New windows phones?

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure this year we will get new windows phones, like the W3. But what else do you think will arrive at CES this year? I think the Lumia 929 will finally be announced. :)

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure this year we will get new windows phones, like the W3. But what else do you think will arrive at CES this year? I think the Lumia 929 will finally be announced. :)

Normally you dont see too much Mobile phones during CES.... There is a Mobile show in Feburay and that is when you see most of the new phones coming out.

This is for the mobile show...

http://www.mobileworldcongress.com/

You should see some during CES but, Nokia for example does not even have a booth at CES...

You can search CES 2014 vendors here

2014 International CES? Exhibitor Directory

CES is normally for tech, TV, video, gadgets...but, you will see a lot of mobile phone accessories but, as for Mobile phones, not too much normally.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Normally you dont see too much Mobile phones during CES.... There is a Mobile show in Feburay and that is when you see most of the new phones coming out.

This is for the mobile show...

http://www.mobileworldcongress.com/

You should see some during CES but, Nokia for example does not even have a booth at CES...

You can search CES 2014 vendors here

2014 International CES? Exhibitor Directory

CES is normally for tech, TV, video, gadgets...but, you will see a lot of mobile phone accessories but, as for Mobile phones, not too much normally.

I don't think we will wait for MWC for the 929, but it might come after CES.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I don't think we will wait for MWC for the 929, but it might come after CES.

Depends on what Verizon and Nokia's plans are for an annoucement on it. Remember, the 929 is not even an offical phone according to Nokia or Verizon. Wasn't the rumor that it would not be released till the offical sale of Nokia's mobile devision over to Microsoft is completed ? This could take months...

If that is the case, you might end up seeing it at MWC....but, at this point, who knows, it's a Verizon thing and we always wait for ever from Verizon actually release a phone that has been a rumor for 6+ months...

I've been with Verizon for 15+ years and trust me, this has been happening for as long as I can remember...

I've been waiting for CES big time, as in Spring I plan on getting a new TV and I want to skip over getting a 1080p(my main tv is 1080i still) set and go directly to a 4K set but, they are too much in price right now...

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Just crossing my fingers for any sort of announcement at all for the NL929. If it was announced here, it could meet the speculated January 16th release date that Rubino mentioned.

dznk

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site

Yep, I think you're right. The only one that I can see being announced from Nokia is the 929, as this is long overdue really. The Verizon people have already waited long enough for this phone to come out. They deserve it in their hands now! ;)

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
There has also been a trend for big companies to recently announce new products in completely separate events between CES and MWC. I guess they want individual shows, where a new product release doesn't get lost in the noise of all the other announcements and technology discussions.

justin2623

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm officially done with windows phones if no new phones are released on Verizon before my upgrade in February... I've been loyal for a long time because of reliability of the OS. But with androids wide range of choices and it seems to be less glitchy with stock android. I would have thought they would have made some progress with notifications but no, apps kind of, phones.....nothing on Verizon since the 928. I went to my corporate Verizon store and they didn't even have a windows phone on the floor.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm officially done with windows phones if no new phones are released on Verizon before my upgrade in February... I've been loyal for a long time because of reliability of the OS. But with androids wide range of choices and it seems to be less glitchy with stock android. I would have thought they would have made some progress with notifications but no, apps kind of, phones.....nothing on Verizon since the 928. I went to my corporate Verizon store and they didn't even have a windows phone on the floor.

Don't be mad with Microsoft and Nokia about the lack of windows phones, be mad at Verizon.

justin2623

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Ya I agree, but either way Verizon pumps out great android phones one after another. Frustrating the lack of commitment from every carrier besides AT&T. Also frustrates me how well ios and android handle notifications. I mean does anybody else feel that way?

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Don't be mad with Microsoft and Nokia about the lack of windows phones, be mad at Verizon.

I don't know, I think Microsoft has some responsibility here. This exclusivity business drives me nuts! I'd love to have a 1020 but of course that is not a go on Verizon.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

gopher957

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
It's my hope, that once the "Microsoft Lumia" brand solidifies after the merger, Microsoft will have the clout to push a unified line of phones across all US networks. I assume it would look similar to the rumored iPhone line up of similar device form factors in 2-3 sizes. One can also hope the "Icon" is at least revealed before the end of January.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Ya I agree, but either way Verizon pumps out great android phones one after another. Frustrating the lack of commitment from every carrier besides AT&T. Also frustrates me how well ios and android handle notifications. I mean does anybody else feel that way?

One thing that helps boost that for Android is the amount of brands building phones, so every brand has their own phones in the pipeline. There's basically only Nokia for WP.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
One thing that helps boost that for Android is the amount of brands building phones, so every brand has their own phones in the pipeline. There's basically only Nokia for WP.

Says who ? There are a lot of companies who make WP8 devices, look around.. Waiting on new models sure but, HTC, Samsung, LG all made WP8 devices...

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I made the anaology on another tech site that this L929 situation reminds me of the HTC Thunderbolt and the Motorola Droid Bionic releases on Verizon. Both of those phones were known to be real, but never confirmed. Both of those devices got people excited for their specs and capabilities. Both of them had about a dozen rumored release dates that kept getting pushed back and pushed back.Both of those were equipped to be "hero" devices. Obviously, the T-Bolt was the first ever LTE device in the US, so it's situaton was a little unique. But the similarities are still accurate.

What disturbs me is that in those two examples of often put off devices: The delays ended up being warrented. Neither of those handsets lived up to the hype or wait. The T-Bolt was horrid battery life, and just had horrid performance issues never addressed by HTC. The Bionic was bumped from the top spot on Verizon's devices almost immediately by the new RAZR, and also got very little support to address it's issues (although it was a decent phone overall).

Kinda has me worried for the L929. Agin, different manufactuerers, different times, different situations.

But all three have this pattern and Verizon in common.

*shivers*

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Back on topic: CES has been fun so far. LG has given me 2 huge stories in the WebOS TV (excited!!) and the LG Flex is coming to AT&T, Sprint, and T-Mobile (my wife is excited for that phone and it's 6" screen, self-healing back). Otherwise, just some neat stuff flying around there. Nice to have CES in the beginning of the year when otherwise it would be a slow news cycle.

psudotechzealot

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
I don't know, but I plan on buying two phones in 2014, 1520 and a top tier WP8.1 phone. All I want is for nokia/MSFT or who ever, to make a metal WP8.1 phone with all the high end specs(at the time) and sell it in the Q3 or Q4.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes