WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

When I was really young, I remember going to my great aunt's house. She lived in an old neighbourhood, in a house that was originally built in the 19th Century.

Her house had a cellar with a dirt floor. The house had a furnace in a room, but there was no duct work, so the furnace just heated the entire house based upon dispersion of the heat.

The bathroom, with bathtub, toilet and sink, was an addition onto the house. It did not get much heat at all.

I learned later that many people did not have bathrooms in their houses here in the 19th and early 20th Centuries. They had outhouses in their back yards. They went to bath houses to bathe.

Lincoln Park Baths | Cleveland Historical

An old public bath house was converted into upscale condos in the mid-90s. That neighbourhood has art walks monthly. During one art walk, I explored the ruins of the old bath house, prior to the renovation, along with some friends. We haven't toured the condos since they've been built. That same neighbourhood is where St Theodosius Russian Orthodox Cathedral is located. That was the church where the wedding scene in The Deer Hunter was filmed.

There were many public bath houses here in the UK. They got a bit of a shady reputation.

It wasn't until after WWII that toilets became common in new homes and it was up until the 70s that some older houses were still being fitted. I recall a documentary I saw recently that talked about whole neighbourhoods only having one or two toilets at one point in time that was publicly used. That was in the 1900s in cities.

I am very happy things have changed so much for the better in this regard!

Sport Driver

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site

Some new builds do this and I recall many in Canada that had this as well.

What I have trouble getting used to is carpet in the bathroom and we even had it in the kitchen... so unhygienic!
Some people don't have carpets in bathroom? 😮 We have them in bathroom and kitchen. The one in kitchen has to be replaced every year.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site

Very financy day today at work. Bit depressing. I've been told I'm creating more work for myself than I really need to when I'm at work, so trying to scale back too!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

There were many public bath houses here in the UK. They got a bit of a shady reputation.

It wasn't until after WWII that toilets became common in new homes and it was up until the 70s that some older houses were still being fitted. I recall a documentary I saw recently that talked about whole neighbourhoods only having one or two toilets at one point in time that was publicly used. That was in the 1900s in cities.

I am very happy things have changed so much for the better in this regard!

Talk about being in a s****y situation when there's a line for the can...

Approved by Z3 Tablet Compact!

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Ops my bad I mean Flower ._.
And you spelled it wrong again! I hope this isn't how you are going to communicate once you get a job, or have typos like this in your r?sum?! Just rejected a couple of resumes for typos two days ago. Irony is the guys were claiming to be detail oriented, yeah right!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Some people don't have carpets in bathroom? �� We have them in bathroom and kitchen. The one in kitchen has to be replaced every year.

Bathrooms and kitchens are typically tiled these days. It's more hygienic as it's easy to clean.

People from my generation and younger would rip the carpet out of bathrooms and kitchens and put tiles or other flooring in.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

That's interesting, because my parents got a dishwasher in their house in 1975. The house was originally built in 1957. They tore out part of the kitchen cabinets and put the dishwasher in that spot.

It's only apartments that usually don't have dishwashers here.
When I got my first job in the USA, first order of business was to find an apartment with a dishwasher, washer and dryer😀

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Fairly common in the EU. Ours is like that but we don't use that function too often.

My sister tried a front loader in Canada and it leaked. I never had that issue with them. I think she over loaded it.

Most of the washers in laundromats here are front loaders. The washer in the laundry room of my apartment is a front loader. Three of my cousins have front loaders.

I've never experienced leakage, nor have my cousins.

I think you're probably right wrt user error with your sister's washer.
I love front loading machines, very water efficient.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

And you spelled it wrong again! I hope this isn't how you are going to communicate once you get a job, or have typos like this in your r?sum?! Just rejected a couple of resumes for typos two days ago. Irony is the guys were claiming to be detail oriented, yeah right!
And I don't want you responding to the post just for the sake of typing something in return!

Sport Driver

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site

Bathrooms and kitchens are typically tiled these days. It's more hygienic as it's easy to clean.

People from my generation and younger would rip the carpet out of bathrooms and kitchens and put tiles or other flooring in.
We have tiles in the bathroom but also 2 carpets on the floor.

Sent from my Motorola Moto G 2014

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

We have tiles in the bathroom but also 2 carpets on the floor.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Just to clarify here. Carpet means the whole floor is covered. Rugs are what you are referring to which is partial cover. (yeah we have two words for the same thing) Yes we have those in bathrooms, not necessarily in the kitchen. It is common in Finland to have them in the kitchen though.

Sport Driver

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Just to clarify here. Carpet means the whole floor is covered. Rugs are what you are referring to which is partial cover. (yeah we have two words for the same thing) Yes we have those in bathrooms, not necessarily in the kitchen. It is common in Finland to have them in the kitchen though.
Oh, ok never heard of anyone having whole floor in bathroom or in kitchen covered with carpet. That would have been just awful, how long would it take for carpet to get dry if you stepped on it with wet feet. So yeah, we have tiles in the bathroom and cork floor in the kitchen.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Oh, ok never heard of anyone having whole floor in bathroom or in kitchen covered with carpet. That would have been just awful, how long would it take for carpet to get dry if you stepped on it with wet feet. So yeah, we have tiles in the bathroom and cork floor in the kitchen.

I've seen both here. :/

I've seen carpet in the bathroom in Canada as well. Never in the kitchen though.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

My first house in USA had one bathroom with carpet which I tiled it once I bought it. The current house that I am getting has carpeted floors in both the bathrooms 😐

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

that's pretty new to me .....I would of never guessed that the washer was in the kitchen :p its just one of those things that makes me go " huh that's new"

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes