OneDrive ate my OneNote, what do I do?

teddystiles

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
OneDrive Ate My OneNote

I've been using OneDrive and OneNote for years. It's been awesome, because I've never had to think about where my notes are. Just login on any given device and there they are.

Until today.

My wife and I shared a notebook on my OneDrive called "Family Room." I just went to it today, for the first time in a month or so, and it was gone. Six or so other notebooks are still there. Family Room has just vanished. I checked the Recycle Bin on OneDrive, but it wasn't there (but Notebooks never really show up in OneDrive, so I didn't expect it to be). I just refreshed my Surface Pro 4 and so it hadn't yet been open on it. Same goes for my phone - I updated it to Windows 10 Mobile about a month ago, and hadn't opened that particular notebook yet.

So if neither of us deleted it, where did it go?

Even though I had never opened that notebook since refreshing my Surface, it did show up as a "recent file" in the OneNote desktop app. When I click on it, it says "file not found" (with a long, convoluted OneDrive URL).

I have one small, niggling fear: this Notebook was initially created by the "Rooms" feature of Windows Phone 8. That feature was deprecated, but the "notes" aspect of it was just a shared OneNote notebook that obviously continued working. I can't imagine MS would aggressively delete notebooks simply because they were once associated with a deprecated feature, but you never know.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2