WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I'm still waiting. I definitely want a V50, but not for the current prices.

I definitely prefer manual camera on the V20. I know I'll like the V50 manual camera for that reason.

I'm not into the G line, since the V line has the DAC that I much prefer.

For some reason I never got into video. My dad had an 8mm movie camera when I was a kid, many family members and friends had camcorders, and one friend even majored in film at university. However, I've never shot any video at all on any device for whatever reason. I've only taken an interest in still photography.
Um, the DAC has been the same for the most part since the V20. For my ears, between the V20, G7, V35 and V40, there hasn't been much difference. Now, I still prefer the sound on 8.1 vs 9.0, but that's just me. You should be fine there.

Others have good manual modes (Sony, Nokia, somewhat Huawei). LG's I like because I feel like the camera rewards me for using the manual mode. I don't even use the AI cam on the LG (Huawei's version is better to me) as I enjoy manual.

Video is a funny thing. I saw some people got some great results from the V20 and the G7, but I wasn't so lucky. Now that I have a better feel for the camera app, I'm more willing to take the time to get the videos to my taste. I tested out the manual video and the cine video yesterday too. I liked them both. LG's mics are pretty sensitive for video too. I think where they need to improve is with the font facing camera, auto mode (they started to address these two with the G8) and I would love to see variable aperture on both the telephoto and wide angle lenses.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Thanks. The V40 is quite capable. While we all can't have access to Pixels/Mates/iPhones/Galaxy S models, I still think LG brings some useful stuff to the table (notice how everyone is now using a wide angle lens). I took some test videos and they were typical LG - pretty good, especially with the audio.

This camera almost makes me want the G8 to try, but I'm good with what I have. Sounds like if you can get a V50 on a good deal, Laura, you may like it.

I agree with Laura. Really nice shots!

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Um, the DAC has been the same for the most part since the V20. For my ears, between the V20, G7, V35 and V40, there hasn't been much difference. Now, I still prefer the sound on 8.1 vs 9.0, but that's just me. You should be fine there.

Others have good manual modes (Sony, Nokia, somewhat Huawei). LG's I like because I feel like the camera rewards me for using the manual mode. I don't even use the AI cam on the LG (Huawei's version is better to me) as I enjoy manual.

Video is a funny thing. I saw some people got some great results from the V20 and the G7, but I wasn't so lucky. Now that I have a better feel for the camera app, I'm more willing to take the time to get the videos to my taste. I tested out the manual video and the cine video yesterday too. I liked them both. LG's mics are pretty sensitive for video too. I think where they need to improve is with the font facing camera, auto mode (they started to address these two with the G8) and I would love to see variable aperture on both the telephoto and wide angle lenses.

Ok, I wasn't aware of the G line having the same DAC as the V line.

Yeah, I read one of your posts re the volume issues on 9.

I doubt if I'll ever try video, since it's just not my thing for whatever reason.

I'm not into selfies, so the FFC isn't important to me at all.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Ok, I wasn't aware of the G line having the same DAC as the V line.

Yeah, I read one of your posts re the volume issues on 9.

I doubt if I'll ever try video, since it's just not my thing for whatever reason.

I'm not into selfies, so the FFC isn't important to me at all.
Yeah, no one is touching LG with audio out of the 3.5mm, so they kinda incrementally update the dac these days. The last to push LG in that area were ZTE with the Axon 7 and Alcatel with the Idol 4S. Sony was in the mix but their amps were never powerful enough to drive the headphones.

I just point out those gripes as if LG is marketing the v line for content creators then auto mode (stills and video), manual mode (stills and video), and the FFC (stills and video) such all be outstanding. That's not been the case.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, no one is touching LG with audio out of the 3.5mm, so they kinda incrementally update the dac these days. The last to push LG in that area were ZTE with the Axon 7 and Alcatel with the Idol 4S. Sony was in the mix but their amps were never powerful enough to drive the headphones.

I just point out those gripes as if LG is marketing the v line for content creators then auto mode (stills and video), manual mode (stills and video), and the FFC (stills and video) such all be outstanding. That's not been the case.
Yeah, I agree with you re those features for content creation.

BTW, re some of the other devices you mentioned in your previous post, I can't use them since my carrier is Verizon. I can't switch carriers, since Verizon is the only carrier that allows me to make phone calls from my home. I had AT&T for many years, but their signal became nonexistent last year. My neighbours said T-Mobile is just as bad, and Sprint isn't even a consideration to me.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I don't get why people who know that someone has a clear life goal that is different from theirs still try to connect with someone who doesn't want the same. It's different if you didn't know but if it's there, come on.

This is in reference to apps. Used 2 days chatting with someone who I knew didn't make sense with that difference.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
A different topic from tech/relationship/food... Mosquitos, so small but darn scary.

Another case of dengue fever in the neighbourhood, the health dept came and fogged the area.
c2f34ccfed0120f30e213efddd08e5e6.jpg

Having had two episodes of malaria before (long long time ago) it scary how people are indifferent to how mosquito breeds in their own garden or premise.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
A different topic from tech/relationship/food... Mosquitos, so small but darn scary.

Another case of dengue fever in the neighbourhood, the health dept came and fogged the area.

Having had two episodes of malaria before (long long time ago) it scary how people are indifferent to how mosquito breeds in their own garden or premise.
Mosquitoes are also terrible for dogs and cats. There is no cure for heartworm in cats. Heartworm in dogs is curable if caught in time, but costly to treat and requires lengthy treatment with extensive rest for the dog.

It's completely preventable just by giving pets medicine once a month, which is cheap, effective and not producing any issues for the pets.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
So, last night I had a phone scare.

Anyone who has taken the NYC Subway system knows how dirty these places unfortunately are. I was at near enough to the edge of the platform and took my V40 out to look up something online. I had just gotten dinner from my favorite Ethiopian restaurant. They have this new thing where they put dinner in essentially a pizza style box with the restaurant's branding on it. I was also thinking about some stuff that was annoying the hell out of me in that moment as well. Unfortunately, my hand bumped against the edge of the box, slid across its top and off the platform...onto the subway tracks.

There was a collective gasp - both from the people around me and those on the other side of platform who saw what happened. I stood calm, and then took a look over the edge. I saw the phone resting face up in a spot where it was hard too see - and thus reach - but yet not too far from the platform. It was also in between the wood on the track bed, whereby the train wheels wouldn't run over it.

I started to think if that station had an agent in the booth (MTA closed booths with agents across the system). Fortunately, there was...and it was by the exit I were was. So I let the guy know what happened and they sent an employee - 45 minutes later (this was a weekend, a terrible - due to the wait time for the MTA employee to show up and great time - no one decided to hop down on the tracks to steal it - for this to have happened). Fortunately, the phone was retrieved. It was dirty, the case took the brunt of the fall and was busted up. There was a crack in the tempered glass by the ambient light sensor, but the screen underneath is fine. No damage underneath the back panel with the decal either. I used some sanitary wipes to clean it up (yay IP rating). I shook the employee's hand in thanks and went on my way. He used a grabber to retrieve in between trains pulling into the station (he wore a vest and lanterns to signal the oncoming train).

The thing is that with my LG phones I enable secure storage. This means you need ADB level skills to access it, as without the correct knock code on startup, you cannot get in like that. So I wasn't too worried about if someone picked it up, as most likely it would be a paperweight. And worse case scenario, I had a spare - Mate 20 Pro, or I could go hound the repair guy over my HTC 10 (still no word yet). So I wasn't broken hearted if the phone had been damaged worse or lost. (I'd get a G8 as a replacement). In fact, when I came back from altering the clerk in the booth, I turned on my wireless headphones and both the Galaxy watch and headphones reconnected. That's how I knew the phone was in decent shape. So I listened to Santana (Supernatural and Abraxis) wirelessly while I waited.

If I didn't have such options as an enthusiast, I'd be more likely to be a more distraught reaction.

If this was the Mate, it would be done for. Even though it's in a sturdier case, the curvy nature of the phone would have screwed it in this case. Now, I suppose I may change my usage habits in the subway. I was on the way to using it less inclined to use it out like that, and this accelerates it. I now have to use it sans case until the replacement arrives.

Just an interesting experience.

Last edited:

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Had the Impossible Whopper today.
Quite good I must say.
Over here in France they're still in denial of eating anything they want. There is a very small vegan movement.

I think there's some restaurants in Paris that have the impossible burger or the other one that I can't remember the name of.

I have to get around to trying it one day.

Last edited:

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Anyone who has taken the NYC Subway system knows how dirty these places unfortunately are. I was at near enough to the edge of the platform and took my V40 out to look up something online. I had just gotten dinner from my favorite Ethiopian restaurant. They have this new thing where they put dinner in essentially a pizza style box with the restaurant's branding on it. I was also thinking about some stuff that was annoying the hell out of me in that moment as well. Unfortunately, my hand bumped against the edge of the box, slid across its top and off the platform...onto the subway tracks.

There was a collective gasp - both from the people around me and those on the other side of platform who saw what happened. I stood calm, and then took a look over the edge. I saw the phone resting face up in a spot where it was hard too see - and thus reach - but yet not too far from the platform. It was also in between the wood on the track bed, whereby the train wheels wouldn't run over it.

I started to think if that station had an agent in the booth (MTA closed booths with agents across the system). Fortunately, there was...and it was by the exit I were was. So I let the guy know what happened and they sent an employee - 45 minutes later (this was a weekend, a terrible - due to the wait time for the MTA employee to show up and great time - no one decided to hop down on the tracks to steal it - for this to have happened). Fortunately, the phone was retrieved. It was dirty, the case took the brunt of the fall and was busted up. There was a crack in the tempered glass by the ambient light sensor, but the screen underneath is fine. No damage underneath the back panel with the decal either. I used some sanitary wipes to clean it up (yay IP rating). I shook the employee's hand in thanks and went on my way. He used a grabber to retrieve in between trains pulling into the station (he wore a vest and lanterns to signal the oncoming train).

The thing is that with my LG phones I enable secure storage. This means you need ADB level skills to access it, as without the correct knock code on startup, you cannot get in like that. So I wasn't too worried about if someone picked it up, as most likely it would be a paperweight. And worse case scenario, I had a spare - Mate 20 Pro, or I could go hound the repair guy over my HTC 10 (still no word yet). So I wasn't broken hearted if the phone had been damaged worse or lost. (I'd get a G8 as a replacement). In fact, when I came back from altering the clerk in the booth, I turned on my wireless headphones and both the Galaxy watch and headphones reconnected. That's how I knew the phone was in decent shape. So I listened to Santana (Supernatural and Abraxis) wirelessly while I waited.

If I didn't have such options as an enthusiast, I'd be more likely to be a more distraught reaction.

If this was the Mate, it would be done for. Even though it's in a sturdier case, the curvy nature of the phone would have screwed it in this case. Now, I suppose I may change my usage habits in the subway. I was on the way to using it less inclined to use it out like that, and this accelerates it. I now have to use it sans case until the replacement arrives.

That could've been a bit more disastrous than it was.

Glad it worked out for you.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I lived in a spot in Australia where they came by about once every two weeks to spray with a helicopter. We had a creek at the end of the property and they were worried about something.

All it did was make the mosquitoes more angry. Never ran into such aggressive mosquitoes in my life.

Something to think about. Dragonflies eat mosquitoes. Quite a few in a day. Maybe they should look into attracting more dragonflies.

I've luckily never caught anything from mosquitoes. I've lived in about three places that I know of that had something.

I should point out that mosquitoes really like me. It's a one way relationship though...

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Wow. I can't even begin to imagine I am glad that you were able to get your phone and that it was that phone that this happened to.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

I'm glad your phone survived!

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Over here in France they're still in denial of eating anything they want. There is a very small vegan movement.

I think there's some restaurants in Paris that have the impossible burger or the other one that I can't remember the name of.

I have to get around to trying it one day.
It seems like this is just something in French culture that's ingrained for so many years. I watched some of Anthony Bourdain's shows, and it really appears that meats and cheeses are hugely popular in France. I wouldn't want to live in France if I were vegan. I doubt the culture there surrounding foods would change in my lifetime.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
It seems like this is just something in French culture that's ingrained for so many years. I watched some of Anthony Bourdain's shows, and it really appears that meats and cheeses are hugely popular in France. I wouldn't want to live in France if I were vegan. I doubt the culture there surrounding foods would change in my lifetime.

I'll put this into perspective.

I like French people in general. It's like anywhere else in the world when it comes to people. Overall most are good.

However, the French have a big ego when it comes to their food and when you get out of the cities, a very big ego about their lifestyle, culture and traditions.

Sustainability in a lot of places is at the bottom of the list here in France. It's more important that their lifestyle, culture and traditions are sustained rather than the environment that makes those things possible.

The French are not alone in this of course as many places in the world are stuck in their ways and the idea of eating a sustainable diet is like telling someone to stop being a human.

Their 'rights' and 'traditions' are way more important than the fact that they won't be able to fish or hunt in less than 30 years because there won't be anything to fish or hunt.

We humans are just plain stupid. I hate to put it that way but it's the reality. We are eating ourselves to death and taking the planet with us. Though the planet will be fine (for a few billion years), humans....

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I forgot to mention that meat is a big thing here, which is a bit depressing in some ways.

I like Asian cuisine (Chinese, etc) and generally they focus on the vegetables and the meat is sort of secondary. This is traditionally but it may have changed in more recent times. Food tastes are changing there.. sigh

This typically means that Asian food in general is very fresh and flavourful.

Here in France because meat is what people want the Asian restaurants have changed their food to match the locals so the dishes are heavily meat oriented. Very few vegetables.

On top of that you find cheese in the Asian foods as well including even Japanese. Which I've NEVER seen before anywhere else.

I can appreciate that restaurant owners want to have customers but I do hope over time things change to be more authentic flavours. It's so hard to find a good Chinese, Thai and Indian restaurant here. I'm still looking...

Let's keep in mind that meat overall is very unsustainable. Especially beef. Out of everything chicken is the most sustainable but no where near a vegan diet.

Lastly, you may have heard of the French paradox. It's completely false. It's not what French people eat but how they eat and how much they eat.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2