BEWARE - OneDrive keeps moving files to recycle bin by itself!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigsro

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Recycle Bin seems to be behaving for me for now but my lord am I having some issues creating and using Albums within both my W10 950XL and Surface 3.

My daughter is 4 weeks old and I've been taking hundreds of pictures. Trying to upload and manage these via the photos app is infuriating. Constant - 'Try again in a bit' messages when I try and upload a locally created Album, so I thought I'd use Onedrive (app and web interface) to create an Album.

I select say 20 photos to add to an album I created, add to album, the album refreshes...only 10 are actually showing. Rinse and repeat until all or most of the photos I want are there.

Recycle bin has some photos in it, not sure how. But just moving things around in Onedrive (into Albums) is plain awful and the W10 mobile app even throws up 'tooltips' such as CTRL+E to select all.

So unstable and a shockingly poor user experience.

alexncfc

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site
Can somebody explain why this is still happening?? I have just checked in my Recycle Bin (local on my laptop, Windows 10 version 1703) and found 40 random files which I hadn't deleted from my laptop or my OneDrive - I logged in to the OneDrive website and clicked on the online Recycle Bin in the website and sure enough, there were the files that were sat in my Recycle Bin on my Windows 10 install - 39 of them from one folder, 1 from another. I restored them and back they went.

They were apparently deleted on 15th May - but I know for absolute certain I did not delete these files.

This happened a few months back, with a random bunch of picture files. The trouble at that point was, they were all sat in my local Recycle Bin along with many many other non-OneDrive deleted files, and I couldn't restore them properly.

This is now getting to be a bit of a joke - if I hadn't looked in my local Recycle Bin tonight by chance, I would never have seen these had been deleted. Why is their service moving random files to the Recycle Bin? Have we heard anything from Microsoft on this yet??

eNerdTracey

Jun 7, 2017
Visit site
Sounds to me more like the $Recycle.Bin virus. Have you all looked into that yet? I just got that virus yesterday and it's moving all my current files into my Windows Recycle Bin without me doing anything. (google: $Recycle.Bin virus)

Texas_Night_Owl

Jul 15, 2017
Visit site
MS has been deleting my files since it was named SkyDrive and I believe it was still the Windows XP days. I lost thousands of files due to MS before I realized it.

Now I only keep files I want to sync with OneNote on my phone. Today I noticed that my PC has not been able to sync with those OneNote files in 2 weeks. Turns out MS decided all on its own to move my Office Live Documents folder into the E-Mail Attachments folder.

My suggestion is for people to buy the lifetime license to MS Office programs and ignore the subscriptions with 1 TB of data. I use Sync to get 500 MB of space for a year for $50 (unlike Dropbox, Sync cannot decrypt your data without knowing your password), then run CrashPlan so that it keeps documents forever.

Suppose if you must let MS destroy your data, you should at least get Crashplan and go into the settings to set retention to forever.

guiltygreen

Oct 4, 2017
Visit site
Hi guys, I made an account just to comment:
My Surfacebook / OneDrive is deleting ALL the files in my general Pictures folder on its own:

View attachment 137631

I noticed it yesterday, when I tried to find a music file I had JUST added (I use this folder as a general holding place for everything). The music file seemed to have completely disappeared, and it wasn't showing up in any of my other folders. I decided to check the Recycle Bin, just in case I had accidentally dragged and dropped it into the wrong folder, even though I was pretty sure I hadn't.

Bam, it was there... along with other files I swore I had also saved / placed into the Pictures folder. I started panicking, like, had I lost thousands of files without knowing? And emptying my Recycle bin without knowing these precious files were in there somehow? I'm about to bring it up to the Microsoft Support team, but I thought I'd check online to see if there were any other solutions.

I found the 'lost' files in both OneDrive, and the Recycle Bin.

I'm still figuring it out, but at least for me, I think:
OneDrive deletes the original copies off your PC, once it syncs (or "copies") the files to the OneDrive cloud.

It seems quite recent (I know my files were still in the Pictures folder a month ago).

If you check out my screenshot, the red sync error icon said something about having two, duplicate copies of the same file / same name, even though it's clear the entire folder was missing. That's how I figured out maybe they were all hidden somewhere... but only on OneDrive, and not on my PC anymore.

Will post back here if I have more updates, hope this helps someone else too. I have thousands of picture files in each folder (graphic designer, photography etc.), so it's hard for me to notice, let alone keep track of when files go missing.

I'm really glad you guys posted about this though, because I thought I was going crazy! Thanks!

anchinnk

Oct 15, 2017
Visit site
I was shocked to notice exactly the same behaviour in my OneDrive (it's now Oct 2017) as others were describing in 2015! I had never used OneDrive before because I don't trust ANY cloud system. But I was recommended to do so by a savvy IT man. I'm a translator and my past translations are cash in the bank for me if a customer comes along later with a revamped version of their operating instructions. I can reuse masses of the old texts. They are in OneDrive and suddenly, before just emptying the RB I checked (normally I don't) to see why it was 1 GB big. It contained masses of my reference files, ones that haven't changed for years, so there was no requirement to "update" anything. Yet another example of Microsoft's general attitude of "we don't care about you".

pkstree

Jun 16, 2018
Visit site
Did you guys by any chance delete the files on your local OneDrive folder on the PC? Cause stupidly, if you delete the files off your PC (since you already have them on the cloud), OneDrive takes it that you're deleting the files entirely.

Yes, I did this, and for this reason I really want to move to Mac with my next laptop upgrade (which unfortunately would be in a few years if at all due to not being rich/ having spare money).... I just hate this. Thank goodness that I had just backed up to my external hard drive and thank goodness ONedrive/evilmegamonster didn't think to delete those too as it was plugged into the usb drive at the time. Really really hate onedrive...rant over, for now

pkstree

Jun 16, 2018
Visit site
Yes, I did this, and for this reason I really want to move to Mac with my next laptop upgrade (which unfortunately would be in a few years if at all due to not being rich/ having spare money).... I just hate this. Thank goodness that I had just backed up to my external hard drive and thank goodness ONedrive/evilmegamonster didn't think to delete those too as it was plugged into the usb drive at the time. Really really hate onedrive...rant over, for now

Just to add Why Why Why does onedrive/evilmegamonster have to duplicate all the files on my laptop therefore taking up twice the harddrive space even when I have opted to not sync???????

Ivan Rovder

Jul 16, 2018
Visit site
It's still not solved - happened to me now; a couple gigs deleted last week, fortunately I could find and restore them them from OneDrive's bin. I suspect the files were deleted when I turned on my another PC wit OD sync last week. I cannot afford to lose my files so going to another cloud NOW (+ local backups of course).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes