WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
re: WC 100K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Does anyone know of a keyboard shortcut that enables strikethrough?

It's quite frustrating when you have to type the and its corresponding endtag manually.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

Three-tile row for the win!

You may not appreciate it, but I do...because it allows me to emulate the WP7 Start Screen. (Well, it has five or so tiles per column instead of just four.)

It's very useful, but makes the homescreen even busier. I like it, but beautiful is most certainly not the term I'd use to describe it ;-)

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
That means nothing. MS is not a Finnish company, it's an American company. Nokia is Finnish. Named after the town.
@ Wandering Traveller and N_LaRUE Why does it matter whether the company is Finnish or American? It's the device that matters... The quality is still the same(Awesome) regardless of the company's origin/current location :)

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

@ Wandering Traveller and N_LaRUE Why does it matter whether the company is Finnish or American? It's the device that matters... The quality is still the same(Awesome) regardless of the company's origin/current location :)

The round circle on Sahib's cartoon had the Finnish flag all over it. That's why I mentioned it. We all know that Microsoft is an US company, the guy making the cartoon obviously not.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site

The round circle on Sahib's cartoon had the Finnish flag all over it. That's why I mentioned it. We all know that Microsoft is an US company, the guy making the cartoon obviously not.
We have to mention the distinction between Microhard and Microsoft, though.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Also, I found the quality of Nokia phones were a lot better prior to WP8. I've been quite disappointed with the L920 and pretty much anything else that's come out except maybe the L925.

People go on about the Nokia phones I have to say they're nothing like they used to be.

As for who makes the phone I never had an issue with MS buying Nokia other than the fact that Nokia was a good company at one point that lost their way. Nokia phones are made in China not Finland anyway. the R&D was in Finland.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I'm not really expecting much out of hardware these days. From a hardware perspective I just want a good battery, nice screen and something that looks nice. Of course I want good specs in general.

What matters most is software now. Ignoring the eye candy nonsense that people seem to treasure all I really want is a solid OS which works. I have no idea about iOS but so far WP hasn't been perfect and Android though OK but is not perfect either. I've had some minor things with both but nothing overly serious. From a usability aspect I think Android offers more for me as it has the apps I want. From a ease of use aspect I think WP is better in some regards. However on the whole WP has failed more on me than Android.

I wouldn't call either interface 'beautiful' as some people seem to do. To me an interface is about getting what I want done with minimum headache. I don't care about eye candy. I want utility. That's more important to me above all else. I know people call iOS boring but you could say the same about Xp and Win 7 yet people screamed like bloody murder when MS brought in W8. So I don't quite see the whole boring interface vs utility thing. Maybe it's just me.

That's because MSFT was full of themselves and tried to force fed the PC market Windows 8. It is a good OS, but people are creatures of habit. I've used iOS briefly since I left them 3 years ago, and to me, not much has changed. I think my foray with WP has equipped me better to use Android and be less Google dependent. At the end of the day it is a matter of making tradeoffs and picking what people think is best for them.

Posted via Princely Purple Z Ultra

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I feel exactly the same. There's nothing that really blows me away. A year ago it would have been the HTC One M7 I think, except of the camera. And even back then it was only because I like metal phones and HTC.

As we already know what the iPhone 6 will look like and bring to the table with iOS8, I don't think that will change much. But I've already bought an international navigation software for my iPad, so that would be an argument. But not really, as a highend Android phone would still be much cheaper than an iPhone and I could easily afford another navigation software for Android ;-)

That's the thing where of raw power at a cheaper price is what you seek, a G3 maybe a better choice than any iPhone. But Apple always gets you for the premium experience with the inflated prices. I took a hit and got one of dear friend an iPad Air for her 30th birthday. I did that because not only are we close friends and she was worth taking the hit for, but I wanted her to have that brand new Apple experience. She had tried a Lumia 900 when she went to AT&T and thought it was OK, but switched to an iPhone 4 which she still has (she was a BB girl for years and years).

Ultimately what do people want? A good marriage of hardware and software. The current climate doesn't suit folks like me who like multiple OSes because they want you locked into one thing for repeat business. Especially Apple. Look at HTC for example, when the M8 came out, there was an article I read where most of the early adopters where existing HTC customers. Everyone wants to add new customers but with the high end market so fierce, people are less likely to switch platforms if they buy paid apps that aren't 1 fee cross platform.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I'm assuming it's the lack of the Cyan update that's doing it. I am on WP8.1 at the moment. My phone heats up fairly easily doing the most basic of tasks. Heat and batteries do not go well together.

I did a reinstall of the WP8 firmware, upgraded to WP8.1 and did a hard reset. Though it's a bit better than it used to be it's still sub par. I've not been impressed with the L920 batter life since I had the phone. It's been worse than mediocre. Now it's just simply dreadful. I simply hate taking it anywhere when I know I can't easily recharge it. Thankfully restaurant we had dinner at had outlets available so I was able to recharge before heading home. Our trains are still ancient and lack any of the modern comforts like a USB charging port or outlet.

That's bad. I think you may have gotten a funny unit with a battery that's gone progressively worse over the course of your owbership. I won't lie, I used to charge mine nightly too. Since all my phones have sealed in batteries I invested in the attached battery pack to cover my bases.

Attachments

• 65727.jpg
    65727.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 5

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Ultimately what do people want? A good marriage of hardware and software. The current climate doesn't suit folks like me who like multiple OSes because they want you locked into one thing for repeat business. Especially Apple. Look at HTC for example, when the M8 came out, there was an article I read where most of the early adopters where existing HTC customers. Everyone wants to add new customers but with the high end market so fierce, people are less likely to switch platforms if they buy paid apps that aren't 1 fee cross platform.

There's not much out there that offers both good hardware and software. Apple may be close but there are things that irritate me too much about Apple. Other high end offerings always seem to lack something hardware wise. Especially on WP. On WP you lack the app experience that the others have.

Cross platform apps would be a welcome change to the scene. Don't see it happening soon. :/

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Also, I found the quality of Nokia phones were a lot better prior to WP8. I've been quite disappointed with the L920 and pretty much anything else that's come out except maybe the L925.

People go on about the Nokia phones I have to say they're nothing like they used to be.

As for who makes the phone I never had an issue with MS buying Nokia other than the fact that Nokia was a good company at one point that lost their way. Nokia phones are made in China not Finland anyway. the R&D was in Finland.

Agreed. Once they went to making the bulk of their units via foxconn in China, they became like everyone else - hit or miss in the build quality. At least HTC still controls most of their mid range and high end models in Taiwan, but they can be hit or miss at times too.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

That's bad. I think you may have gotten a funny unit with a battery that's gone progressively worse over the course of your owbership. I won't lie, I used to charge mine nightly too. Since all my phones have sealed in batteries I invested in the attached battery pack to cover my bases.

I have one but I didn't think to charge it before we left and I thought I would have an opportunity to charge while out. Which I did, twice...

Everything I do on the L920 these days heats the unit up. If it keeps it up I may get rid of it sooner. I'm waiting for Cyan to see if things change. If not, it goes.

When I went to Cardiff I used my GPS and the phone got so hot the battery practically died even though it was plugged in and the GPS went funny.

So yeah, I'm not a happy camper at the moment. I have thought of going back to WP8 but I do like some of the aspects of WP8.1.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

There's not much out there that offers both good hardware and software. Apple may be close but there are things that irritate me too much about Apple. Other high end offerings always seem to lack something hardware wise. Especially on WP. On WP you lack the app experience that the others have.

Cross platform apps would be a welcome change to the scene. Don't see it happening soon. :/

Agreed. There's a lot in Apple that irritates me to say that I do t think I'd use their stuff as a primary but I would have one lying around for the still good enough quick resale value.

At this point I need a good camera, good battery life, a smallish enough form factor and a UI that is friendly to me with enough apps for my usage. Design wise I still like WP above all, but they've got an odd combo of hardware out now that's frankly unappealing. Meanwhile I can get a Nexus 5 and with my knowledge, root it, throw on a Stock tweaked ROM and do some things to limit Google and increase battery life.

Tell me why on the Android WPcentral app it was easy as pie to add a picture and yet on WPCentral I've got to use Taptalk? It's like MSFT has all the good APIs hiding under their hat and not sharing them with devs and OEMs to restrict hardware. I'd love the charge light indicator in my 8X to flash BB style when I have a notification. I'd love the windows key to do the same. I'd love to set Proshot as my default camera app launched by the hardware button. All these will get lost as the newer WPs start to look like Nexus models with blank black screens and on screen buttons.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes