OneDrive cloud space and local drive space

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

Currently my local drive holds a lot of info that syncs with OneDrive. I want to to save hard drive space. How can I use my Windows Explorer to drop files into OneDrive, have them upload and just create a pointer?

If copy and paste from my hard drive OneDrive folder, will the pointer be copied or the actual files. i.e. drop some files on to USB key.

Thanks,

Mr. V

DOGC_Kyle

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Assuming you're on Fall Creators Update (which is required for this), right-click and choose "Free up space". That will remove the file from your device, but keep the pointer/placeholder.

If you move the pointer/placeholder, it will move the file that it refers to. If you drop it onto a USB/local storage, it will download the actual file, not the pointer.

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Assuming you're on Fall Creators Update (which is required for this), right-click and choose "Free up space". That will remove the file from your device, but keep the pointer/placeholder.

If you move the pointer/placeholder, it will move the file that it refers to. If you drop it onto a USB/local storage, it will download the actual file, not the pointer.

hmmm....I don't see the 'free up space' option when I right click the OneDrive icon....could you send me a screen grab?

Thanks,

Mr. V

DOGC_Kyle

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Not the OneDrive icon, on the individual files/folders you want to make online-only.

If you want to move ALL files on online-only, right-click the main OneDrive folder. Otherwise you can choose individual file and folders, depending on what you use most often.

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Not the OneDrive icon, on the individual files/folders you want to make online-only.

If you want to move ALL files on online-only, right-click the main OneDrive folder. Otherwise you can choose individual file and folders, depending on what you use most often.

I right clicked on a folder on my desktop and I see this screen

OneDrive.png

But no free up space option....maybe I don't have the update?

Thanks for helping to guide me....#helpthestupid

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon