Locating your phone

Necroscope

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
I search for this topic and could not find anything so I started a new thread.

Yesterday my daughter's friend lost her iPhone. She didn't have or know how to use the myPhone location services. It got me to thinking. I have never tried to use the location service for my WP7 so I decided to give it a try.

Getting to the location feature on the Windows Live website could have been a little easier, but I found it. The problem was that it could not find my phone. Despite keeping the location setting on the phone all the time, the best location I got was almost 12 hour old and the location was serveral sqaure miles.

My phone was on at the time, but it appears the location information was from when I last turned the phone on.

Does anyone know how the location service works? I thought that a signal would be sent to the phone that it could respond to that would report its' current location.

enahs555

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
It sends special hidden text messages to your phone, I believe.

It usually finds my phone pretty close; sometimes it fails but if I try it again a little later it works.

There is an option in the find my phone "Get results faster (may use more battery). Not sure what it does, except maybe update the location more often?
I have it turned on.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
It was able to give me an approximate location for my phone within about a minute. However, I wish it could find my phone down to the exact address. That way I can pay any would be thieves a visit. ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon