Switching off the Windows button when on sleep?

devilfisch

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys! This is the first time I'm posting a thread here in WP Central so let's be friends!

Anyway, I just got a Dell Venue 11 Pro - a really nice machine, in my opinion - and it's been with me for at a week now. I don't have much complaints about it other than the meager 2GB of RAM and rather tiny 64GB of space... and the Windows button! I don't have a case (I do have a slip case to keep it safe in my bag), so when I walk around with it in my hand, the chances of me hitting the Windows button with my hand, fingers, arm, leg, or whatever can trigger the rather sensitive capacitive button is very high. This becomes quite annoying when I want to lock or put it to sleep. I sometimes get surprised to see the lockscreen or camera active by the time I want to use the tablet.

Does anyone know of a way to disable the Windows button while the tablet is locked or in sleep? Or is there any app that will make this happen? Is anyone else annoyed by this or am I the only one?

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Congrats on the choice, I have the 128GB i5 with 4GB ram. Plus a 128GB microSD card. But for the life of me, I don't know what button you are talking about. But then again, I always shut mine off. Takes a whole 20 seconds to boot up, so no problem restarting it.

devilfisch

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Nice. I bought the Atom version because I wanted a Windows tablet with a good battery life - this baby lasts a whole day or two depending on how much I use it and I don't even shut it down completely. It works well with the apps I need like Visual Studio and WebMatrix so it's not much of an issue. Too bad I can't play some games on it because of the limited RAM though. The space isn't much of a problem because it has USB and a microSD slot. Also I use OneDrive a lot too - I was lucky enough to grab a free 1 year 100GB when Microsoft offered it to a limited number of people when they switched the name from SkyDrive! ;)

Anyway, the button I mentioned was the Windows button on the bottom-front of the tablet. Since I usually keep it on sleep it when I don't need it, it really bugs me when I keep pressing it accidentally while it's in my hands. I expected it to work simply like the Windows key on a keyboard but it seems to be a wake button on this tablet as well. If I can't find a way to disable it on sleep, I guess I have no choice but to just get used to it.

Edit: After doing some tests on another PC, I noticed that waking up from sleep after the Windows key is pressed is actually normal behavior. Heck, any button on the keyboard will wake a sleeping PC, anyway. Maybe I would be able to disable the Windows key if I use a key-mapper application but doing so might disable the Windows key on my Bluetooth keyboard as well. I don't want that. Sigh. I guess I'll just have to live with it unless someone gives me a more elegant solution.

Last edited:

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, the i5 will consume juice alright. I got a keybord attachment that adds another battery to the mix, now I go for several days under moderate to light use.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes