WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

You ain't kidding. We're so busy with new work that I'll be interviewing this week (I hate interviewing BTW) for at least 1 CAD person and 2 Assistant PMs.
I've done a lot of interviews. I've thankfully haven't done the other direction.

What industry are you in? I'm an electrical designer but I do CAD work as well. I'm setting myself up as a freelancer in France. I work with AutoCAD.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

I've done a lot of interviews. I've thankfully haven't done the other direction.

What industry are you in? I'm an electrical designer but I do CAD work as well. I'm setting myself up as a freelancer in France. I work with AutoCAD.
Mechanical, plumbing and storm water. South Florida is a weird market in that mechanical has been separated into its own division so I don't mess around with it anymore. Revit is slowly replacing CAD just as BlueBeam is slowly phasing Adobe PDF out to pasture. I'm old school, give me a set of vellums and I'll build you a hi-rise to the moon.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Mechanical, plumbing and storm water. South Florida is a weird market in that mechanical has been separated into its own division so I don't mess around with it anymore. Revit is slowly replacing CAD just as BlueBeam is slowly phasing Adobe PDF out to pasture. I'm old school, give me a set of vellums and I'll build you a hi-rise to the moon.

My industry moved towards SmartPlant and Aveva. Revit seems to be targeted to buildings. All BIM stuff.

Never heard of BlueBeam. Looks good though.

Mechanical is usually it's own department in my industry.

Funny how industries are different

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

My industry moved towards SmartPlant and Aveva. Revit seems to be targeted to buildings. All BIM stuff.

Never heard of BlueBeam. Looks good though.

Mechanical is usually it's own department in my industry.

Funny how industries are different
BIM is a four-letter word. What makes it harder is that people who know CAD, Revit or any other design/build program have no working knowledge of the industry and field guys barely know how to open a flip phone. Not to toot my horn but I'm a rarity in that I have a working knowledge of the software and over 30 years of field experience. It's also why I'm overworked, like to drink and have heart disease.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

BIM is a four-letter word. What makes it harder is that people who know CAD, Revit or any other design/build program have no working knowledge of the industry and field guys barely know how to open a flip phone. Not to toot my horn but I'm a rarity in that I have a working knowledge of the software and over 30 years of field experience. It's also why I'm overworked, like to drink and have heart disease.
My industry used to be about experience. However with offshoring were now going that way as well. People with CAD and computers skills and not much else.

I've heard in the US it's been like that for some time though.

I know a few people who worked in the US and we're startled when they found out the people there had little to no qualifications.

Sad state of affairs really. I'm of the belief that my industry will eventually be 100% offshore. All jobs will be there and you'll only have the choice of working there or not working. That my thoughts anyway. It's only a matter of time.

UK, USA and Australia are simply too expensive. I suspect engineer jobs will be few and far between. At least in the fields I worked in.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Work has become a partial puddle today.

It comes with working at a hospital but it still hits hard...

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

The one good thing from today was feedback from a client.

So I referred a client for a service in another department that ultimately she was determined to be ineligible for. When I followed up with the client, she started raving how the colleague in the other department talked about how gentlemanly I was in doing the referral.

So here am I enjoying my collar popped a little bit and the actual colleague sends me the generic "nameless email stating the client was ineligible".

#bubblebursting #deadlunchdatefantasy

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Can't trust Huawei to update devices anymore. My MediaPad M3 is still stuck on May 2017 security patch.
That's the thing with them. Hardware is gorgeous but support support is questionable. This is why I prefer Xiaomi. Even though they aren't that fast with updates, at least in beta you get weekly updates that work on tweaking the software.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes