WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

The best part is what they're doing for people with disabilities.

Pizza delivery bots didn't impress me.

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

Sounds like it was a good class. Unfortunately your US history class should be what they teach in high school.

There's too many people who have no clue.

Unfortunately there's a lot of people in power who would block such a move. Just like the opposition to evolution in schools.

My feelings about history are always divided. I've always loved learning about past events, or interesting 'facts' that have happened. But again, I can't not to doubt most if it, since many of the things they teach in school are plain assumptions and have either very few or no evidences at all.

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

Same here I just got done with homework. I got done typing a response to the primary source of the events before the dropping of the atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. What I did learn was that it was unessesary to drop them seeing as they were already ready to surrender

Well, we were told that Hirohito didn't want to surrender, even after the first bomb his generals were trying to convince him not to sign capitulation. As I said, that's what I was teached.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Well, we were told that Hirohito didn't want to surrender, even after the first bomb his generals were trying to convince him not to sign capitulation. As I said, that's what I was teached.
Hirohito was caught between a rock and a hard place.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Evening all. I've just watched the MS Keynote at Build and I'm surprised that there's no mention of Windows Phone at all. Disappointed, too.
When it comes down to it, W10 = W10M so apps either way make it to the phone.

They're hoping it works that way anyway.

Them not mentioning anything will just add fuel to the fire that phone is dead however.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

My feelings about history are always divided. I've always loved learning about past events, or interesting 'facts' that have happened. But again, I can't not to doubt most if it, since many of the things they teach in school are plain assumptions and have either very few or no evidences at all.
History is tricky but it's also a science in a real way. Thing is politics often get in the way of it.

We can't know the distant past as well as we'd like but we can go by what we find out with research but of course we can't know 100%. Some times you have to settle with what you got. That's just reality.

The problem with the way history is taught is not through a science lens like it should and when dealing with events not having opposing views.

There's a streak of black and white with little grey when history is taught in early school. It's not until you take it in advanced classes that you realise that it's more complex than you thought.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

When it comes down to it, W10 = W10M so apps either way make it to the phone.

They're hoping it works that way anyway.

Them not mentioning anything will just add fuel to the fire that phone is dead however.

Phone's been dead since they took all that time between launching the 1520/930 hardware to their successors in the 950 series. I'm not surprised no mention of phones...that's not the focus.

G4 Approved

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Samsung Galaxy S7 Review
After using this phone on and off since March 12, here are my impressions. I have tried to write it like a tech journalist. You can let me know if I have failed miserably - that is why I have a day job in a different profession.

Design and Build
I really like the design and build of this phone. Very well put together, the phone has a nice heft to it which is a refreshing change from the ultra-light phones of late. Samsung did a nice job of reducing the camera hump, making the phone a bit thick and stuffing a 3000 mAh battery in it. The addition of the SD card slot and water resistance are both quite useful, so kudos to Samsung for listening to their customers. The feel in hand is quite superb even with a minimal case from VRS Design. I ordered three different cases from this company as I liked their cases for the S6 and S6 Edge and S6 Edge Plus.

Specs / Hardware / Performance
Snapdragon 820, 4GB RAM, enough said! This thing is fast, fast, fast...SD card slot is nice but removing Android 6.0's adoptable storage feature is a boneheaded move. Battery life is a definite step up over the S6. I had no issues on any day with running out of battery life and am getting somewhere around 4-5 hours of SOT. The main reason for low SOT is that my phone is constantly hunting for a signal at work and this does drain the battery. Also this phone has quick charging with the cable and a Qi wireless charger, both of which are very nice features to have.

Display
While the display is gorgeous, it is a slight step down from the S6 display and that is a consensus opinion and is reflected on sites like Display Mate and Phone Arena. So I guess this is where they might have done some cost cutting.

Camera
The camera takes stellar pictures in every possible setting. The prowess of the camera has been confirmed by multiple sites so I am not going to delve into it further. It is really fast to load, focus and snap pictures in pretty much any lighting condition. On the display the pictures look fantastic. When the pictures are views on a 24" LCD monitor the colors appear a bit on the warmer side just like what the other reviewers have mentioned. Video quality and sound reproduction in the videos is very very good. DXOMark and TheVerge have both rated it as one of the best cameras on a smartphone and I agree. My opinion is also agreed to by AndroidCentral, even if it is by a hair...and yes just like the comparo performed by Derek Kessler, I have tried every single camera in that comparison test - 950XL, 6S, S7, S6 Edge Plus, Note 5, Nexus 6P, Nexus 5X and LG G4. And the S7 is better - enough said.

Sound
The speaker is a bit tinny but adequate. The headphone jack output is a bit low and this is most likely due to the waterproofing feature added to the phone. My Lumia 640 produces a louder output via the headphone jack than this phone.

Software/UX
Touchwiz is getting better but still there are quirks. There is not much besides slapping on Nova or Google Now Launcher that I could do. After that it worked well for me.

Fingerprint Sensor
Fast, very fast and quite accurate. I also used Samsung Pay quite a bit and worked without issues at the places where I regularly use NFC based payments.

Good
Great design and build,
Excellent Screen
SD card slot and water resistance

Bad
Phone will need a case, it is slippery and a fingerprint magnet
No adoptable storage, tch, tch Samsung
Touchwiz is still just okay

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Samsung Galaxy S7 Review
After using this phone on and off since March 12, here are my impressions. I have tried to write it like a tech journalist. You can let me know if I have failed miserably - that is why I have a day job in a different profession.

Design and Build
I really like the design and build of this phone. Very well put together, the phone has a nice heft to it which is a refreshing change from the ultra-light phones of late. Samsung did a nice job of reducing the camera hump, making the phone a bit thick and stuffing a 3000 mAh battery in it. The addition of the SD card slot and water resistance are both quite useful, so kudos to Samsung for listening to their customers. The feel in hand is quite superb even with a minimal case from VRS Design. I ordered three different cases from this company as I liked their cases for the S6 and S6 Edge and S6 Edge Plus.

Specs / Hardware / Performance
Snapdragon 820, 4GB RAM, enough said! This thing is fast, fast, fast...SD card slot is nice but removing Android 6.0's adoptable storage feature is a boneheaded move. Battery life is a definite step up over the S6. I had no issues on any day with running out of battery life and am getting somewhere around 4-5 hours of SOT. The main reason for low SOT is that my phone is constantly hunting for a signal at work and this does drain the battery. Also this phone has quick charging with the cable and a Qi wireless charger, both of which are very nice features to have.

Display
While the display is gorgeous, it is a slight step down from the S6 display and that is a consensus opinion and is reflected on sites like Display Mate and Phone Arena. So I guess this is where they might have done some cost cutting.

Camera
The camera takes stellar pictures in every possible setting. The prowess of the camera has been confirmed by multiple sites so I am not going to delve into it further. It is really fast to load, focus and snap pictures in pretty much any lighting condition. On the display the pictures look fantastic. When the pictures are views on a 24" LCD monitor the colors appear a bit on the warmer side just like what the other reviewers have mentioned. Video quality and sound reproduction in the videos is very very good. DXOMark and TheVerge have both rated it as one of the best cameras on a smartphone and I agree. My opinion is also agreed to by AndroidCentral, even if it is by a hair...and yes just like the comparo performed by Derek Kessler, I have tried every single camera in that comparison test - 950XL, 6S, S7, S6 Edge Plus, Note 5, Nexus 6P, Nexus 5X and LG G4. And the S7 is better - enough said.

Sound
The speaker is a bit tinny but adequate. The headphone jack output is a bit low and this is most likely due to the waterproofing feature added to the phone. My Lumia 640 produces a louder output via the headphone jack than this phone.

Software/UX
Touchwiz is getting better but still there are quirks. There is not much besides slapping on Nova or Google Now Launcher that I could do. After that it worked well for me.

Fingerprint Sensor
Fast, very fast and quite accurate. I also used Samsung Pay quite a bit and worked without issues at the places where I regularly use NFC based payments.

Good
Great design and build,
Excellent Screen
SD card slot and water resistance

Bad
Phone will need a case, it is slippery and a fingerprint magnet
No adoptable storage, tch, tch Samsung
Touchwiz is still just okay

Nice write-up. LG and Samsung removed adoptable storage from the S7 and G5. I agree with that move. While it's a nice feature when used in the hands of people correctly, I can see scenarios where a phone needs to be exchanged and because the SD card was used as adoptable storage, it is encrypted and locked onto one phone and people cannot pull their data off it easily. Then they say it's an OEM fault and cause headaches there with returns.

Would rather have the choice, but I can see why it was removed. Sony, from what I was reading, is going this route too.

Approved by Z3 Tablet Compact!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

It's tough to hear how my coworker who has been out for over a year battling breast cancer is doing. She is fighting the good fight, but things are still up in the air.

Illness never discriminates...

Approved by Z3 Tablet Compact!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

A quick question for everyone. Ever since I upgraded my girlfriend's PC to Windows 10, the internet really doesn't work well. There are times that I have to reset the router to actually get online. I'm using the traditional Ethernet cable. So I am wondering is it a driver issue or is it an issue with the cable. What do you guys think?

G4 Approved

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

So the day starts with a cop investigation causing delays on the subway line by the GF. I'm almost tempted to walk to the next connecting station, but hey, I'm in no rush to get to the funny farm.

Got lots of morning meetings and then preparing for both workshops today and tomorrow morning. Too much headaches for today.

G4 Approved

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

A quick question for everyone. Ever since I upgraded my girlfriend's PC to Windows 10, the internet really doesn't work well. There are times that I have to reset the router to actually get online. I'm using the traditional Ethernet cable. So I am wondering is it a driver issue or is it an issue with the cable. What do you guys think?

G4 Approved

Well, it could be the drivers. I'd check with the motherboard manufacturer's site for updated Win10 drivers (assuming she's using the on-board Ethernet port) There's probably updated Windows 10 chipset, audio, and Ethernet drivers for her specific board.

Also, (unless she's using a store bought router) check and see if she's got the latest router offering from her ISP. I was recently informed of an upgrade through Comcast/Xfinity, where they gave me a new router free of charge that can utilize the new speeds they now offer.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Well, it could be the drivers. I'd check with the motherboard manufacturer's site for updated Win10 drivers (assuming she's using the on-board Ethernet port) There's probably updated Windows 10 chipset, audio, and Ethernet drivers for her specific board.

Also, (unless she's using a store bought router) check and see if she's got the latest router offering from her ISP. I was recently informed of an upgrade through Comcast/Xfinity, where they gave me a new router free of charge that can utilize the new speeds they now offer.

I've had nothing but network issues with W10 since I upgraded the wife's laptop. We just recently bought her a new one which I plan to clean install W10 on and then I'm taking her old one and wiping it clean to install W10 on it.

It's been painful. We also have issues I believe with our router but it has nothing to do with the issues on the laptop.

Saying that, with MIA's situation it can simply be drivers.

William Stovall

Sep 27, 2015
Visit site

That's weird. I was having Bluetooth issues on 8.1 and it seemed to kick back in when I upgraded. I rolled back to 8.1 which was stupid because I had visual studio 2015. Starting over I guess

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Rue, Ed. Her machine is a barebone kit that I actually had put together a couple of months ago. I'll double check the manufacturer's website for more drivers but we'll see.

I am using the onboard ethernet port. She's not using anything from Optimum with her cable subscriber; like me she uses her own router and then old school Moto cable modem combo. Wifi isn't an issue here and I'm almost tempted to add a dongle as she had so many ports she's not using and ditch the Ethernet cord. I'll still take the router to make sure that it has the updated firmware as well. She's said the cable has been an issue in the past so I'll also swap it out with a spare I have.

G4 Approved

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes