waaaaay past my bedtime!
    Me too!
    Ed Boland likes this.
    04-02-2016 02:15 AM
    Speaking of organs, I always wanted to play a pipe organ. I knew a guy who repaired and installed pipe organs. He said he'd take me to a church when no services were happening, so I could try out a pipe organ. Unfortunately, he moved out of state.

Playing a pipe organ is something that would require assistance from someone who knows about how they work. Playing too loudly literally could damage the structure of the building.
    MSFTisMIA and Ed Boland like this.
    04-02-2016 02:37 AM
    Speaking of organs, I always wanted to play a pipe organ. I knew a guy who repaired and installed pipe organs. He said he'd take me to a church when no services were happening, so I could try out a pipe organ. Unfortunately, he moved out of state.

Playing a pipe organ is something that would require assistance from someone who knows about how they work. Playing too loudly literally could damage the structure of the building.
    Ooh I've always wanted to have a seat in front of one of those as well! Like the one in London that Hans Zimmer used to record the Interstellar soundtrack on.
    Last edited by Ed Boland; 04-02-2016 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Mispelled London
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-02-2016 08:12 AM
    There's actually some really good pipe organ apps for iOS that simulate that sound very well. I have a couple of the free (demo) ones that have some of the features neutered. They're rather expensive... Like $79 for one for example!

Napo
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-02-2016 08:20 AM
    Here's some of the best Synth apps (in my opinion) for iOS. Most of these are available for iPad only. I've racked up probably over $100 in synth apps alone...

Arturia iMini - $4.99
    Arturia iSEM - $9.99
    Propellerhead's THOR - $14.99
    Yonac's Magellan - $14.99
    Moog AniMoog - $29.99
    Korg iM1 - $29.99

That's just naming a few that I've purchased. If you have to pick one, I'd definitely recommend Propellerhead's THOR synth... it's an amazing synthesizer! I mean you will get lost for hours!
    MSFTisMIA and Laura Knotek like this.
    04-02-2016 08:42 AM
144,480 ... 48204821482248234824 ...