Ali El

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
Just finished working on a project and wanted to say hello to the community. It's been a while since I kept in touch with wpcentral. What's up guys?

lol just kinda bored and nothing to do lately...

What have you guys and girls been up to? what's new? just saying hello:grin:

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Well, Hello, Ali!

What project have you been up to?

As for the community, looks like almost everyone is busy playing around with or preparing for the arrival of Windows 10.:cool:

nTrud3r

May 2, 2015
Visit site
Well, Hello, Ali!

What project have you been up to?

As for the community, looks like almost everyone is busy playing around with or preparing for the arrival of Windows 10.:cool:

I know I am. I can hardly sleep knowing that Windows 10 will be out in a few days! :D

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Yup, though it seems that the first ones who'll (rightfully) be receiving the update are those who participated in the Technical Preview Program, so while Windows 10 may be officially out by July 29 not all of us will receive the said update on that same date - probably in a few weeks following that is realistic.

nTrud3r

May 2, 2015
Visit site
Yup, though it seems that the first ones who'll (rightfully) be receiving the update are those who participated in the Technical Preview Program, so while Windows 10 may be officially out by July 29 not all of us will receive the said update on that same date - probably in a few weeks following that is realistic.

So, you're saying that if i use the same email address in the GWX.exe program that I also used with the Technical Preview, will I get it on the 29th? I'm on Windows 7.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
So, you're saying that if i use the same email address in the GWX.exe program that I also used with the Technical Preview, will I get it on the 29th? I'm on Windows 7.

Hmm, no; I haven't registered/participated in the Technical Preview program so I don't know the specifics (using the same email addresses, etc. but what you've said sounds logical - other users may verify this for us). But my remark is based on an email I received from Microsoft since I've reserved a copy of Windows 10 for my PC and their FAQ page.

Ali El

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
I replied but my replies aren't showing. Yeah w10 is super exciting. @gpobernardo I got an infraction for replying to you about the project I am working on. (I'm not sure what means. Message me, I think I can tell you there... I hope lol)

I got the update for w10 and I've got no complaints �� but weirdly enough my brother's laptop didn't get it. I guess you're right about the rollout process. It makes sense!

Ali El

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
What gets me is how did they get Cortana to hear you even in a noisy room... That's awesome. If only I had a Xbox one... You know... I have to test :p

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I replied but my replies aren't showing. Yeah w10 is super exciting. @gpobernardo I got an infraction for replying to you about the project I am working on. (I'm not sure what means. Message me, I think I can tell you there... I hope lol)

I got the update for w10 and I've got no complaints �� but weirdly enough my brother's laptop didn't get it. I guess you're right about the rollout process. It makes sense!

Hmmm, if your project was an app, you could post it in the App Spotlight section - surely it will get more attention there.:wink:

There's a way to manually "force" a qualified Windows PC to update to Windows 10 now: enter "wuauclt.exe /updatenow" in command prompt - that should start the update process. If not all files have been downloaded into the PC yet, that will initiate the downloading of the remaining files.

I'm guessing Cortana can "hear" us even in a noisy room through the noise-cancelling feature of phones or a device using a secondary microphone to filter out the noise from the user's voice.:cool:

Ali El

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
Hmmm, if your project was an app, you could post it in the App Spotlight section - surely it will get more attention there.:wink:

There's a way to manually "force" a qualified Windows PC to update to Windows 10 now: enter "wuauclt.exe /updatenow" in command prompt - that should start the update process. If not all files have been downloaded into the PC yet, that will initiate the downloading of the remaining files.

I'm guessing Cortana can "hear" us even in a noisy room through the noise-cancelling feature of phones or a device using a secondary microphone to filter out the noise from the user's voice.:cool:

Thanks for that. I'll try the hack. I can't post it in app spotlight yet, we are finalizing a few things :)

Damn that's smart. Any word on when windows 10 mobile is set to release? I'm not sure I can contain myself... Haha

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
According to the Microsoft FAQ Page, they are working with "partners" such that Windows 10 Mobile can be released towards the end of the year - but I'd give or take a month or two from, say, December 2015.

Ali El

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
Thanks. Why is it so far apart? Do you think this is a strategic move? To give each platform release it's fair share of the spotlight or development differences?

But this is good for devs tho. They can still support 8.1 while learning and developing for the next platform and have their apps ready for then... Hmmm

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Hmmm, I wouldn't exactly know the exact and real reasons for the delay - it could be strategic (intentional) or consequential (unintentional), but that matter itself may merit an entirely separate article. However, we've got a number of Windows Central articles on Windows 10 and I believe some insights can be taken from them on the matter.:smile:

I think I've read somewhere the Microsoft is sort of leveraging on the fact that they have a very huge user pool in terms of PCs. Having Windows 10 on PCs first may encourage developers to create apps for PCs first knowing in their minds that their apps will be available to that huge user pool. This is also related to bringing Android app developers to develop apps for Windows 10.

Then again, I think you've nailed it by what you've said from a developer's perspective. Developers who may want to focus on phone apps may have enough time to polish their apps before Windows 10 Mobile arrives. :cool:

Ali El

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
As a developer I don't know why but PC (or desktop) development isn't all that attractive. I wont lie but windows 10 does really invite me to build universal apps, and since I can deploy to any platform, why not. But that still doesn't give me that push to develop for PC. Now I can speak for myself here, when I think if PC development I think huge bloated, and heavy software compared to the lightweight feel of smartphone development. Even tablet development I ask why too. But that's just my narrow minded approach. I do push myself to explore other platforms but that's what is at the back of my mind sometimes. So maybe that's what other devs are feeling too? For example if I am making a "snap chat" of some sorts, PC is not even remotely near my thoughts.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Hmm, not sure if what I'll be typing in the following lines would help, but coming from a Windows Phone experience for almost three years (from Windows Phone 7), I have been accustomed to the "app gap" (although we won't go into a discussion about that - there have been heated forums about that here already :wink:). But now that I'm in Windows 10 in my PC, the first time I checked the store I was surprised (or shocked, appalled, or something in between) to see that most of the apps for my Windows Phone aren't available for my PC. If the "gap" isn't "real" for phones, it would be more evident for Windows 10 PC (at least for now).

Being one of the first to develop apps for Windows 10 PC should give the developer the chance to establish his or her reputation and give his or her app the needed exposure. Add that to the fact that the user pool for PCs is quite large.

At any rate, hope to see you around in the forums - perhaps as well as your apps in our Apps Corner. :cool:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes