Jolla phone is a colorful, Sailfish OS-powered Android alternative

Carib1964

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Yes and I'm sure that there are a few people on this forum that do not visit Cnet's web site and may be interested in this.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Haha I'm not saying that some people don't read CNET, but I thought it was funny that you basically copy/pasted the first paragraph from the article.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
As it's a company based in Finland, I obviously hope for all the best for it. I also thought Meego and N9 were pretty sweet but didn't get a proper chance before being killed off.

However I think the mobile phone business is very cut throat, and I'm not sure if launching a new OS (especially with really.. nothing to go with in the past) is gonna work all that well. I guess if Samsung would ditch Android for their Tizen.. that might make people look for an alternative..

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I am all in on competition, but as I have rambled on about for several times on similar threads: What can possibly be the bar for success for a company with limited funds, near zero support, and trying to get a market to try something new? MS has tossed billions at WP, and is still scratching at the 10% marketshare goal.

I have watched several videos on Sailfish OS. All I can say is that it is a grid-based OS, just like Android and iOS, that has a neat organizational idea for open apps.

WP is different. BB10 is different. Ubuntu I haven't seen yet.

Sailfish, Tizen, and Firefox OS's just seem too similar. What is the appeal? It is the same basis as Andriod and iOS, just without the apps?

Combined, these OS's might cracked 2%-3% by the end of 2014 mid 2015. Would that be enough to keep a couple of them alive??

AV2RY

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
I watched few videos on mynokiablog about jolla and honestly did not like it at all.. Way too much swiping left-right, up-down. And I didnot understand what "he" was trying to do/show

Qtweeder

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
cant wait for mine, paid in full the other day, am a long time user of the n9 before my l920, and i miss the swipe interface something rotten!

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I want them to succeed. Gives (former) Nokia fans (and Tomi Ahonen) a reason to be happy.

What I'm not a fan of is how far they've deviated from the original Swipe UI. Now, that was the epitome of user-friendly.

Sent from my Lumia 620 using Tapatalk

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
It won't survive. What else besides an OS do they have?

Apps - No
Ecosystem - No
Existing customer base - No

That's just the software side. Don't even want to go down the hardware path.

Qtweeder

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
gsquared have you even done your homework before such a slanted and misinformed comment?!

apps, core apps provided by sailfish for all basics
apps, all android apps.

ecosystem: jolla and android

existing customer base: just anyone with an android phone, you can eventually install sailfish on their device. not to mention nokia n950 / n9's and the jolla units themselves

hardware, well it has the unique other half, which will provide all manners of hardware add-ons, inductive charging, extra batteries, better camera, hardware keyboard etc etc

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I expect that they hope to get some old school Nokia loyalists that hate MS. Maybe it will be enough to keep them going for a year or two.

I bet the real goal is to just to get noticed enough for a bigger company to buy them out.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
gsquared have you even done your homework before such a slanted and misinformed comment?!

I'm pretty sure he did. I did, and I agree with him.

apps, core apps provided by sailfish for all basics

Core apps are, of course, not the apps to which he was referring. Were that the case, WP8 would never have been tagged with "not enough apps" as all the core apps are provided by WP8 itself.

apps, all android apps.

ecosystem: jolla and android

So... what's the point? Why would anyone buy into a new, untrusted platform to gain Android compatibility when they could, I dunno, just buy an Android phone?

existing customer base: just anyone with an android phone, you can eventually install sailfish on their device.

You mean a fraction of anyone with an Android phone, right? The majority of Android phone users just buy the phone, download a few apps, and use it. The majority won't root their phones, much less install a completely different OS on it.

hardware, well it has the unique other half, which will provide all manners of hardware add-ons, inductive charging, extra batteries, better camera, hardware keyboard

And no existing Android manufacturer is going to release spec-matching or exceeding hardware, right? Because none of them have, or could possibly ever have, inductive charging, extra batteries, a better camera, or a hardware keyboard, right?

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I've got an android phone I'd like to try sailfish on when it's available. I don't think it will be more than a niche platform at best though.

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Can't wait for mine to arrive! :D Should be here tomorrow. To me Nokia's Swipe UI is the best mobile UI ever done, so naturally I had to get its follow up.
Some of the Maemo purists are not too happy about the inclusion of Android app support, but personally after N900 and N9 I have no problem with that at all.

Most likely my Lumia 920 will remain as my main phone and Jolla will be my play around/secondary phone. Time will tell.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon