One Drive Question: switching between personal/work accounts

alex346

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Hey everyone hows it going ?
Don't mind the spelling mistake in the title lol... have no clue how to edit it

I'm relatively new to windows phone.. only had it about a week now so still getting to know the os and apps... had a quick Quick questions regarding the one drive app, its a little different than what I was used to on the android version of the app....

When I first set up my phone I created a Microsoft account like it prompted me too and the issue im having with my one drive is that it has linked itself to my new personal microsoft account. What im wondering is how do I log out of that account and re sign into one drive using my one drive account that I have for work? Ive tried following the steps in the "help" section but to no avail. when i got to settings then account within the one drive app it does not give me and option to sign out??

Anyone have any tips for me?
Thanks in advance

alex346

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Hey,

Depending on how much content you have in your other OneDrive account it may well be easier just to upload it all to the new account and delete the old one.

I believe your OneDrive account is linked to your Microsoft account & the only way to change the Microsoft Account details is to do a hard reset. Simply put you should have only 1 Microsoft account which covers Outlook, OneDrive, Xbox etc.

Problem is my one drive that I use for work all the technicians who work for me also log into it daily as I store all of our programming and installation guides for several products in there as well as many other documents and forums that we need day to day ... so I wouldn't want to move all that stuff in to my personal one drive because I don't want all my techs having access to my personal document ... on the android one drive app I simply log off of one one drive account then log into the other .... so on the windows phone version of the app this is not possible ?

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
You'll have to go to the OneDrive web site with your phone and log in there. The Windows Phone 8 Onedrive app is built in and tied to the microsoft account that you set up your phone with. Good news is you can pin the web site shortcut to your start screen and easily log in with your work credentials there.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I thought about that yea... problem i cant uninstall it? when i got to my apps list and press and hold one drive the uninstall option isn't there like on the other apps?
Yep, you can't uninstall Onedrive. Its baked into the OS. See workaround above^^^

alex346

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
You'll have to go to the OneDrive web site with your phone and log in there. The Windows Phone 8 Onedrive app is built in and tied to the microsoft account that you set up your phone with. Good news is you can pin the web site shortcut to your start screen and easily log in with your work credentials there.

Ahh good idea .. guess I'll try that for a while ... hope the mobile website is as easy to operate and as fluid as the app

Thanks for the suggestion!

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Ahh good idea .. guess I'll try that for a while ... hope the mobile website is as easy to operate and as fluid as the app

It is. In fact, the mobile version of the site is near identical to the app.

And you're welcome! :)

k0de

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site

Try changing your Account aliases. On the website. Hope that works for you. Don't know what else you can try. Let us know if it worked.

alex346

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Ok so I tried out the mobile site and was able to log into my business one drive without any problems.. And just like you had mentioned the mobile site actually works very well! I am still have one issue though lol whenever I try to open a file I have stored on there be it a PDF an excel spreadsheet or a word document it wont actually open the document... It always just prompts me to re sign into OneDrive ... Any ideas ?

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Ok so I tried out the mobile site and was able to log into my business one drive without any problems.. And just like you had mentioned the mobile site actually works very well! I am still have one issue though lol whenever I try to open a file I have stored on there be it a PDF an excel spreadsheet or a word document it wont actually open the document... It always just prompts me to re sign into OneDrive ... Any ideas ?

Hmm, that's probably because it's trying to open the files on the device (your phone) tied to your personal Microsoft account. All the apps on your phone (Office etc) are also tied to your personal account, so even though you log into the OneDrive site with your work credentials, you'll probably have to enter your personal (the phone's) MS account to open the files on the device itself.

alex346

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Hmm, that's probably because it's trying to open the files on the device (your phone) tied to your personal Microsoft account. All the apps on your phone (Office etc) are also tied to your personal account, so even though you log into the OneDrive site with your work credentials, you'll probably have to enter your personal (the phone's) MS account to open the files on the device itself.

Just gave that a shot but no luck ... when I sign in with my personal account it sais "this file may no longer exist" and promptly signs me into my personal account not business one ... it's to bad too cause I could have totally used the mobile site as the solution ... hopefully in a future update they will put the option in the app to sign out of the account your in just like the android onedrive app allows you to do ...

I'll keep playing around with it and maybe find a work around thanks for all the suggestions though !

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Hmm, well I guess an alternative would be to set your phone up with your work MS account instead of your personal. This of course would require a hard reset... or.. You could always carry two devices; one for work and one for play. :) (judging by your signature, you're already doing this..)

JaiMento

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Why not share the necessary folder from your work account to your personal account? Then, when you open the OneDrive app, just swipe over, and you can get a separated list of all your shared folders?

Otherwise, you can get something like Pocket File Manager, that will give you access to multiple OneDrive accounts simultaneously.

alex346

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Hmm, well I guess an alternative would be to set your phone up with your work MS account instead of your personal. This of course would require a hard reset... or.. You could always carry two devices; one for work and one for play. :) (judging by your signature, you're already doing this..)

Lol yep I've got 2 phones at the moment... Just picked up my 1020 about a week ago and I didn't want to get rid of my note 3 just yet.... Eventually I may get rid of one ... I'm really liking windows phone more than I thought I would so I'm gonna use this 1020 for a good while before making a final decision ... Not to mention the camera on this thing is unreal ... Only downfall so far i must say is the app situation ... Way more available on android and I find that the android version of the apps are much better then the windows phones versions ... But ... I'm not to concerned about it I assume as the platform grows so will the app catalogue and quality.

alex346

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Why not share the necessary folder from your work account to your personal account? Then, when you open the OneDrive app, just swipe over, and you can get a separated list of all your shared folders?

Otherwise, you can get something like Pocket File Manager, that will give you access to multiple OneDrive accounts simultaneously.

That would totally work! I didn't even know you could share folders from one OneDrive account to another...I'm gonna do a quick search to see how that's done!

Thanks again everyone ... Super helpful!

Cleavitt76

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Ideally you wouldn't have separate accounts to begin with. You would just share out certain folders to other people and vice versa. However, two accounts with some shared folders may be useful in your situation since it sounds like there is a lit of business stuff being shared.

JaiMento

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
That would totally work! I didn't even know you could share folders from one OneDrive account to another...I'm gonna do a quick search to see how that's done!

Thanks again everyone ... Super helpful!

NP. Ideally, this is what you should have done with your work OneDrive account, instead of giving everyone access to it. Just sharing the necessary folders with everyone.

Edit: You could even create a group for all employees, allowing them to access a shared storage and calendar and so forth.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos