WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Nerdy Woman

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
re: WC 100K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Maybe, but if you've got 10 WP users at that time, who will notice/care?

You nailed it, MSFTisMIA. When a company looks at R&D costs, they estimate how many units they can sell to offset the costs. With current market share, they'd have to estimate far lower numbers, either setting the price of each phone beyond most buyers' budget, or scaling back on features and quality. Either would result in huge disappointment among WP loyals and tremendous criticism from industry journalists.

If they manage to pull off the universal OS demonstrated at //build, and make inroads in the budget phone market, I believe we'll see a dramatic increase in WP market share. That would be the time to put the McLaren project back on the schedule. With higher estimates in sales projections, they can build the beast we all want and bring it to us at a price we can afford.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

You nailed it, MSFTisMIA. When a company looks at R&D costs, they estimate how many units they can sell to offset the costs. With current market share, they'd have to estimate far lower numbers, either setting the price of each phone beyond most buyers' budget, or scaling back on features and quality. Either would result in huge disappointment among WP loyals and tremendous criticism from industry journalists.

If they manage to pull off the universal OS demonstrated at //build, and make inroads in the budget phone market, I believe we'll see a dramatic increase in WP market share. That would be the time to put the McLaren project back on the schedule. With higher estimates in sales projections, they can build the beast we all want and bring it to us at a price we can afford.

Maybe loyalist would stick around for that but unless they plan to do that in the next few months I don't think many will stick around waiting for them. How long should we wait for a half decent handset and features? Especially when other ecosystems already offer them?

Last edited:

Sport Driver

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site

If someone is interested in what is comming to WP in late 2016 here you have the LINK to read it :)

Sent from my B85M-HD3 using Tapatalk

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

WPC believes there's still phones coming, just not 3D. I wonder if any will get close to being something I'll want.

We'll see. The 930's price seriously needs to come down, and fast. If it was in that $480-$500 range, I may bit the bullet and get it. But still being $600+, it is no value for me.

Posted via Princely Purple Z Ultra

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Maybe loyalist would such around for that but unless they plan to do that in the next few months I don't think many will stick around waiting for them. How long should we wait for a half decent handset and features? Especially when other ecosystems already offer them?

That's the bind the MSFT board faces. Let's be honest here. It was never about the hardware in the first place, it was about WP as an OS. The 1520 was one of the first phones to use the S800 processor. I still cannot understand why it took MSFT GDR3 to support bigger screens and faster processors. There was no real reason to launch the 1020 when they did without it having a better processor. I'm sorry. No excuses there, especially when you launch the 1520 within 3 months later. I had no problem with them still making the 1020 a niche model, but put the S600 in there at least to help it age better. I'd have love to have seen the 1020 as a quad core S600 as successor to the 920 and MSFT launch it later with the improved chip set.

Hell, I may have taken the gamble of launching the 1520 and 1020 at the same time...one with the slightly older chispet (S600) and price it at $150 on 2 year contract and the 1520 for $250 on 2 year contract. So if you want a bigger screen, fastest processor and more memory, get a 1520. If you wanted a superior camera with a slightly slower chip set (make 2 cores run the camera and 2 cores run the OS), you buy the 1020. Again, it just seemed like there was such a disconnect between MSFT and the OEMs, and now that MSFT is an OEM, who the hell knows how long it will take to reorganize and be more efficient.

To me it is little things like this that tell me that MSFT doesn't listen to their consumers. I still like the 930 and may end up getting one, but that might be my last WP.

Posted via Princely Purple Z Ultra

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

The one good thing I've seen so far is that the price for the 930 through the site I use has been dropping. They went from $699 to $599 to now $585 since the start of the month. If it keeps coming down, it may look even more attractive to me. Meanwhile, I can still get a 1520 at the same website for $485 including shipping. That price difference is the real head scratcher there...

sd173

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site

I have Time-Warner Internet service, and I use my WiFi at home all the time.

View attachment 72441

Unless I'm close to the router, Time Warner Cable is horrible at my house. It also disconnects automatically sometimes - I know that's a known issue with Windows phone 8.1, but it never happened at my high school or my college during orientation, and they probably use a different ISP.

Nerdy Woman

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site

What the hell... Are you saying I dislike Windows 8 because I can't use it?

A round of ignorance from so many forum users, amazing.

I don't like beer, I still know how to drink it.

If your question was directed at my comment about we like what we know... That statement was not borne of ignorance. As a former business applications instructor and systems administrator, I've witnessed the frustration users feel when they encounter something that is unfamiliar to them. There are some of us who love to get our hands on new software, but most of the world prefers what they learned 5, 10, 15 years ago.

The Windows OS hadn't undergone such a drastic change since Microsoft transitioned us from 3.1 to 95. If 3.1 had been more stable and if there were computers in every home and backpack back then, there would have been an uproar over the changes made. It's no different with Windows 7 to Windows 8, except that Windows 7 is a good OS, very stable and very familiar. We prefer what is familiar to us (aka we like what we know). It's easier. It's more productive. The only compelling reason to use 8 is transitioning to a touch interface.

But the fact is, it takes 3 weeks to make or break a habit (in other words, to change muscle memory response patterns). I have not heard of anyone who learns Windows 8 navigation, and uses Windows 8 exclusively for 3 weeks, wanting to go back to Windows 7. I'm willing to be wrong, but I've challenged many users to do just that and every last one of them has come over to the tile side.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

Unless I'm close to the router, Time Warner Cable is horrible at my house. It also disconnects automatically sometimes - I know that's a known issue with Windows phone 8.1, but it never happened at my high school or my college during orientation, and they probably use a different ISP.

That's weird because I can connect or stay connected to my network outside in my car. I'll leave my apartment (which is on the ground floor of a brick building ca 1940s with thick walls) and get in my car parked on the street and still be connected. Where I park is not always a straight line from the window in the room where I have my router.

I also notice that I'm already connected to my network when I take my 920 off the car charger when I get home. I'll see the WiFi icon connected and sometimes even check notifications while I'm still sitting in the car parked on the street before going inside my apartment.

kmji1957

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site

If your question was directed at my comment about we like what we know... That statement was not borne of ignorance. As a former business applications instructor and systems administrator, I've witnessed the frustration users feel when they encounter something that is unfamiliar to them. There are some of us who love to get our hands on new software, but most of the world prefers what they learned 5, 10, 15 years ago.

The Windows OS hadn't undergone such a drastic change since Microsoft transitioned us from 3.1 to 95. If 3.1 had been more stable and if there were computers in every home and backpack back then, there would have been an uproar over the changes made. It's no different with Windows 7 to Windows 8, except that Windows 7 is a good OS, very stable and very familiar. We prefer what is familiar to us (aka we like what we know). It's easier. It's more productive. The only compelling reason to use 8 is transitioning to a touch interface.

But the fact is, it takes 3 weeks to make or break a habit (in other words, to change muscle memory response patterns). I have not heard of anyone who learns Windows 8 navigation, and uses Windows 8 exclusively for 3 weeks, wanting to go back to Windows 7. I'm willing to be wrong, but I've challenged many users to do just that and every last one of them has come over to the tile side.

No. Chregu's comment wasn't against you!

sd173

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site

That's weird because I can connect or stay connected to my network outside in my car. I'll leave my apartment (which is on the ground floor of a brick building ca 1940s with thick walls) and get in my car parked on the street and still be connected. Where I park is not always a straight line from the window in the room where I have my router.

I also notice that I'm already connected to my network when I take my 920 off the car charger when I get home. I'll see the WiFi icon connected and sometimes even check notifications while I'm still sitting in the car parked on the street before going inside my apartment.

Maybe you're one of the lucky few with good service from them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon