Wi-Fi Limited when waking up

killface0

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Hi! I have a DV8P and have noticed when I press the power button to wake it up and am at the lock screen, it shows my Wi-Fi being Limited. Then I log in and am still limited. I have to disconnect from my Wi-Fi, then reconnect and everything is fine. It's kind of an annoying extra step when I try to use my tablet. Any suggestions?

killface0

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
No. Everything is fine with all of my other devices. 2 laptops, wired Xbox One, 2 Windows Phones on Wi-Fi, Logitech UE Smart Radio. All ok. It's very strange.

Bo

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I think its something with windows 8 not waking the device correctly. I have the same issue in my SP1 and my laptop with windows 8 pro. I'm not sure if I'm getting this issue because my network is hidden, but last night I had to power cycle my dv8 and disable/enable my WiFi adapter for it to start working correctly after it had been in airplane mode for two days.

Bo

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Sorry, I must correct myself....i didn't start having WiFi problems until I upgraded to windows 8.1, Windows 8 worked fine for my without any issues.

meathead88

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm having the same issue but i think you're describing only the symptom...

The real issue is that the WiFi turns completely off when sleeping. I can see it drop from my router. So when wifi is compeltely off, it will take a sec or two to wake back up...

My Surface didnt do this, its wifi would got to a low power mode when sleeping...

I'll see if i can figure a solution(that doesnt kill battery)

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Try manually updating all the drivers from the Dell support page. I had to do it after updating to 8.1 and the tablet has been running without any issues.

Bo

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Try manually updating all the drivers from the Dell support page. I had to do it after updating to 8.1 and the tablet has been running without any issues.

I did that when the drivers became available and it helped a lot, but the issue still exists. Not as often as before but there are times when you have to run the troubleshooter or disable then re enable the device for it to start working correctly. Again, like I said earlier, this also happens on my surface pro and laptop wireless adapters after the 8.1 upgrade.

Kavu2

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Re-posted here 12/16/13
Just in case there are any late comers to this problem...

The fix from Microsoft (12/11/13):

Dell Venue Pro loses wireless connection after installing Windows - Microsoft Community

------------------------
This issue may occur if specific Windows Updates are not installed in the proper order. Microsoft has made a change to prevent further customers from getting into this state. Customers must now have a pre-requisite update (KB 2883200) installed before being offered these updates.To restore wireless connectivity:

1. Uninstall all of the following updates:

? KB 2887595 ? Windows RT 8.1, Windows 8.1, and Windows Server 2012 R2 update rollup: November 2013

? KB 2903939 ? Windows RT 8.1, Windows 8.1, and Windows Server 2012 R2 update rollup: December 2013

To uninstall an update, go to the Control Panel and select Programs. Then, under Programs and Features, select View installed updates. Select the updates listed above and click Uninstall. If you?re prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

2. Install the updates listed below. When you run Windows Update, the updates will now automatically be installed in the proper order. You must restart the computer after you apply each update.

? Install KB 2883200.

? Install KB 2887595 and KB 2903939.
-----------------------------

BaritoneGuy

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
I was lucky and caught all these in the correct order. Fully patched and everything seems to be working as expected.

Make sure all the Dell updates are applied as well.

Kavu2

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Try re-setting the WiFi Network adapter...
Disable the network device in device manager. (do not delete the driver files)
Scan for hardware changes should auto re-install the driver and WiFi should come back to life.

- In Desktop, go to 'Device Manager'... (search: Device Manager or tap window taskbar button-select 'Device Manager')
- Select double tap 'Network adapters'
- Select tap 'Dell Wireless 1538n802.11 a/g/n Adapter'
- Select tap 'Disable' (do not delete the driver files)
- Select tap 'Scan for Hardware changes'
- Restart, check WiFi

If that doesn't work, then a Restore back to Factory settings certainly will fix things. Make sure to install the Windows Update KB2883200 before KB2887595 and KB2903939. Restore options... at Start screen: right swipe |Settings | Change PC settings | Update and Recovery | Recovery

Plus get Dell updates including latest BIOS (A04)
Start screen...upswipe to App list | My Dell (app) | Drivers and Downloads

killface0

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I've been in communication with Dell support for over 2 weeks now. After having them take remote control of my tablet (didn't fix), a total system restore to factory settings(didn't fix), and them suggesting that I update my Touchpad Firmware(really?) they have decided to send me a new tablet. I even mentioned the procedure above about the Windows Updates, which didn't work.

Kavu2

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
>killface0
Sorry these solutions didn't help to resolve your wifi issues. The replaced tablet should get things back on track. I know for myself, the DV8P has been problem free aside from the badly procedured updates from MS. And tho I'm still learning the new(to me) W8.1 interface, the tablet is working well. My one concern is the faulty(up to this point) stylus. I did not buy one but had planned to...but am watching and waiting for stability and useability in the product from Dell. If it doesn't get better, I won't be buying it. And it will affect my wife's decision at corporate to perhaps integrate the tablets (and stylus) into the new electronic medical records system changeover.

A lot of people are watching....and waiting, to see if the new Dell can respond to the market with appropriate, reliable products in a timely manner. A chance at a makeover like this is a rare and fleeting event.

Good luck with your upcoming replacement tablet.

jgraves1107

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Ahh heck! I'm gonna get the pen and see if it really is an issue or just we have a habit of putting our hands to rest on the screen. I'm thinking u need to keep just the tip of the pen in play and make sure u don't touch the screen with the side of your hand.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes