WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

I just had to, there's too much content out there at the moment that I find absolutely hillarious.

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

Once again, I can not quote you :D

I mostly agree with things you've said. I'd just add that I think that feeling that something belongs, or should belong to you actually is a natural feeling, rather than just our illusion.

Also, I don't think belonging and being a part of certain group is bad. That's how we survived right? Thr problem is when you limit yourself to one group only, and only pay attention to thay group's needs. Therefor, patriotism isn't bad to me, as long as it's loving and respecting your country, without seeing others as less worthy or inferior in compare to you.

Nationalism? Yup, we're going backwards, interesting things are about to happen, and it will become a nightmare if we all remain just a plain bystanders.

I will admit that I might be wring about many things, I am pretty young.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Wasn't he against the war?
They're too alike that I keep forgeting which one said what.

Bush Senior - Iraq war
Bush Junior - Afgan and Iraq war

Bush Junior pushed for the war in Iraq even though there was no justification.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Once again, I can not quote you :D

I mostly agree with things you've said. I'd just add that I think that feeling that something belongs, or should belong to you actually is a natural feeling, rather than just our illusion.

Also, I don't think belonging and being a part of certain group is bad. That's how we survived right? Thr problem is when you limit yourself to one group only, and only pay attention to thay group's needs. Therefor, patriotism isn't bad to me, as long as it's loving and respecting your country, without seeing others as less worthy or inferior in compare to you.

Nationalism? Yup, we're going backwards, interesting things are about to happen, and it will become a nightmare if we all remain just a plain bystanders.

I will admit that I might be wring about many things, I am pretty young.

Maybe I have a different perspective on patriotism than you do.

Also, I wasn't saying there's anything wrong with groups or being part of something, the issue comes about when that's more important to you than anything else. Which is typically what happens and where the idea of fanaticism comes from.

I also said belonging is natural. It's part of our genetic makeup and is one of the main reasons we survived and probably one of the main reasons why we are such complex organisms.

Group think and mob rule are horrible ways to conduct things, but that seems to be where we're heading.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Worse thing is America could go back to bush era .... Maybe? I'm trying to be positive and even in not sure if that's a positive

No this is going to be worse, much worse. The republicans have the house, senate and president for the first time in 90 years. If the republicans agree with most of what Trump wants, that's pretty much what's going to happen without opposition because there won't be any.

America is screwed.

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

One Bosnian artist explained US elections in a quite interesting way. I'll do my best to translate.
He says that all this time, every one of the previous candidates focused on empathy of those who are not in best financual state, who are not pleased with their job, wage, life in general. On those who are rocking the very bottom of our society. But their problem was the one that they tried to reach out to those who have not the right to vote, or are outside US, in simple words, they were paying too much attention to world, and the problems of the world.
Unlike them, Trump did almost thr same thing, but adressed American fukara (the one who's on a margin), adressed Americans who are not your most educated men. He also calls them (in rough words), rednecks and scum of the nation.

Pretty non PC, and arguibly wron/right opinion, but nontheless interesting.

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

Bush Senior - Iraq war
Bush Junior - Afgan and Iraq war

Bush Junior pushed for the war in Iraq even though there was no justification.

I was speaking of Trump and Clinton. Wasn't she the one that screwed some things up in the Middle East?

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

No this is going to be worse, much worse. The republicans have the house, senate and president for the first time in 90 years. If the republicans agree with most of what Trump wants, that's pretty much what's going to happen without opposition because there won't be any.

America is screwed.
Make America great again.....just not for minorities, women , African Americans , Mexicans, middle eastern or anything in between :/

Sent from mTalk

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

Maybe I have a different perspective on patriotism than you do.

Also, I wasn't saying there's anything wrong with groups or being part of something, the issue comes about when that's more important to you than anything else. Which is typically what happens and where the idea of fanaticism comes from.

I also said belonging is natural. It's part of our genetic makeup and is one of the main reasons we survived and probably one of the main reasons why we are such complex organisms.

Group think and mob rule are horrible ways to conduct things, but that seems to be where we're heading.

Then we're on the same page.
I have to say that all those things you've mentioned, we've had them for years here, and it's become a common thing, which is is just sad.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

We are taught at an early age to organize things into groups. Schools teach comparing and contrasting in just about every subject. Looking for patterns in what we interact with is another learning strategy that is very important in today's educational world. Other animals do similar sorts of categorization. The green leaf tastes good, but the brown one tastes bad. So, putting things into groups based on certain characteristics is a tool that helps some organisms live, reproduce, survive, etc. Nationalism can be considered an extension of that. Now, in my opinion, categorization in the form of nationalism gets harmful when societal groups get caught up in a couple of psychological states:

Positive Distinctiveness - viewing a group that you belong to as being better than other groups. This leads to favoritism towards other members of your group over outsiders. Degrading people who are not members of your distinct group improves self esteem and positive feelings towards whichever distinct group a person belongs. Trump was a master at this. He routinely said things like "My people" "my uneducated masses" etc. Clinton actually helped him out when she called Trump's group "deplorables". She made them even more of a distinct group than Trump was making them.

Downward Comparisons - these happen when a group compares itself to other groups that it believes are of lesser value. This provides a positive feeling to the group because it convinces its members that they actually are better and they have the proof. They might say something like, "Well, at least I'm not from XYZ. It really sucks there, but not here. It's awesome here. Again, Trump was a master at this, too. He always touted his stance as being the savior of his group from all of the lesser groups intent on ruining America.

America is in the midst of exploring its shadow. Nasty, suppressed feelings and thoughts have been bubbling up for quite some time, now. This election has been the collective representation of what's behind a lot of closed doors, and it's rearing its ugly head in the forms positive of distinctiveness and downward comparison....erroneously called nationalism. Just my thoughts. Apologize up front if I offend anyone.

Last edited:

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

America is in the midst of exploring its shadow. Nasty, suppressed feelings and thoughts have been bubbling up for quite some time, now. This election has been the collective representation of what's behind a lot of closed doors, and it'd rearing its ugly head in the form positive distinctiveness and downward comparison.... erroneously called nationalism. Just my thoughts. Apologize up front if I offend anyone.

Thank you for very very succinctly summarizing what I have actually been seeing, hearing and experiencing for the last 20+ years.
There will be a lot of summary discussion about this election, however, this is probably the best thing I have seen so far...

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site

Now we hope for impeachment! Might be interesting to follow the Trump University trial and the sexual assault of a minor charge (if it hasn't been dropped?)

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

We are taught at an early age to organize things into groups. Schools teach comparing and contrasting in just about every subject. Looking for patterns in what we interact with is another learning strategy that is very important in today's educational world. Other animals do similar sorts of categorization. The green leaf tastes good, but the brown one tastes bad. So, putting things into groups based on certain characteristics is a tool that helps some organisms live, reproduce, survive, etc. Nationalism can be considered an extension of that. Now, in my opinion, categorization in the form of nationalism gets harmful when societal groups get caught up in a couple of psychological states:

Positive Distinctiveness - viewing a group that you belong to as being better than other groups. This leads to favoritism towards other members of your group over outsiders. Degrading people who are not members of your distinct group improves self esteem and positive feelings towards whichever distinct group a person belongs. Trump was a master at this. He routinely said things like "My people" "my uneducated masses" etc. Clinton actually helped him out when she called Trump's group "deplorables". She made them even more of a distinct group than Trump was making them.

Downward Comparisons - these happen when a group compares itself to other groups that it believes are of lesser value. This provides a positive feeling to the group because it convinces its members that they actually are better and they have the proof. They might say something like, "Well, at least I'm not from XYZ. It really sucks there, but not here. It's awesome here. Again, Trump was a master at this, too. He always touted his stance as being the savior of his group from all of the lesser groups intent on ruining America.

America is in the midst of exploring its shadow. Nasty, suppressed feelings and thoughts have been bubbling up for quite some time, now. This election has been the collective representation of what's behind a lot of closed doors, and it's rearing its ugly head in the forms positive of distinctiveness and downward comparison....erroneously called nationalism. Just my thoughts. Apologize up front if I offend anyone.
No offence here. I think you hit the nail on the proverbial head.

His schtick is also known as populism politics. We had that here with the referendum. Trump was very aware of the group he was targeting and knew how to speak to them, and though I don't like to give him much credit, he probably knew the numbers in that group would get him to where he wanted to be.

Just like the leave group here in the UK.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I was speaking of Trump and Clinton. Wasn't she the one that screwed some things up in the Middle East?
The whole thing with the middle East is a bit of a mess but the USA has always had issues there.

It's not just Clinton's thing either. The republicans, probably most have some connection to arms companies. The USA is a messy messy country.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

One Bosnian artist explained US elections in a quite interesting way. I'll do my best to translate.
He says that all this time, every one of the previous candidates focused on empathy of those who are not in best financual state, who are not pleased with their job, wage, life in general. On those who are rocking the very bottom of our society. But their problem was the one that they tried to reach out to those who have not the right to vote, or are outside US, in simple words, they were paying too much attention to world, and the problems of the world.
Unlike them, Trump did almost thr same thing, but adressed American fukara (the one who's on a margin), adressed Americans who are not your most educated men. He also calls them (in rough words), rednecks and scum of the nation.

Pretty non PC, and arguibly wron/right opinion, but nontheless interesting.
As I mentioned earlier, what you basically have is disenfranchised people. Blue collar workers, not highly educated, who were once proud of their jobs and industry. They've become the left behinds of a society that has become globalised.

It's what happened here in the UK and it's what's happened in the USA. Industries leave and communities suffer. No one has done anything to change their fate. Politicians have ignored them, hands tied by big corporations.

So they have forced change, for good or ill. Tired of being ignored. Feeling that things can't be any worse than what they have already.

I can probably guess some of the stories of families. Men committing suicide because of depression, family's divorcing, kids feeling they have no future. These are the people who have nothing to lose.

These are the people who voted for Trump.

I can totally understand their reasoning. I'm from that world myself. So I'm not immune to their way of thinking. Difference is though, I educated myself. Which is why I think differently.

We can only hope, and I do mean this, that things won't be as bad as we think it will but I'm not holding my breath...

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes