WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
One of the reasons why I was somewhat interested in the U12+ in fall 2018, was that I did like the package. HTC had scary good cameras at the time (year 3 of good cameras post the M9 disaster), and I think that I could have worked around no Qi on the device. I realize that for my usage, the button fiasco was blown out of proportion. Everything else was appealing, even though I questioned the battery size for the LCD screen.

The biggest thing that kept me away was the price. I was also concerned about software support as well. But the package was compelling enough to me where had I found it at a decent price, I would have rolled the dice. I wasn't going to pay those crazy prices for 64GB/6GB RAM. I wish that they had done the 128GB as the sole model and sold it at the price for the 64GB one. I think the cameras can still compete now, such a shame really.

Oh, well. I can get one new. I can get one the same price as a Mi 9T pro 256GB. The Xiaomi wins on newer lens, battery life, better software support and newer chip set and screen. HTC wins on audio, IP rating, expandable storage and maybe cameras. Just thought that HTC were finally on to something but they were too damaged beyond repair.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
So it looks like we have the apartment.

Still won't celebrate until I have the keys in hand. I haven't signed a lease yet.

We told them we would take the apartment asap because we need to get things in before we move. We need to buy stuff. We also want to decorate.

Owner doesn't live in Paris but is sending the lease to the neighbour who showed us the apartment. All going well wet should have the keys by Tuesday at the latest.

So we'll see.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Still won't celebrate until I have the keys in hand. I haven't signed a lease yet.

We told them we would take the apartment asap because we need to get things in before we move. We need to buy stuff. We also want to decorate.

Owner doesn't live in Paris but is sending the lease to the neighbour who showed us the apartment. All going well wet should have the keys by Tuesday at the latest.

So we'll see.
Good luck with this. Hopefully you get the keys on time and can start setting up the space to your liking.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

So we'll see.

I also wish you good luck, and I hope that y'all be able to do what you need to do.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
As with all things, there's always twists.

My wife found something in the area we like.

Unfortunately I'm not overly fond of the details of renting but she's completely interested.

We're both not thrilled with the place we found, it was a compromise but it was easier to rent.

This place....

Sigh.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
As with all things, there's always twists.

My wife found something in the area we like.

Unfortunately I'm not overly fond of the details of renting but she's completely interested.

We're both not thrilled with the place we found, it was a compromise but it was easier to rent.

This place....

Sigh.

Wow, this is truly a twist. Dang. Sounds like a decision might have to be made.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
So...I'm thinking about getting a Xioami as an intermezzo device, depending on what gets announced by LG at MWC this year. I somehow have a suspicion that LG will punt again this year (strong in audio, manual mode - decent auto mode and not very good pricing wise).

I was initially leaning towards a Mi Mix 3 5g, but if I plan to really use this as a daily driver, I may be better served with a Mi 9T pro. My ultimate preference would be a Xperia 5 or V50, my issues are that the Xperia 5 is too expensive and I cannot get my hands on a V50 (Korean) in a non hassle free manner (eBay). I would rather something smaller, but I don't want to get a G8 (V50 is preferred here).

I'd rather get a new device (I can get a mint Xperia 1 under $500). The camera for the both devices seem good enough to get by and I can find a G cam port if I need too. If I get a 9T pro, I might get a 256GB version vs the 128 model.

Normally a ZTE Axon 10 Pro would be considered (big screen, big battery, expanded storage and Qi). But, it's a curved screen and quite frankly, my Mate 20 Pro still betters this phone. Plus it seems like the Xioami has better cameras than the Axon here.

The battery of the V40 (which wasn't new upon purchase), isn't holding up as well as I would like. Xiaomi still has some of the better 3.5mm around, so it's not a total loss there. Not a fan of the no IP rating or Qi, but I've used Xiaomi devices before (and use their tablet daily). Still, it's earlier days yet. I can wait another month.
Make sure there's a G-Cam port available for the Xperia. Sony's have been notoriously difficult to get ports without having to root or at least install a custom recovery. I'd still be on my XA2 Ultra if it weren't such a hassle. BTW, the camera on this Note9 is the shizzle. That Night Mode impressed me bigly.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
So yesterday I had to go see a supplier about 70 miles away. Getting down there wasn't too shabby - 1 hour 35 min. Coming back home around 5PM was a slog and a half. Got home about 2.5 hours later. Ugh, I hate LA traffic.

Oh and I have to go do a LAX run today as well.

Fun times indeed.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Make sure there's a G-Cam port available for the Xperia. Sony's have been notoriously difficult to get ports without having to root or at least install a custom recovery. I'd still be on my XA2 Ultra if it weren't such a hassle. BTW, the camera on this Note9 is the shizzle. That Night Mode impressed me bigly.
I was satisfied with the camera on the XZ2 when I had it, so I doubt I'd use a g cam port on the Xperia 5 if I bought one. I stopped searching for G cam ports for the V40 a while back and stopped using them on the V35.

I like to have the G cam port for moments when I want to be lazy, but I'm learning not to rely on them as much because they came out too blue/green the last few builds in used. I know that because of how popular Oneplus and Xiaomi devices are with devs, I can find an updated G cam port.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Wow, this is truly a twist. Dang. Sounds like a decision might have to be made.
So the there was no issues.

The other apartment is ours now. So it's all good.

Here's one side of the view. The other looks onto a large park.

Yes that the Eiffel Tower and the Pantheon. Unfortunately phone cameras stuck still.

That's not that far away as it looks.
2d655adbf5a051debe5afcb8587c4a34.jpg

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Yes that the Eiffel Tower and the Pantheon. Unfortunately phone cameras stuck still.

Yay, congratulations!

Also what a view...

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

Congratulations on getting the new apartment. Good luck with moving.

That is a beautiful photo.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Decided to dig out an old favorite keyboard after getting annoyed with both Google and Swfitkey. Been a while since I used the old BlackBerry keyboard. Going completely old school - no predictive words as that can be incredibly distracting. Wish I could better three it to take away this grey look and make ot true black...but will make ot work as usual.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
When we actually move in to our new place, beginning of Feb, I'll get the DSLR out and take some decent shots.

The apartment is double aspect. We face NW/SE. This is common here in Paris. Especially for larger apartments (2 or more bedrooms).

In our case we're also top floor which is nice. It was a desire but it seemed an unlikely possibility. Most rental places are ground, 1st & 2nd. Typically the worst.

The compromises with this place are mostly due to our being in an area without a fast train into Paris. The others being that the two bedrooms and kitchen are on the small side.

However the living room/dining is huge and we have an enclosed glass balcony that we're going to 'junglfy'. The doors open on the balcony as well and there is a view towards Sacre Coeur but it's not great.

We are well connected though. I only need one bus (20 min) to get to work and there's literally a Metro station out front. The Metro isn't the best station and it's slow which is why I said this place is a bit of a compromise.

We're in a general good location overall though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon