I just think that OEMs are still chasing the ghost of Apple's super profits during the iphone 3GS- 5S days. Perhaps it is how I'm reading the market, perhaps it's my own pickiness from having tried a fair amount of devices...but the seeming uniformity on consumer demands (big screen, powerful processors) have trapped OEMs in such a way that they have to make subtle changes to "stand out" in the marketplace.

The flip side is that some of the "compromises" being made in the offerings don't make much sense, honestly. While I see the need to build on success and stand out, certain basic things shouldn't be compromised at the prices OEMs are asking people to pay.
    Well said.
    MSFTisMIA likes this.
    07-26-2017 09:45 AM
    OMG so I just heard back from the program and what I saw yesterday has been confirmed! I am so into this Master's application!!! This has made my day. I told my coworker who also wants to do it too (we also went to the conference together yesterday) and she was so excited!

Whoa, I could really be a student again. I'm excited. Just need to channel that energy into my application!
    07-26-2017 09:50 AM
    OMG so I just heard back from the program and what I saw yesterday has been confirmed! I am so into this Master's application!!! This has made my day. I told my coworker who also wants to do it too (we also went to the conference together yesterday) and she was so excited!

Whoa, I could really be a student again. I'm excited. Just need to channel that energy into my application!
    All the best. Having just finished my masters...it is gruelling but worth it.
    libra89, N_LaRUE and Laura Knotek like this.
    07-26-2017 09:53 AM
    All the best. Having just finished my masters...it is gruelling but worth it.
    Thank you! I believe that, and I'll need it. I got my degree over 2 years ago and my struggle with trying to study for the GRE has been hard. I hate tests like that, and I even applied to a program at another school (and got in at that) because I didn't need that test. I obviously chose not to go but I was happy and excited that I got in.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-26-2017 09:59 AM
    Thank you! I believe that, and I'll need it. I got my degree over 2 years ago and my struggle with trying to study for the GRE has been hard. I hate tests like that, and I even applied to a program at another school (and got in at that) because I didn't need that test. I obviously chose not to go but I was happy and excited that I got in.
    I hated the SATs and GREs. Fortunately, I didn't need to take them to do my program. I still need to do a standardized test for my licensure, so you can it always avoid them. Do your best and just make the rest of your application as strong as possible.
    libra89 and Laura Knotek like this.
    07-26-2017 10:02 AM

Good for you, Libra. There is nothing wrong for reaching for higher education. It is not easy but really challenges you to think differently and make use of all of your talents. I'm sure there are people at the school that can help you with the application process if needed.
    Good luck!
    07-26-2017 10:08 AM
    I hated the SATs and GREs. Fortunately, I didn't need to take them to do my program. I still need to do a standardized test for my licensure, so you can it always avoid them. Do your best and just make the rest of your application as strong as possible.
    Lucky you on dodging that. I can get you having to take that test though, and I wish you lots of luck and the best with that important test for your license.

Thanks, that is what I plan to do. The head of the library (and boss of everyone here but not my direct boss) is an alumni of the program so it would be awesome if she can write one of my reference letters. She's a really busy person though, so I don't know if she would really remember. I have my others lined up too, including my boss who said that she would gladly write one for me.
    MSFTisMIA and Laura Knotek like this.
    07-26-2017 10:12 AM
    Good for you, Libra. There is nothing wrong for reaching for higher education. It is not easy but really challenges you to think differently and make use of all of your talents. I'm sure there are people at the school that can help you with the application process if needed.
    Good luck!
    Thank you! With it, I would have more options (and better pay). It's difficult to move around in this field without a MLIS (Masters of Library and Information Science). It's not impossible but a bit easier to have more job possibilities and considerations with it. A lot of jobs prefer that.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-26-2017 10:17 AM
    Thank you! With it, I would have more options (and better pay). It's difficult to move around in this field without a MLIS (Masters of Library and Information Science). It's not impossible but a bit easier to have more job possibilities and considerations with it. A lot of jobs prefer that.
    Absolutely. Education and experience pave paths to opportunity. I love learning and it has helped me be where I am and enjoy what I'm doing. That's what is most important to me.
    07-26-2017 10:20 AM
    Absolutely. Education and experience pave paths to opportunity. I love learning and it has helped me be where I am and enjoy what I'm doing. That's what is most important to me.
    Agreed 100%. That's the only reason why I went back for a Master's. In many field at the mid to upper elechons these days, a graduate degree is necessary to get your foot in the door.
    TgeekB, N_LaRUE, libra89 and 1 others like this.
    07-26-2017 10:26 AM

Congrats!

Sometimes wish I could go back to school. Just don't have the time or the income to do it.
    07-26-2017 10:27 AM
    Congrats!

Sometimes wish I could go back to school. Just don't have the time or the income to do it.
    I may have to go back again...give me six years. My mother would curse at how long I chose to do this as she would have preferred for me to have done so before I was 30. But very few people are ready for that accelerated track and there were certain obstacles in other life areas that needed to be addressed better before I did that.

Nothing happens before its time, I suppose...
    libra89, N_LaRUE and Laura Knotek like this.
    07-26-2017 10:30 AM
    Agreed 100%. That's the only reason why I went back for a Master's. In many field at the mid to upper elechons these days, a graduate degree is necessary to get your foot in the door.
    I would not want to be a director ever (too much stress and I'm good on not doing the PhD) but I totally agree with what I have noticed with some jobs that sound nice to me.
    MSFTisMIA and Laura Knotek like this.
    07-26-2017 10:36 AM
    I may have to go back again...give me six years. My mother would curse at how long I chose to do this as she would have preferred for me to have done so before I was 30. But very few people are ready for that accelerated track and there were certain obstacles in other life areas that needed to be addressed better before I did that.

Some choose their path. Some let the path choose them. I fell partially in the second category.

I never knew what I wanted to do with myself. I've always had various interests and never one thing seemed to interest me to any extent. Never got pushed to do more unfortunately. I sort of fell into certain traps early and got 'stuck'. I was definitely happier as a contractor than I am now as a staff person but there's no real progression in that, nothing more than making money and having a job. Satisfaction is secondary.

Today, if I were to choose I'd probably consider the sciences or something more creative. I can always become creative again and science can always been of interest but it's not the same as 'being' part of it.
    Laura Knotek and libra89 like this.
    07-26-2017 10:39 AM
    Congrats!

Thank you. I feel like this has changed my life. I hope that I get in so much. I have been feeling bad about myself having the struggle to study. Knowing that I can just live and apply (and work on my materials) is awesome.

Aw, that's a bummer.
    N_LaRUE and Laura Knotek like this.
    07-26-2017 10:46 AM
    Thank you. I feel like this has changed my life. I hope that I get in so much. I have been feeling bad about myself having the struggle to study. Knowing that I can just live and apply (and work on my materials) is awesome.

Aw, that's a bummer.
    I'm a believer in education and that it's important. I'm more a believer in learning how to think rationally as well.

However, not all success or happiness relies on learning in a school. Books, reading and listening to intellectual things is a way of learning. I do these things, so I continue to learn, just not in a school.
    07-26-2017 10:49 AM

Whoa, you're ambitious. When you say go back, would it be for a PhD or another Masters? I totally agree about the accelerated track. It's not easy. My sister took a year off but it worked out for her doing that. She got a break and she was introduced to an awesome opportunity to get a scholarship that even paid for her books for the program as well.

I think a break is necessary, I know that I needed one. Even though I applied for the program with the school I got into, that was one of the reasons why I chose not to go. Undergrad was a hard time for me and after going through all of that, I needed a break from school and papers.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-26-2017 10:58 AM
    I'm a believer in education and that it's important. I'm more a believer in learning how to think rationally as well.

However, not all success or happiness relies on learning in a school. Books, reading and listening to intellectual things is a way of learning. I do these things, so I continue to learn, just not in a school.
    Ah okay, I see. That's awesome that you do that.
    N_LaRUE likes this.
    07-26-2017 10:59 AM
    Whoa, you're ambitious. When you say go back, would it be for a PhD or another Masters? I totally agree about the accelerated track. It's not easy. My sister took a year off but it worked out for her doing that. She got a break and she was introduced to an awesome opportunity to get a scholarship that even paid for her books for the program as well.

I think a break is necessary, I know that I needed one. Even though I applied for the program with the school I got into, that was one of the reasons why I chose not to go. Undergrad was a hard time for me and after going through all of that, I needed a break from school and papers.
    Phd. Dont want one, but like my master's, will need one eventually.
    libra89, Laura Knotek and N_LaRUE like this.
    07-26-2017 12:50 PM
    Ahh GRE, been there, taken that!
    Took a few other ones as well.
    Good luck with your MLIS program!
    07-26-2017 01:20 PM
    Ahh GRE, been there, taken that!
    Took a few other ones as well.
    Good luck with your MLIS program!
    Thanks! Going to do my best to increase my chances on getting in.

Ahh I can only imagine the number of tests you have had to take.
    Laura Knotek and MSFTisMIA like this.
    07-26-2017 01:25 PM
    Probably one of the better videos I have seen on You Tube in a while!
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-26-2017 01:57 PM
    I learnt it in school when I was younger but that was a long time ago and the French in Canada is different than the French in France so though it might have helped it may only have confused things.

We're going to take classes when we get there.
    That should be fun. 😊
    libra89 and N_LaRUE like this.
    07-26-2017 04:12 PM
    Yep! It can change my process of how I'm applying to this MLIS program.
    Good luck!
    libra89 likes this.
    07-26-2017 04:13 PM
    Good luck!
    Thank you!
    07-26-2017 04:16 PM
143,669 ... 54495450545154525453 ...