Jolla phone is a colorful, Sailfish OS-powered Android alternative

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Can't wait for mine to arrive! :D Should be here tomorrow. To me Nokia's Swipe UI is the best mobile UI ever done, so naturally I had to get its follow up.
Some of the Maemo purists are not too happy about the inclusion of Android app support, but personally after N900 and N9 I have no problem with that at all.

Most likely my Lumia 920 will remain as my main phone and Jolla will be my play around/secondary phone. Time will tell.

Can't wait to read about your "first impressions". Never tried Meego but it seems similar to webOS.

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Can't wait to read about your "first impressions". Never tried Meego but it seems similar to webOS.

Sorry I haven't been too active here for the past months.

I have been enjoying the phone quite a bit. Loving to get back to truly controlling what's happening on the device after a bit over a year of only iOS and WP devices. Also fully gesture based UI, like Nokia's MeeGo Swipe UI is so refreshing once again.
Though just like with N9, Lumia 800 or Z10 I would not recommend it to a friend. Even with that surprisingly seamless Android app support, getting example Google Play Store installed to your Jolla is not as easy as just finding package somewhere and installing it. I knew this buying the OS and device, but your average smartphone user would not bother.

As a negative for something I was not expecting has been that battery life is very poor. Something you haven't seen since the iPhone 3GS, Droid, N900 etc 65nm single core days. In a heavy use you should get by till evening, but what's especially bad is that just on standby the battery might not last the whole day. Reason for this is that Jolla had to change the SoC from ST-Ericsson chip in June to Qualcomm after ST-Ericsson got in to trouble. Resulting in less than optimal time to do optimization on battery life. Thankfully Jolla has reported that because of this software updates will improve this.

Last edited:

Qtweeder

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
the battery life issue, is being worked on, apparently partly relating to some NFC power drain, a bug of sorts, which should be fixed eventually. liking mine a lot, even though the new update is un-downloadable atm, due to server overload :(

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon