101 uses for an abandoned Windows Mobile Device:

TKAtlanta

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site
What can you do with your MS abandoned 950xl or other W10M device?

1. Spoonrest
  2. Door Stopper
  3. Projector Leveler
  4. Drink Coaster
What other ways can we use these bricks?

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

1. Spoonrest
  2. Door Stopper
  3. Projector Leveler
  4. Drink Coaster
I use my work issued iOS device for all these things already, so...I guess I'm left to use my 950XL to listen to music, take pictures and browse the internet...

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
I put my old 920 in my shirt pocket.... If someone shoots me, it can become my bullet proof vest and stop bullets..

... !

G4Grandad

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I use my L830 for everything I've always used it for, even though it isn't dependable enough to trust as my main phone these days. It's always a joy to pick it up and see that beautiful start screen, and then enjoy the ease and simplicity of opening and using all the apps on it. Sadly the screen has blacked out 3 times already while typing this reply which is why I can't trust it as my main phone. That is now a Sony Xperia X which is a great alternative with tap to wake and sleep, camera button etc. But it's still second best and I would've bought a new Windows Phone in a heart beat if they were available and supported.
Also, as I'm in the UK, I've got the phone unlocked and put an O2 network sim with £10 credit on it. The network has an app called Priority that's in the Windows Store. It offers all kinds of freebies and useful treats for free or heavily discounted. This will mean the phone will continue to repay my investment in Windows Phone until it eventually does die. Five screen blackouts now while typing this!

Last edited:

anon(7929613)

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
I use WP8.1 apps to navigate (HERE maps), book cabs (OLA), read books (Bookviser reader), watch my YouTube subscriptions (myTube), listen to Podcasts (default podcast app), manage back account (ICICI bank - iMobile app), book movie tickets (BookMyShow app), read feeds (NextGen Reader), eWallet (PayTm) and play games (Stick Cricket, Flick2Shoot, InsideOut, FlowFree etc) besides normal stuff like WhatsApp, messaging and calling. Not suffering from the "app gap" problem that has destroyed the entire OS. May be because I live in India.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
In the spirit of the OP, who I understand was not trying to get people to defend their beloved Windows Mobile devices and take all this too seriously, I use mine in areas of high crime because I know no one would steal it.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I use them to play the Xbox games on WP. Except for the Nokia 1020 which I continue to use as a camera because it's still way better than any other smartphone (and I shoot RAW so it's not like I care about HDR etc).

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site

1. Spoonrest
  2. Door Stopper
  3. Projector Leveler
  4. Drink Coaster

Continue using them?

I still use my L930 and L920, my L930 is a daily driver and the L920 is an emergency loaner device. It can run apps corner and apps still so I just have it ready with a few games incase my smartphone addicted little cousins need a smartphone to play with.

In regards to my L930, I can't send any SMS anymore... I guess the Skype team is exacting their vengence due to my rathery honest reviews :grincry:. What else is a person to do other than be honest about their product experiences so said product could be improved upon... not regressed as it is the case with Skype. Which really has gone down... the pan and I doubt Captain hook would ever entertain the notion of engaging said 'pan'... lol.

Beyond the recent SMS issue, noticed today as I rarely send SMS... and bar some camera issues and issues introduced by recent un optimised updates My L930 is chugging along rather okay. Although it appears someone thought it would be funny, if we experienced the same level of aggravation with the auto correct experienced by ios users.

For example, I'm typing a message to a relative and I'd type "Yo Bro!" it would correct it to "You Bra"... FML.

But it's not always that hilarious it correct "Loool you joker" to "look you joker", which has serious conotations given the context a person has made a utter fool of themselves and it would immediately put them on the back foot. Whereas the former just brushes it aside and defuses a potential volatile situation and we all continue on cracking jokes as if nothing happened.

Lingustics plays a cruicial role everywhere - even with text messages, sadly though most people do not comprehend the power of words on a screen.

Since I have a habit of spell checking and I caught it. However it could have caused an argument to flare up unnecessarliy as the other person's wishes to save the last shred of intellectual dignity after severly back tracking once proven wrong in their presumption and had admitted they were wrong.

So yeah... if you're using a older device not on the official feature 2 update branch, be weary about the auto correct :grincry:.

nrwood

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site
I'm using my 640 XL as my main phone, and my 520 as a music player when I take the bus or go walking, as DJCBS says, I would prefer someone to steal that than my main phone.

Biff Henderson

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
I'm still using my HTC Windows Phone. It works fine and meets my needs. I hate to have to move to the Apple platform. Yuck. Android is the wild west. No thanks. Windows pure.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett