Being deployed, which Windows phone should I take with me?

Richard_Indy

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
My daily driver is a L1520. I have a backup L920 and a L520. My Last deployment, I went through two digital cameras because of the sand. I purchased a fake iPhone and purchased prepaid Sims when I could. I understand one limitation to the L1520 would be its nano SIM card, so it should stay home for two reasons: (1) I keep it in exceptional shape plus, (2) getting a nano sim in places where ill be would probably be difficult at best. One thing going for the L520 is the micro SD could be used to store alot of games and such however, the L920 would be my goto camera. What do you all think?

Richard_Indy

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I am also taking my SP3 i5 with me to mainly be able to Skype if/when I can. I'm an IT guy in my civilian life. I currently have a 64gb SD card in it but plan on having a 128gb stick in it to maximize my storage of pics and such. I have deployed before so having the light and slim SP3 will be nice. I had two laptops and a two cameras last time so....

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
that's a good question... why not the 520 since you could hold a lot more than the 920. besides you can always buy another 520 if it gets trashed. while the 920 is cheep now I would try to keep it in good shape.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
How long will you be deployed for? I would highly suggest you sell the 1520 to get the maximum value for it now, then when you get back just buy the latest and greatest. The 920 is a tank, plus it is a 2 year old phone and has a great camera in it :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ShinraCorp

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
How long will you be deployed for? I would highly suggest you sell the 1520 to get the maximum value for it now, then when you get back just buy the latest and greatest. The 920 is a tank, plus it is a 2 year old phone and has a great camera in it :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A tank? Pfffft understatement, mine survived getting hit by a concrete floor with only a small dent on the case, that's without the cover.... With the cover I'd be afraid of the concrete floor cracking :p

Richard_Indy

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm leaning towards taking the 920. Only thing is its limited to 32gb of storage but if I have my SP3 with me, I'll be able to download pics and vids onto it. I plan on upgrading my SP3's 64gb SD card to a 128 to maximize my available space. I will be in country for 6 months. My L1520 will probably go onto hibernation while I'm gone. My wife currently has a L920 but before I leave she might be able to upgrade to the latest. What ever that may be.

Nerdy Woman

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
I'm leaning towards taking the 920. Only thing is its limited to 32gb of storage but if I have my SP3 with me, I'll be able to download pics and vids onto it. I plan on upgrading my SP3's 64gb SD card to a 128 to maximize my available space. I will be in country for 6 months. My L1520 will probably go onto hibernation while I'm gone. My wife currently has a L920 but before I leave she might be able to upgrade to the latest. What ever that may be.

Will you have access to WiFi? If so, your pics and videos can enjoy a permanent place on your OneDrive and be d/l'd to the phone or SP3 for viewing, while pics and videos you take can be uploaded and shared with family from there. OneDrive is great for setting up a shared folder that allows pics to be tagged and viewers to comment on them, plus you won't have to worry about anything being lost, even if your hardware gets damaged.

I have a 920 and the front-facing camera actually makes it great for skyping. I like being able to move about while I'm skyping with my mom. The only downside being unable to screen share while we're talking... Try it before you go. You might like it. :D

I would suggest uninstalling games you don't play and apps you won't need while you're away, particularly those that insist on running in the background, to maximize storage and battery life.

Richard_Indy

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Good advice for sure. I will be utilizing 300gb of OneDrive space as much as possible at wifi hotspots on base and/or bases I may or may not be at. I have a Xbox One and have shared my OneDrive on there so my immediate family will be able to see pics and such fairly easy and fairly quickly after upload them via wifi.

Richard_Indy

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
that's a good question... why not the 520 since you could hold a lot more than the 920. besides you can always buy another 520 if it gets trashed. while the 920 is cheep now I would try to keep it in good shape.

The 920 has an infinitely better camera on it than the 520 for one. The L920's Flash for another reason.

Nerdy Woman

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Good advice for sure. I will be utilizing 300gb of OneDrive space as much as possible at wifi hotspots on base and/or bases I may or may not be at. I have a Xbox One and have shared my OneDrive on there so my immediate family will be able to see pics and such fairly easy and fairly quickly after upload them via wifi.

If you snag Office 365 Home before you go, you'll have 1 TB for each of 5 users + 60 global Skype minutes every month... And if you're military, you can get that for $70/year. You won't have to think twice about backing up your entire SP3 system. :D

Office 365

BTW, if you've got that shared folder on OneDrive, share the link with extended family too!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6