Optimising Skydrive for backups

laurence6202

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I am wondering how best to use Skydrive as a backup system.

A number of files I use are Excel and Word files where one can save considerable space (and bandwith) by zipping them. At the moment I have two important Excel sheets that on closing them a zipped copy is saved to the Skydrive folder will will then be updated to the cloud (happens automatically using VBA). Now if one zips a whole folder and copies it to Skydrive, then anytime just one file in the folder changes, then the whole folder needs to be rezipped, copied to Skydrive folder and from there to the cloud.

Back in the old days when I did backups to a CD I used a program like Backup2001 which used a system of Full, Incremental and Differential backups. Later I used an external hard drive with its own backup software. With a hard drive space becomes less of an issue - I just used the software that came with the unit. Until the external HD was stolen - I suspect the thieves thought the HD was a cellphone. Now I realise external HDs are not as secure as one would hope.

Nowadays with the cloud storage and bandwidth becoming more accessible, it makes sense to have zipped "in the cloud" copies of important files, and when any of these files are changed added or deleted the cloud version is updated, without having to reload whole folders.

Does anyone out there have ideas or links of how to make the process more efficient - ie: keep cloud storage and bandwidth to a minimum, but have a zipped cloud copy of ones important stuff.
--
Regards Laurence
Cell 0827663807
www.gromitconsulting.co.za

Chief_Adu

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Well, Microsoft Office has a built in feature to upload to SkyDrive directly. You don't have to zip or unzip every time. I would suggest to check MS13 (if that answers your question?)

Aniket Mhatre

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
sorry but i am not getting any related thread to post my doubt. i wanted to know how i can backup any of my games specially paid games?

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
So in a nutshell, if I've understood, what you're trying to ask is- how do I update an archive without reuploading the whole archive?

Can't be done. As someone mentioned, the new office supports directly editing the online documents.

I'm not convinced you save enough space and bandwidth to justify compressing text- you're talking about reducing the size of very insignificantly sized files here.

The best thing you could do is just not compress things you frequently access. Or only compress one file per archive.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre