WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Hiked to the top of Baden Powell peak today. Some interesting pictures, pinecones, spiderweb, view from the top and geological marker.
5b64b3f884796a3b5334a308dc0d83cc.jpg
79f1ba704de407557768046cc8172bd9.jpg
ab4cdfcfa89799700103380486a59e61.jpg
036bafd2cb8309908dcb637d6d7f4127.jpg

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Doing this in the worst possible pan that's taking eons to come to temp. This will be interesting for sure...
Man, I need to get an air fryer. This took too long. Not sure if I'm going to fry enough to use it though.

Still, it was cool to put the old thermometer in and watch oil temps.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Man, I need to get an air fryer. This took too long. Not sure if I'm going to fry enough to use it though.

Still, it was cool to put the old thermometer in and watch oil temps.
You have the same issue we do.

Think that having a fryer is a good idea but don't do enough of it to justify buying one.

We keep thinking about getting one then change our minds.

Last edited:

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

So today in heading into Paris.

We're going in to see the King Tut exhibition.

However, it's féte nationale or what English people call Bastille Day.

Think forth of July kind of thing.

Oddly enough we're not going to be anywhere near the festivities.

Also we'll miss the parade and the fireworks. Fireworks are on at 11pm. I have to work tomorrow. Parade is on now and I'm still at home.

We've decided to drive in. Hopefully it will be ok. Parking is free on the streets of Paris on Sundays but we may need to pay for parking if we can't find any.

Not entirely sure about the area we're going to either. Looks a bit rough.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I've been listening to a podcast recently about France's history. It's called Land of Desire.

The person doing the podcast did a series in tourists and how important they are to Paris and have been for a long time.

What was interesting was that apparently there's a condition that some young Japanese ladies get because, as it turns out, Paris isn't perfect... About 20 people a year get this. It's a bit like an overwhelming depression.

So note to those coming to Paris and France in general. Don't set your expectations too high.

Paris is beautiful as are a lot of areas of France. But Paris is city with all that comes with that.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

So today in heading into Paris.

We're going in to see the King Tut exhibition.

However, it's féte nationale or what English people call Bastille Day.

Think forth of July kind of thing.

Oddly enough we're not going to be anywhere near the festivities.

Also we'll miss the parade and the fireworks. Fireworks are on at 11pm. I have to work tomorrow. Parade is on now and I'm still at home.

We've decided to drive in. Hopefully it will be ok. Parking is free on the streets of Paris on Sundays but we may need to pay for parking if we can't find any.

Not entirely sure about the area we're going to either. Looks a bit rough.

Correct me if I'm wrong but it would seem the American 4th of July celebration is not exactly endearing to the French. I believe the tipping point of the French Revolution was centered around Louis XVI's oppressive taxes to recoup revenue for supporting the American Revolution.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Correct me if I'm wrong but it would seem the American 4th of July celebration is not exactly endearing to the French. I believe the tipping point of the French Revolution was centered around Louis XVI's oppressive taxes to recoup revenue for supporting the American Revolution.
The French sent over the statue of Liberty after all. I think their beef was with the elites such as Marie "Let them eat cake but got my block knocked off eventually" Antoinette as opposed to whatever the F the Puritans were doing here.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I've been listening to a podcast recently about France's history. It's called Land of Desire.

The person doing the podcast did a series in tourists and how important they are to Paris and have been for a long time.

What was interesting was that apparently there's a condition that some young Japanese ladies get because, as it turns out, Paris isn't perfect... About 20 people a year get this. It's a bit like an overwhelming depression.

So note to those coming to Paris and France in general. Don't set your expectations too high.

Paris is beautiful as are a lot of areas of France. But Paris is city with all that comes with that.
You mean to tell me that there may be some chabolas/bidonville elements to fair Paris? Shocking (high sarcasm alert).

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I think I settled down and found a decent G cam port. I'll likely shoot the auto pictures with that when using the V35 and to switch to manual mode (auto settings) when I want the wide angle cam and such.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

The reasons for the French revolution are multi faceted. There's no one thing that started it. It was a culmination of a lot of things - Inequality, high taxes, enlightened ideas, lofty monarchy, poor crops, etc.

It's funny how we're sort of back to this point again. Just goes to show that we don't learn from history.

Also, France went from republic to dictator to republic so it wasn't a smooth ride.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

The French sent over the statue of Liberty after all. I think their beef was with the elites such as Marie "Let them eat cake but got my block knocked off eventually" Antoinette as opposed to whatever the F the Puritans were doing here.
They also gave the USA their Constitution or the ideas for it anyway.

Last edited:

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

You mean to tell me that there may be some chabolas/bidonville elements to fair Paris? Shocking (high sarcasm alert).

The area we went to wasn't that bad. Lots of graffiti about.

We went to the 19th arrondissement which is in the North East of Paris and is one of the bigger arrondissements. The outer ones are all fairly large.

To get to this we used the ring road that goes around the 20 arrondissements. Technically if you live on the inside of the ring road you're in Paris. If you're on the other side you're not.

As we got closer to the 19th we came across refugee camps along the sides of the ring road. I was a little startled by that. Unless you drove from the airport to the center of Paris you wouldn't see this and that's of course if you came in on that airport.

I'm not entirely sure why this hasn't been taken care of yet but that's sot of France for you.

At this moment the 19th is one of the more 'real' areas left of Paris but I have little doubt that this will eventually change.

I think changes will come more once (if?) Brexit happens.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I think I settled down and found a decent G cam port. I'll likely shoot the auto pictures with that when using the V35 and to switch to manual mode (auto settings) when I want the wide angle cam and such.
As much as I respect the software achievements here, I think an overreliance on G cam ports to fix bad native cameras is a mistake all around.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site

Rue, I read that Macron announced that France is starting their own Space Agency, Is this something that the people support or that France can financially support.

I would have thought it would be more sensible to join the ESA.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site

As much as I respect the software achievements here, I think an overreliance on G cam ports to fix bad native cameras is a mistake all around.
Total agree. Its a bit of a lazy cop out on the side of the phone makers.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Rue, I read that Macron announced that France is starting their own Space Agency, Is this something that the people support or that France can financially support.

I would have thought it would be more sensible to join the ESA.

From what I have read it appears that France has one of the main launch pads for the ESA.

France also have their own satellites in space.

It appears that Macron is pushing the ESA (and France) to be more prepared for threats from space. This means Russia, USA, etc.

His goals are still EU based but taking a lead role.

I don't know what the French think yet as I haven't looked at the papers or heard anything for or against the idea at work.

The cost doesn't seem that great considering other things I've seen. He's combining the air force and space together.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786