Hmm interesting. That's good to know, thank you.

What makes it better for you (I mean liking the s8 over the s7 edge)? The display? Battery life? Something else?
    Ability to use the phone one handed is markedly improved with the S8 over the S7e.
    Display and battery life are not that different.
    MSFTisMIA and libra89 like this.
    07-25-2017 04:39 PM
    So I like the look of the Moto Z² Force. I don't like the smaller battery and am indifferent about the missing headphone jack. I dislike the price. I'm wary about the camera and Moto software update policy. Still, I'll go look at it in the stores.
    $750 for a 64GB + 4GB RAM model in the US when there's a 128GB + 6GB model out? Come on, man.

Well, they went the no OIS way with the cameras too. We'll see how they perform. I suppose what I want to see is the Moto X update. After that, it's on to the Note 8, V30, Pixel (XL) and iFruit announcement.

Oh, and there's Sony's usual 6 month release and then the Essential Phone and OnePlus likely doing a processor refresh model. So far, honestly...this time last year has much better variety of offerings overall.
    libra89 likes this.
    07-25-2017 05:19 PM
    I like the weather here in LA.

Sent from mTalk on my 950xl
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-25-2017 05:29 PM
    Ability to use the phone one handed is markedly improved with the S8 over the S7e.
    Display and battery life are not that different.
    Gotcha. That raises an important point that I didn't think about. Maybe I should try to find a s8 too.
    07-25-2017 05:35 PM
    That's awesome. Conferences are good places to learn new things and network. Glad you enjoyed it.
    Thank you! It also gave me new motivation as well to aim getting into the program. I have been struggling with it but I feel like it will be worth it for me.
    07-25-2017 05:38 PM
    Thank you! It also gave me new motivation as well to aim getting into the program. I have been struggling with it but I feel like it will be worth it for me.
    They can be very motivating. Good for you!
    libra89 and Laura Knotek like this.
    07-25-2017 05:39 PM
    $750 for a 64GB + 4GB RAM model in the US when there's a 128GB + 6GB model out? Come on, man.

Well, they went the no OIS way with the cameras too. We'll see how they perform. I suppose what I want to see is the Moto X update. After that, it's on to the Note 8, V30, Pixel (XL) and iFruit announcement.

Oh, and there's Sony's usual 6 month release and then the Essential Phone and OnePlus likely doing a processor refresh model. So far, honestly...this time last year has much better variety of offerings overall.
    I caught up on AC and from what I see, I agree. It being on all carriers is good but that seems to be the best thing I can see at this time.
    MSFTisMIA and Laura Knotek like this.
    07-25-2017 05:55 PM
    Wow, I see something that can possibly change my future. I have to call tomorrow to confirm what I'm seeing.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-25-2017 06:49 PM
    Thank you! It was an interesting conference.

It was a conference for academic libraries (librarians and library staff both included) and it was really good. It was nice to see some people who look like me doing this too, along with other young people in the field too. The sessions were great and I went with two of my coworkers (We all rode separately). I'm glad that I went.
    Glad to hear it. Had an ex who went to seminary school who turned around and did library studies. Can be interesting stuff.
    07-25-2017 06:52 PM
    Wow, I see something that can possibly change my future. I have to call tomorrow to confirm what I'm seeing.
    I hope this is a positive change!?
    07-25-2017 06:53 PM
    I caught up on AC and from what I see, I agree. It being on all carriers is good but that seems to be the best thing I can see at this time.
    Unless the camera is stupendous, getting a Z from last year can do the trick just fine... especially since they can be had on the cheap.
    libra89 likes this.
    07-25-2017 06:55 PM
    I hope this is a positive change!?
    Yep! It can change my process of how I'm applying to this MLIS program.
    MSFTisMIA and Laura Knotek like this.
    07-25-2017 06:58 PM
    Yep! It can change my process of how I'm applying to this MLIS program.
    I see. Fingers crossed for you. Hope it works out.
    libra89 likes this.
    07-25-2017 07:03 PM
    I see. Fingers crossed for you. Hope it works out.
    Thank you. It would be awesome if what I see is really the deal.
    MSFTisMIA likes this.
    07-25-2017 08:56 PM
    Gotcha. That raises an important point that I didn't think about. Maybe I should try to find a s8 too.
    Because I'm the queen of indecisiveness, I think I'm going to return the S7 Edge. Until 99's comment, I didn't think to check the height of the s8 against the s7 edge. The s8 is shorter (I already knew that it was narrower though). Will debate returning against not returning for sure.
    07-25-2017 09:04 PM

US: 64GB + 4GB RAM
    China: 128GB + 6GB RAM
    Everyone else: 64GB + 6GB RAM

Should have just dropped the US model or the international one.

https://www.androidcentral.com/moto-z2-force

This article has all of my feelings about this phone. I like it, BUT Moto's current software track record + Google's current bad audio over USB-C (which may start to improve over 8.0) plus the smaller battery and the camera unknowns and the push towards buying mods would not make me buy it at their asking price of Samsung Galaxy S8/iPhone/Pixel money.

If the camera is solid enough, and the battery not as bad...it'll be a very, very good buy on the cheap in 6 months time.

Nice try, though. Moto and the headphone jack reminds me of Xiaomi and microSD support...not on the flagships but definitely on the value for money models.
    libra89 likes this.
    07-25-2017 09:43 PM
    Because I'm the queen of indecisiveness, I think I'm going to return the S7 Edge. Until 99's comment, I didn't think to check the height of the s8 against the s7 edge. The s8 is shorter (I already knew that it was narrower though). Will debate returning against not returning for sure.
    The queen of indecisiveness caused me to chuckle, I must confess. Hey, they're your words, not mine...
    libra89 likes this.
    07-25-2017 09:44 PM
    US: 64GB + 4GB RAM
    China: 128GB + 6GB RAM
    Everyone else: 64GB + 6GB RAM

Should have just dropped the US model or the international one.

https://www.androidcentral.com/moto-z2-force

This article has all of my feelings about this phone. I like it, BUT Moto's current software track record + Google's current bad audio over USB-C (which may start to improve over 8.0) plus the smaller battery and the camera unknowns and the push towards buying mods would not make me buy it at their asking price of Samsung Galaxy S8/iPhone/Pixel money.

If the camera is solid enough, and the battery not as bad...it'll be a very, very good buy on the cheap in 6 months time.

Nice try, though. Moto and the headphone jack reminds me of Xiaomi and microSD support...not on the flagships but definitely on the value for money models.
    The fact that S8 can be had consistently for about $450 or so tells me it's gonna be a tough slog for Moto in the USA.
    libra89 and MSFTisMIA like this.
    07-25-2017 09:49 PM
    The fact that S8 can be had consistently for about $450 or so tells me it's gonna be a tough slog for Moto in the USA.
    Agreed. Lots of good flagship phones are getting killed this year...I could be wrong but it seems like only the S8+ did well for H1 so far.

P10 and Mi 6 are harder to find. Key One harder still.
    G6 and OnePlus 5 got killed. And the Z² Force may be right behind them.
    U11 and XZ Premium may break even.

Pixel has held up nicely, along with the criminally underrated Mate 9.

H2 looks to be just as rough...

Don't have much hopes for the OnePlus and Sony refreshes. V30 and Mate 10 may be criminally underrated again. Essential phone...who knows. It may be a sea of more of the same between the Note 8, Pixel and iFruit Money grab edition in the fall...
    libra89 likes this.
    07-25-2017 10:24 PM
    My take is that these products are just too overpriced for what is being offered right now. As much as I may want to make a change and add something into the mix later in the year...unless something comes along so astounding (or I'm not able to update the firmware) a Mi Note 2 + V20 combo isn't that bad.
    N_LaRUE and libra89 like this.
    07-25-2017 10:54 PM
    Did I just hear something about a Mi6 being hard to find?
    That too in Blue?
    07-26-2017 12:41 AM
    I thought Mi6 is UK's secret service...
    😂

Sent from mTalk
    07-26-2017 01:21 AM
    Agreed. Lots of good flagship phones are getting killed this year...I could be wrong but it seems like only the S8+ did well for H1 so far.

P10 and Mi 6 are harder to find. Key One harder still.
    G6 and OnePlus 5 got killed. And the Z² Force may be right behind them.
    U11 and XZ Premium may break even.

Pixel has held up nicely, along with the criminally underrated Mate 9.

H2 looks to be just as rough...

Don't have much hopes for the OnePlus and Sony refreshes. V30 and Mate 10 may be criminally underrated again. Essential phone...who knows. It may be a sea of more of the same between the Note 8, Pixel and iFruit Money grab edition in the fall...
    From your list the only phones I haven't tried are
    Key One - BB doesn't interest me
    OP5 - not convinced about the camera
    Z2 - too new and too many negatives vs the good stuff
    XZ Premium - sorry not a Sony fan

I like where Huawei is going but not a big fan of EMUI. Pixel, S8 and G6 are my favorites this past 6+ months.
    libra89 likes this.
    07-26-2017 01:46 AM
    From your list the only phones I haven't tried are
    Key One - BB doesn't interest me
    OP5 - not convinced about the camera
    Z2 - too new and too many negatives vs the good stuff
    XZ Premium - sorry not a Sony fan
    U11 - definitely wanting to try it out though

I like where Huawei is going but not a big fan of EMUI. Pixel, S8 and G6 are my favorites this past 6+ months.
    libra89 likes this.
    07-26-2017 01:47 AM
    I just think that OEMs are still chasing the ghost of Apple's super profits during the iphone 3GS- 5S days. Perhaps it is how I'm reading the market, perhaps it's my own pickiness from having tried a fair amount of devices...but the seeming uniformity on consumer demands (big screen, powerful processors) have trapped OEMs in such a way that they have to make subtle changes to "stand out" in the marketplace.

The flip side is that some of the "compromises" being made in the offerings don't make much sense, honestly. While I see the need to build on success and stand out, certain basic things shouldn't be compromised at the prices OEMs are asking people to pay.
    libra89 likes this.
    07-26-2017 09:07 AM
144,074 ... 54485449545054515452 ...