OneDrive sync - what if my PC fails?

anon(9683589)

Oct 13, 2015
Visit site
I have a Lenovo laptop running W10 and I'm trying to set up OneDrive for my docs and photos. As I understand it, the sync functionality will mean anything stored in the cloud will have a corresponding local copy on my hard drive...
All sounds great so far - however, what I'm concerned about is whether the cloud copy will disappear in the (unlikely!) event that my laptop breaks or I lose any files. In other words the sync will look for a local copy of a photo on my laptop, see that its not there and will then remove the cloud version.

Have I got this right? If so, seems like syncing between cloud and device is a bit of a risk.... ?

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
When setting up a new PC the sync will always bring the data down.

If you delete them from the local PC and the sync is still current, then yes, they would be deleted from the cloud.

Note however that there is a Recycle Bin in OneDrive in the cloud and deleted files get placed there for a while. Worse case you can undelete from there in the event that ever occurred.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I have a Lenovo laptop running W10 and I'm trying to set up OneDrive for my docs and photos. As I understand it, the sync functionality will mean anything stored in the cloud will have a corresponding local copy on my hard drive...
All sounds great so far - however, what I'm concerned about is whether the cloud copy will disappear in the (unlikely!) event that my laptop breaks or I lose any files. In other words the sync will look for a local copy of a photo on my laptop, see that its not there and will then remove the cloud version.

Have I got this right? If so, seems like syncing between cloud and device is a bit of a risk.... ?

you also have the option to not store items on the pc but just in onedrive only - selective sync

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism