WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Wow you have busy weeks coming up! Sounds fun, aside from the cold. Kind of want to visit Chicago someday too.

Whoa 10k miles is far! If I can ask (you don't have to answer), why so far away? Work, choice, something new?

I have been wondering if I should really be where I currently am or if I am just here because of family. I'm not opposed to this area but I don't think I could go out as far as you have.

My Chicago trips aren't as glamorous as from the glory days of past. I usually land at O'Hare airport and stay at a hotel close by because a supplier is right across from Runway 7 at the airport. Minneapolis is actually a day trip, land Wednesday night, work all day Thursday and spend Friday trying to get back to LA.

A professor of mine who I looked up to and admired a lot during my undergraduate degree recommended that I move to the USA. I kind of ignored his advice and started working in India after my Bachelor's degree but about 6-7 months into my first job I understood why he was telling me to move to the USA. So I heeded his advice and came over to USA to get my Master's degree. Most of my family in India is scattered - aunts and uncles and cousins all lived in various cities, some even overseas so I got to see them quite infrequently growing up. I have made peace with the choice of being here whilst my parents and only sibling live in India. I do go back often to see them so that is fine with me (perhaps not with them so much).

I have been quite fortunate in terms of the decision to move away so far, have made lots of new friends, seen a lot of new places, learned a new language. There are always pluses and minuses to each situation. I am an eternal glass half full type mentality person so things have been quite good for me.

Hope this helps you someways in deciding what holds for you in your future journey.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Oh and the trip this time was cheap, found a $543 airfare to India from Los Angeles, round trip. That is less than what I paid to go to Chicago next week :)

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Yeah I can relate. My wife and I have no kids so living in the 'burbs' isn't appealing.

I prefer a more city style living with stuff to do. I grew up in a fairly large city so it kind of appeals. I know cities are not for everyone.

However, there is an appeal to areas that have a mixture of city/town and rural and close to the sea. My wife and I both like seaside. Though we live near the sea now it's not exactly where we want to be. So our next step is to get to where we want to be. :)

The best thing to do is to sort out what works for you, what you like and where you want to be. It doesn't need to be permanent but having the experience can be fulfilling. Also keep in mind work prospects and all that. If you recall I pointed out those holiday visas as one option. There's many others available. Then there's simply moving to the nearest city or another state entirely in the US.

Lots of options. :)

I agree with you on the appeal with those kind of areas. I hope that you two find that place, it sounds like it would be great! A mixture of city/town is up my alley.

I think I'll do that, thanks once again. I remember the options you shared with me about the holiday visas. Since I'm thinking of going to grad school (knock on wood that I get in) later in the year, the nearest city might be more likely for now.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

My Chicago trips aren't as glamorous as from the glory days of past. I usually land at O'Hare airport and stay at a hotel close by because a supplier is right across from Runway 7 at the airport. Minneapolis is actually a day trip, land Wednesday night, work all day Thursday and spend Friday trying to get back to LA.

A professor of mine who I looked up to and admired a lot during my undergraduate degree recommended that I move to the USA. I kind of ignored his advice and started working in India after my Bachelor's degree but about 6-7 months into my first job I understood why he was telling me to move to the USA. So I heeded his advice and came over to USA to get my Master's degree. Most of my family in India is scattered - aunts and uncles and cousins all lived in various cities, some even overseas so I got to see them quite infrequently growing up. I have made peace with the choice of being here whilst my parents and only sibling live in India. I do go back often to see them so that is fine with me (perhaps not with them so much).

I have been quite fortunate in terms of the decision to move away so far, have made lots of new friends, seen a lot of new places, learned a new language. There are always pluses and minuses to each situation. I am an eternal glass half full type mentality person so things have been quite good for me.

Hope this helps you someways in deciding what holds for you in your future journey.

Ah okay, I see. Noted.

Wow, what a story. That is amazing. It does help a bit, thanks for sharing and answering. You seem like a glass half type of person (I see that as a good thing).

It's interesting that you note that about your family being scattered, I can kind of relate to that. I have met my extended family (most of them anyway) once and that was fine. That's a weird thing to say probably, but I don't really think about them much. My immediate family is all here in the same county and state at that so I see them often. I'm boring and I think I'll just live in the same county as them, but not this town/city. I'm hoping for grad school to be in the cards for me this year so I'm not going to do anything reckless.

You and Rue have given me a bit to think about, and that is much appreciated.

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

What an awkward weather. It's been snowing constantly in the past week, and now the sun's shining like in July.

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

I'm hearing the regret talks from my parents once again. They didn't want to leave Bosnia when they could, and they're all like, we should have gone, opportunities wasted, bla bla.
We could have gone to St. Louis when I was 4 months old.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

I'm hearing the regret talks from my parents once again. They didn't want to leave Bosnia when they could, and they're all like, we should have gone, opportunities wasted, bla bla.
We could have gone to St. Louis when I was 4 months old.

Regret talks are hard to hear sometimes. :(

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

So far, the show is only he said-she said. No evidence or proof at all. This is the kind of journalism I really do not prefer.

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

It's more like an interview with people who were in contact with him in certain period of time.

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

And this blonde is in loved with him or what, she seems to worship him. I was so right in my previous post about politicians.

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

An hour of my life completely wasted. Probably one of the worst documentaries I've seen so far. There was no point in the whole thing, neither did they make me question or make concluscions of my own. None of those. It was like watching a few people chatting and gossping with coffe in a Sunday afternoon.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon