The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
    It's 'Make Britain Great again." Here's a graphic explaining that:

Attachment 127991
    That I didn't know. I leaned something today 😁 thanks
    N_LaRUE likes this.
    06-30-2016 05:35 PM
    This idea of Britain being great again is a complex statement. A lot of people have related it to more 'empire' type thinking, which I'm sure some people foster but really we're talking about a time of around the late 70's and early 80's.

To explain you need to understand what was happening at this point in time. There was a recession early on but the economy was changing for the better. A prime minister was in power, Margret Thatcher. Depending on where you live and how you came out economically at the other end determines your feelings for this particular person.

Ronald Reagan has a similar divisiveness about him as his policies were very similar to Thatchers. Not sure who copied who. I personally hate both of them for their policies but that's neither here nor there. I'm giving a quick history lesson.

Basically what you have happening in the 80s is the birth of the global market as it is today. You're used to it but growing up in it and dealing with the vast changes it bought has been tough for a lot of people. Gone was the idea of stable employment. Gone to was the idea of large quantities of blue collar jobs. Most importantly, gone was the unions power. Now I have both a good view and a negative view of unions. But I'll leave that for another time.

Basically Margret Thatcher set out to deregulate everything and take the power away from the unions. This is how you know that the UK is very different than the rest of the EU. In the EU the unions still have a lot of power but there is movements in certain countries trying to change that now.

What happened is that she sold off lots of state owned companies. There were strikes by a lot of unions, the biggest being the miners strike that lasted for a over a year. At the end, mines closed, even profitable ones, others were sold off. Thousands of people loss jobs. As the global economy ramped up lots of other industries followed the money to China and other emerging markets seeking cheap manufacturing and labour costs.

So to put this into perspective. The mid and north part of England, where most of this stuff is, is a complete wasteland of people mourning about the past when times were good. Mining, fishing, textiles and all other manufacturing has suffered causing massive economic downturns in the north. However, London continued to thrive regardless. Hence the division within the country.

To add to all this mess, you then bring in free movement of people to the mix from the EU. Immigration starts to soar as Poland and other Eastern European countries enters the EU bringing with it it's own set of complications.

Now due to UK policy, let's be clear about that, not EU, companies have taken advantage of the cheap labour available within these Eastern EU countries. Therefore wages have suffered in areas where wages and employment were problematic already. Add to that the added strain on public services and you can then start to understand the bigger picture here.

Where London has prospered with the influx of immigration as have other areas, the north, south and mid parts of England feel they have suffered from it. They mistrust the politicians, they dislike the EU and blame it for the problems that they have.

The thing is, the policies that have made the big mess out of this has been UK policy, not EU. Successive UK governments have continually pointed to the EU as being the bad guy. So it's not surprising that many people believed that the EU was a bad thing for the UK. Add in the refugee crisis, increases in immigration, the economic downturn in the Euro and all the austerity measures and you can see why selling the EU to the UK populace wasn't going to be easy.

Thing is, the government and even the leave campaign didn't think the UK would vote out. There was no contingency plan for an out vote as they felt it was never going to happen. This is why it's a complete mess at the moment with a big upheaval in the political sphere and why companies aren't sure what to do.

All I know is that I'm waiting to see what happens with the EU talks before I make any permanent plans one way or the other. I don't see the UK being a pleasant place for the next 5-10 years.
    That is quite the history lesson. Sucks that its all happening now.
    Laura Knotek and N_LaRUE like this.
    06-30-2016 05:45 PM
    Morning folks. The first line of this song summarizes where I'm at today...

Posted via Moto Maxx
    Same ol **** just a different day :p
    Azensun likes this.
    06-30-2016 05:47 PM
    So, in tech news...i like how the process of the 950 single SIM are falling. I may grab one in September once things settle down for me. Don't think the new software will completely improve it, but hey, it'll do what i need to get done.

Posted via Moto Maxx
    By then ill have my after the buzz review lol :p
    MSFTisMIA likes this.
    06-30-2016 05:49 PM
    On purpose or? Why would you do that?
    It was to play a joke on someone a friend introduced me to.
    Rose640 likes this.
    06-30-2016 08:36 PM
    Therefore, I cannot ride for at least a week.
    06-30-2016 10:57 PM
    https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...3d872c578a.jpg
    That sucks. At least it's only a week. :)

What happened?
    06-30-2016 11:24 PM
    That is quite the history lesson. Sucks that its all happening now.
    I sort of get what you're saying... I think.
    06-30-2016 11:29 PM
    I once tricked someone into thinking I was British, since I managed to pull off the received pronunciation despite my normal dialect being US Midwestern.

I also tricked folks into thinking I was British by using English UK in emails.
    I've been told a couple of times I sound Irish. Occasionally I sound British or I have what's known as an international accent. Mongrel in otherwords.

Thing is my accent changes depending on who I'm talking to as well. So my mother never hears my mixed up accent.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-30-2016 11:34 PM
    We are on the move, it's about 4h drive :)
    azcruz, Laura Knotek and N_LaRUE like this.
    06-30-2016 11:36 PM
    That sucks. At least it's only a week. :)

What happened?
    I hit the trail but it was too muddy and decided to discontinue the ride. Got my ankle sprained as I was taking the bike off the muddy trail.

futile-heroes.jpg
    Rose640 likes this.
    07-01-2016 12:09 AM
    Ouch! I hope you'll be feeling better soon.
    azcruz likes this.
    07-01-2016 01:15 AM
    I hit the trail but it was too muddy and decided to discontinue the ride. Got my ankle sprained as I was taking the bike off the muddy trail.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Futile at Heroes.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	194.4 KB 
ID:	128042
    Well that's just crazy. You'd think you'd get hurt riding, not walking. :P

Hope you recover quickly. :)
    Laura Knotek and azcruz like this.
    07-01-2016 01:15 AM
    Been there. Twice. Is it broken?
    N_LaRUE, azcruz and Laura Knotek like this.
    07-01-2016 03:19 AM
    We arrived :D
    Weather should be nice :D
    N_LaRUE and Laura Knotek like this.
    07-01-2016 04:32 AM
    Been there. Twice. Is it broken?

Fortunately not...
    07-01-2016 06:05 AM
    Ouch!
    07-01-2016 06:10 AM
    Morning gang...
    N_LaRUE and Rose640 like this.
    07-01-2016 06:11 AM
    Fortunately not...
    I can't say I was as lucky as you were. I wrote about it few months ago, not a nice thing to experience.
    The worst thing about it was not the pain, but the fact I was not capable to move. Such a PITA.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-01-2016 06:29 AM
    Morning gang...
    Morning Ed. It's finally hot here, summer's kicking in.
    Ed Boland and Laura Knotek like this.
    07-01-2016 06:31 AM
    Morning folks. I'm on roller skates so far today...too busy this morning...

Posted via Moto Maxx
    Last edited by MSFTisMIA; 07-01-2016 at 01:10 PM.
    Azensun, Rose640, N_LaRUE and 3 others like this.
    07-01-2016 10:10 AM
    Hi everyone! SO glad it's Friday, and a long weekend at that (for those of us in the U.S.).
    07-01-2016 10:55 AM
    Morning Ed. It's finally hot here, summer's kicking in.
    Around here, the quote is, 'It's STILL summer?!?!'
    07-01-2016 11:00 AM
    Around here, the quote is, 'It's STILL summer?!?!'
    Huh? Didn't quite get that one.
    N_LaRUE likes this.
    07-01-2016 11:10 AM
    Huh? Didn't quite get that one.
    He probably lives somewhere around Equator or somewhere where it's hot most of the year I guess.
    Laura Knotek and Rose640 like this.
    07-01-2016 12:29 PM
142,852 ... 50335034503550365037 ...