iPad now featuring Windows 8 multitasking!

Witness

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Decided to check out the WWDC liveblog and saw the announcement for multitasking on an iPad Air 2 (no support for previous models). What's next, Live Tiles??!! :winktongue:

iPad.jpg

Mike Majeski

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Man, what will Apple invent next!!?!?!

Maybe next they will make the Launchpad the default start screen in OSX, you know instead of the old desktop view.

Mike Majeski

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Feels like a lot of WWDC this year is bringing things that have been in Android and Windows for years to iOS...Siri is getting an upgrade that will give it similar capabilities to Google Now and Cortana (except I haven't seen Cortana mentioned in a SINGLE article today). Multitasking ala Samsung and LG and Windows (again, left out of most releases).
I get annoyed by the "omg they copied..." type arguments, but it does get pretty annoying to hear all the Apple fans rant and rave about how new and innovative iOS 9 will be ("OMG! Siri can remind me to go to the store when I leave my house, what will Apple think of next!?!?!"), when really it just brings the product up to par with what Google and Microsoft released last year. Siri's performance was embarrassing. It will be interesting to see if these updates help or not.

CJ Thunder

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
To respond to the main point.
Good. Now that apps are on WX and can be ported from IOS. This will just get us more apps as these screen sizes, variations, and behaviors will make it that much more compelling to just bring it to Windows.

MS is now the 90s Apple, and vice versa. That's just the tech world. **** can flip in a few years.

Witness

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
So what's the problem? In fact they went one better: "But Apple's implementation goes even further, for example with picture-in-picture support." Apple announces iOS 9, introducing better multitasking and more 'intelligence'. So not blindly copying, they actually thought of how they could improve things. Unlike Microsoft whose idea of an improved OS is to add a hamburger menu.....

Problem? Who wrote anything about a problem? All innovations will eventually be adopted. It was interesting to see that the oft-criticized Windows 8 had something Apple wanted.

2017 WWDC prediction: iOS 11 supports touchscreens! :grin:

Edit: PiP is hardly groundbreaking, but of course everyone will always try to improve upon an idea wherever it came from. That's just the way it goes. As for the Hamburger menu, I think that had more to do with changing the menu system to something that everyone is familiar with (Android, iOS) as MS tries to attract developers in porting their apps easily to Windows 10.

Last edited:

Jaredallister

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
Problem? Who wrote anything about a problem? All innovations will eventually be adopted. It was interesting to see that the oft-criticized Windows 8 had something Apple wanted.

2017 WWDC prediction: iOS 11 supports touchscreens! :grin:

Edit: PiP is hardly groundbreaking, but of course everyone will always try to improve upon an idea wherever it came from. That's just the way it goes. As for the Hamburger menu, I think that had more to do with changing the menu system to something that everyone is familiar with (Android, iOS) as MS tries to attract developers in porting their apps easily to Windows 10.

iOS has support touch screen since it was created in 2007...

Jaredallister

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
1) He clearly meant OS X.
2) I'm pretty sure (read: positive) touch screens existed prior to 2007 and were not invented by Apple.

I don't recall saying Apple invented touch screen, I specifically said that touch screen excited on iOS since it was created in 2007, never once did I say Apple invented the touchscreen.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
1) He clearly meant OS X.
2) I'm pretty sure (read: positive) touch screens existed prior to 2007 and were not invented by Apple.

Yeah, I still have an old PDA from 2006 that I use for a few things. It has a touch screen. 48MB Storage and 16MB RAM on it, too! Wait... 16MB RAM? HAHAHAH! Yeah, that's why I don't complain about 512MB RAM and 8GB Storage Lumia 635. ;)

EssThree

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
I also noticed that hamburgers are out and three-dot buttons are in. Another Apple invention! lol

In all seriousness though, this saddens me since MS is going in the other direction :/

Tsang Fai

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
To be honest, it is a feature that a tablet was supposed to support. Microsoft is just trying its best to maximize the possibilities of a tablet, while Apple to maximize its profit but undermining the capabilities of their iPads.

And this is just one of the features that truly make a tablet a productive device. In terms of functionality and productivity, iPad still has a long way to catch up with Windows tablets. And the intrinsic framework of iOS has quite many limitations for iPad to be as powerful as Windows, unless Apple makes a big structural change to iOS (i.e. supports a file system, supports external storage, supports mouse & stylus, etc) or even allows iPad to run MacOS (which I think Apple will never do this, because it will hurt their MacBook sales a lot).

Mike Majeski

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Still think in terms of sheer productivity the Surface is winning the tablet / 2in1 battle. Yesterday I was working on my Surface Pro 3 with my keyboard (IE laptop mode), then plugged it into an external monitory to watch some videos (desktop mode) and then later read a book before bed (tablet mode). One device to do the job of 3.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
To be honest, it is a feature that a tablet was supposed to support. Microsoft is just trying its best to maximize the possibilities of a tablet, while Apple to maximize its profit but undermining the capabilities of their iPads.

And this is just one of the features that truly make a tablet a productive device. In terms of functionality and productivity, iPad still has a long way to catch up with Windows tablets. And the intrinsic framework of iOS has quite many limitations for iPad to be as powerful as Windows, unless Apple makes a big structural change to iOS (i.e. supports a file system, supports external storage, supports mouse & stylus, etc) or even allows iPad to run MacOS (which I think Apple will never do this, because it will hurt their MacBook sales a lot).

Ding Ding Ding! You win!

Seriously, though, spot on. It's a difference in how Apple and Microsoft conduct business right now.

Apple, on the one hand, wants you full-on into their ecosystem. Each product for a separate use, and you need all products to make use of everything. More money for them. It's all about cross selling the hardware so you have a Desktop, MacBook, iPad, iPhone, and Apple Watch. One product is not supposed to infringe upon the functionality of another in any real meaningful way. This is how they make money... selling you the multiple types of hardware.

Microsoft, on the other hand, sells you their service. Windows. Office. Skype. Bing. OneDrive. Azure Cloud Services. Microsoft makes a very small portion from their hardware, so they concentrate on Cloud and services. That's where they rake in the money. So it's no problem for Microsoft to sell you a phone that is so powerful it can hook up to a monitor, mouse, and keyboard to replace your laptop and desktop. No problem for Microsoft to sell a phone large enough you don't need a tablet.

It was only when Apple realized they were losing ground in the mobile market that they decided to create an iPhone with a larger screen to compete with the phablets on the market. Samsung was kicking their ... ah... hind quarters in that respect. Apple always stated that no one needed or wanted a phone that big. They didn't want to make it because they knew it would cut into their iPad sales, but the Samsung phablets were already doing just that. They made the iPhone 6+ to keep from becoming irrelevant.

They also have kept the iPad dumbed down to keep it from cutting into MacBook sales. However, again, with the market pushing for higher end tablets and due to Microsoft's success with products like the Surface line, Apple doesn't have any choice but to follow suit and make their offering a bit more powerful.

Apple is just struggling to stay relevant. Are they "currently struggling?" Certainly not by any stretch of the imagination. However, Apple can see the trends and realize that if they don't adapt quickly they will be left behind within the next 5 years.

Something like Windows 10 with Continuum on a phone is something that flies in the face of everything Apple has accomplished by keeping different types of hardware separated. Apple must adapt, and I'm sure they are working on doing just that. There is much more planned that has yet to be seen to improve upon the Apple line. Plans to keep them not just afloat, but to try to keep that pristine image of "best quality product" in front of the media for the long run. Notice I stated "image" of best quality product, not that they are the best quality. Whether or not they are best quality is a matter of opinion for many, one which I do not intend to debate at this time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes