why do you hate Google?

exkerZ

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Let's all be open minded! Also, respect each other. If you disagree, or are a strong believer in your reason, look for evidence. But don't use WPC or Microsoft as your primary proof, and let's try to stay away from blogs!

Go!

-- Bam --

baseballbert

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
I've tried Android, HTC Incredible. Phone itself was great. Android OS just didn't do it for me.

"Never half *** two things. Whole *** one thing." - Ron Swanson

amagner

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I don't necessarily "hate" Google. It's just that with their track record of ties to gov't interests I try to limit my exposure while online. I don't use gmail anymore (though it is forwarding to my outlook.com account). On my Nexus 7 I have as many "Googly" features disabled or permissions restricted so as to assist in that limitation. It's extremely difficult to ultimately trust any online presence/services anymore.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I don't necessarily "hate" Google. It's just that with their track record of ties to gov't interests I try to limit my exposure while online. I don't use gmail anymore (though it is forwarding to my outlook.com account). On my Nexus 7 I have as many "Googly" features disabled or permissions restricted so as to assist in that limitation. It's extremely difficult to ultimately trust any online presence/services anymore.

Very objective view! Google has been in the limelight lately, but it's not like the others are completely innocent. It's just that Google's business is centered around collecting, analyzing, and capitalizing on data. This means that they're the best at it.

thron

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
They have their fingers in too many pies.

Forcing that Google+ crap on people in a sad attempt to compete with Facebook. Bad business or big-brother tactic. Either way you see it, it's distasteful.
Their search engine went from being the best, to crappy results with ads at every turn.
Back-peddling.. before they got greedy they'd boast how they're not evil/ad-free..

The only product of theirs nowadays I like is Youtube.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Google is too happy and cheerful :eck:
google-logo4.jpg

I want something rigid and monolithic!:angry:
IBM-5.jpg

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I don't hate Google, but I trust term less than other big tech companies.

Google isn't trying to sell me a product. They are trying to sell ME. I am the product.

Sometimes I'm okay with that. But I don't think they've been up front enough with it with people. And that makes me feel uneasy.

I also feel like Android is pretty much a rip off of iOS. Well, it started that way anyways. And they skirt it by not actually "selling" the OS, like that somehow absolves then of the ethical breaches.

Last edited:

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
When they were coming up they were great, but once they moved to products, ie android, they started to change everything good about them to give their is an advantage. Very disapoiting. Case in point them trying to exclude WP users from integrating their Gmail because they knew most people considering wp were google users and that if it worked it would be enough to stop them from trying or using WP. That really pissed me off at the time. They used to be open. Had a great product, search, Gmail, docs, ECT. But now everything has to be theirs and they are fine with pissing off their users if it gives them the edge. Too bad really.

Akhilesh Bhambhani

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
I don't hate google. But familiar with there privacy policy just would like to know to what extent can their collected day affect us because I know they store data they use a software to scan mail and other stuff they claim NO ONE reads it but a,software. And project ads based on the data pulled by the "software" again. If they say your data isn't being read by anyone don't know how true it is. But what is the worst case scenario that can happen they know a lot about you they use it to sell you products. But just I need to know what is the worst that they can do their software scans things sees what is suitable for you and projects ads but if a software is doing it I need to know in what all way can it harm us? I only use youtube as it is but still would like to know from experts.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I just plain, flat out, prefer the MS ecosystem for the most part. Count me with @Thron- forcing people to sign up on Google+ is just to dictatorial. MS sure encourages you to use their services, and makes it obvious. But, you don't have to just to use their products.

Besides, how amazingly focused the adds that show up around Google services just creeps me out.

thron

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
they claim NO ONE reads it but a,software. And project ads based on the data pulled by the "software" again. If they say your data isn't being read by anyone don't know how true it is.

Consider the size of Google's customer-base. It's highly unlikely they have people reading your messages unless you're conversing about something the US government may have interest in. The amount of messages they process is probably infinite if you factor in the amount of spam the average person receives, too.

The same can be said for any large-scale company. What Google does with the data via automation processes, is another story.

Ordeith

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Google employees have been caught stalking and harassing Google users, using their access to Google's treasure trove of data in the process.

There have been cases of the employees reading email, talk transcripts, search history, and activity manipulating the privacy settings of others.

Hopefully Google's internal controls have improved, but it goes to show how much of a temptation all that personal data can be.

thron

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft got busted doing the same, of someone suspected of selling pirated Windows software.

I'm definitely not sticking up for Google, but the vast majority of people's info is uninteresting to these big companies; both Google/Microsoft.

Though Google's proven time & again that they want all of your data so they can figure out a way to sell to you/sell you to others.

Ordeith

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
What Microsoft did was nowhere near the same. Microsoft was a formal investigation by the company complete with a paper trail and legal team, whereas the Google employees (that we know of) took it upon themselves to abuse the access they had the to account data of Google's users, unsanctioned by Google.
And Microsoft wasn't "caught", they were forthcoming with what they did, they ousted themselves before there was any catching to be done.

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
I don't really hate Google, but for me since they acquired Youtube, they've clamped down on some areas and I don't like the direction it is going. Things like content claims on videos and the whole debacle over the WP app. I guess I am just more frustrated with Google than spiteful.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I don't hate them but I despise the Google Plus push. I use Android, yes I do. But do I use Google Plus? No, never in a million years. I don't use any social networks now and I am not going to start.

And if you don't "upgrade" to Google Plus you can rate apps, comment on YouTube, use Google Games, and some games require Google Plus sign in so you lose some functionality in some games because of that.

As far as everything else goes, its like this: whatever data you put it into your Google Account from their various services they take that data in improve your services overall. You used Google Maps to navigate to start work? They'll save that place and in Google Now, it'll show how long it will take to get to work the next day, show traffic and show the weather for that location. Without a doubt Googles services are immensely helpful and good so I allow them to handle my data. Do I worry about it? No. I am a college student who minds his own business and Google handling stuff like where I live and work and is not a worry. Its not like I'm doing anything illegal and have to be looking out for the cops.

I also find it interesting people are still confused how Google makes money. This article explains it correctly:

http://www.channel4.com/news/if-google-is-free-how-does-it-make-so-much-money

In other words Google makes money from clicks in ads, and targeted ads that come from what you provided them. Give them fake info and you get ads relevant to the fake info. Give real info and you get ads based on what you search, buy and look at. Which helps the millions of average consumers.

I also want to say that making Google secure for private usage is way too easy but that is too long winded.

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app

sumton

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
1- too arrogant to support WP why should i support them
2- they have nothing interest me except for youtube
3- i don't like most of their services / OS UI
4- they aren't creative enough to deserve my support
5- i tried to use their services i don't feel comfortable when i use it
6- F.google :cool:

maclancer

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
The only thing I don't like about Google is their hate to Microsoft. I never understood that and the monopolistic tactics that they use to not embrace WP and only supporting their ecosystem and iOS like there is nothing more out than these two platforms. I wish they didn't own YouTube but I watch too many videos in there. I also use Gmail as junk but my primary one is outlook.com

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wopkof