How to : Sync OneDrive in Linux!

XToro

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
I realize there may be flames from posting Linux stuff on a Windows forum, but I use both, and I'm sure many others do to.

This is just to let people know that you can use OneDrive in Linux as well so that you don't have to boot back and forth just to upload or download from OneDrive! The Linux app to make this happen is called onedrive-d

Instructions on how to install can be found on these links:

Sync With OneDrive in Ubuntu Via OneDrive-D (Unofficial Client) | UbuntuHandbook

How to Sync OneDrive Files on the Ubuntu Desktop

These are Ubuntu instructions but I'm sure you can install it on any distro. I'm using Kubuntu 15.10 64-bit.

The instructions I posted show a GUI to set things up. When I installed it, there was no GUI, it was a bunch of questions through the command line, but the end result was the same including authorizing access through Microsoft's login. For ease of use, I created a folder in my Home folder called "OneDrive" and linked that to my OneDrive account.

Now once you've installed it, you have to make sure it runs at every bootup. In Kubuntu's control panel, it's in the "Startup and Shutdown" section. Just add "onedrive-d start". Make sure you have "start" after the application because this runs in the background as a daemon(Like a Windows Service). In the console you can also use commands "stop" and "status". The Startup and Shutdown screen here:
snapshot-onedrived1.png

Below is how it looks in the file manager:
snapshot-onedrivedA.png

I just downloaded a custom icon for the folder that has clouds on it. You can then also drag it into the left bar under "Places" so that it's always accessible everywhere.

Once it's all setup and the daemon is running, it maintains a sync between your OneDrive account and the folder you specified automatically. So when you add something to your OneDrive, it'll automatically download to your Linux folder, and vice-versa.

This has been very handy for me since I use both operating systems, and OneDrive has really helped me keep everything synced on all devices AND OSes.

If anyone has any questions I'll do my best to answer them.

Cheers!

BrandonTaylor5

May 16, 2015
Visit site
Sadly I think the project has been left for dead. The repository has moved to "onedrive-d-old", possibly indicating that it would have a new home, but when I visited the webpage to which the GitHub page referred, I only receive a 404 Not Found error.

UPDATE: Upon finagling with the URL, I've discovered that the project is now called "onedrived" (no dashes), but sadly I can now confirm that the project is dead. The project page says "No longer maintained."

Sorry, OneDrive lovers... Looks like you'll have to migrate to Dropbox or somewhere else.

Last edited:

philnc

Oct 31, 2016
Visit site
"Not dead yet", as they say. The onedrive-d project is dormant, but as often happens in open source, it has been forked: https://skilion.github.io/onedrive/. There is no gui in this fork, but there is a major improvement: it integrates with systemd as a user level service out of the box! Because this fork is also open source there's nothing to prevent its improvement by others, including a certain "mobile first, cloud first" company who has recently been declaring its love for Linux.

vhl71

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
"Not dead yet", as they say. The onedrive-d project is dormant, but as often happens in open source, it has been forked: https://skilion.github.io/onedrive/. There is no gui in this fork, but there is a major improvement: it integrates with systemd as a user level service out of the box! Because this fork is also open source there's nothing to prevent its improvement by others, including a certain "mobile first, cloud first" company who has recently been declaring its love for Linux.

With this, will my onedrive show up in nautilus to view and edit files?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa