WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
re: WC 100K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

I haven't seen bacteria divide... But I'll ask my lab teacher to show me

It's not about dividing, it's about the long term effects.

Bacteria extracted from nature will adapt to lab conditions. They are usually provided with more food, they don't have any enemies, they don't have hosts to infect. So they evolve. The ones that divide the fastest are the ones that will survive, the other will just be left behind. That means every mutation that leads to a better adaption will manifest.

Bacteria will lose unnecessary genes, they will change the expression levels, they will lose plasmids, and all of that is reflected on a genetic level.

Also, they will most certainly die if you put them back after a few months in the lab.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

It's not about dividing, it's about the long term effects.

Bacteria extracted from nature will adapt to lab conditions. They are usually provided with more food, they don't have any enemies, they don't have hosts to infect. So they evolve. The ones that divide the fastest are the ones that will survive, the other will just be left behind. That means every mutation that leads to a better adaption will manifest.

Bacteria will lose unnecessary genes, they will change the expression levels, they will lose plasmids, and all of that is reflected on a genetic level.

Also, they will most certainly die if you put them back after a few months in the lab.

Are you keeping a 'snap shot' of the generations like another experiment I recall? They were using e-coli I believe. They started new colonies and one eventually evolved to eat a food that was usually poisonous to them. Interesting stuff.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

Are you keeping a 'snap shot' of the generations like another experiment I recall? They were using e-coli I believe. They started new colonies and one eventually evolved to eat a food that was usually poisonous to them. Interesting stuff.

We have people in our building that work on stuff like this, I don't do it. We have a stock of bacteria frozen and after a while you just take new ones. Also, they are already lab strains, so they don't evolve much anymore. You can't get better than good at using the provided resources, at least in the time frame we give them :)

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

We have people in our building that work on stuff like this, I don't do it. We have a stock of bacteria frozen and after a while you just take new ones. Also, they are already lab strains, so they don't evolve much anymore. You can't get better than good at using the provided resources, at least in the time frame we give them :)

Sounds like an interesting experiment you got going. :)

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

It's nice to read about something to get to know both sides

I like the creationists opinions. They are great to make fun of!

At least in Switzerland where they teach facts and science at school and keep religion out of it.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

The best way to think of evolution is this. We are related to all living things on this planet. Everything has DNA aside for a couple of anomalies. Even if we didn't have all the other evidence for evolution it would still be a fact.

You share 50% of your DNA with a banana and 98% with chimpanzees.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon