My View and my Persistent Problems

yly3

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
First of all I salute everyone, it's my first post in the forums :)

I've been a Day-1 WP7 follower, getting my HD7 on 3rd of November and immediately fell in love with the WP7 experience and flow. Just love it. However, while I expected the battery to be weak, I thought it would last me a full day which unfortunately did not and I was not even playing that much on it. After the Nokia announcement in February I was so excited, in fact a dream of mine came true, being a Nokia fan for years, WP7 software with Nokia hardware would be the best of both worlds.

So this news made me pull the trigger and sell my HD7 in first day of March and get a Nokia WP in November/December. I stilled missed my Windows Phone and the experience so eventually I started looking for some good deals and 2 days ago I got a neverlocked brand new 16 gigs Optimus 7 for 250$. Bargain to say the least. Btw, such an underrated phone ! The build quality is stunning ! It feels like an E71.

I am Yahoo! Mail user and I experienced the data leak and I thought that by now they solved it...unfortunately not.
And I was almost sure that I will get a better battery life with the LG. It had the 1500 mAh (allelujah) battery in a 3.8" vs the crap 1230 mAh in the 4.3" HD7 monster.
It's been my 3rd day with my LG and I already drained my 200MB data plan! WTF !
Do any of you experience these issues ? And I did not even browse the web ! I have only Yahoo Mail (60minutes sync interval), The Weather Channel, Flixster and CC Converter Pro to just display my currency as live tiles :(

About the battery I can't make a judgement yet, but things don't seem to look amazing.
In fact, do any of you pass the 1 day mark with medium usage and of course staying online all the time, because that's the purpose of Windows Phone, LIVE tiles ?

EDIT: I start to believe that it is actually an OS problem. I changed even the OEM, the NoDo update came out and most importantly I upgraded the battery.

enahs555

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I use a Samsung Focus and stream hours of music over 3G all the time, play games, and it last all day. I have push email on for 3 accounts. No problem.

yly3

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
That's good to know. the Focus has an even bigger screen. I don't know if it matters but I am in Europe on Orange.. I have a friend which works there but as a salesman, I don't know how much could he help or if he has any idea about WP whatsover.

At this rate, my phone could overpass my laptop data monthly consumption by large.

enahs555

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
It also has a AMOLED screen, which uses much less power (if you are using dark theme). Even on LCD screens dark theme uses less power.

Not sure why you are getting so much data usage?

dtboos

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
None of the current phones have the greatest battery, so I bet we'll see some this fall with higher capacity for their screensize.

However, my Focus lasts all day without issue unless I use it heavily. Charge it at night, its usually still got 1/3 battery showing.

starblade876

Jan 14, 2010
grrrinders.com
I have an HTC Arrive and it lasts at least a day on medium use. Did you change your email sync settings from the default? I made the mistake of changing one of mine to "Download emails from" "any time," instead of the default "the last 2 weeks." I actually have quite a few old emails, so I guess it was choking up or something and my battery couldn't last a day.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
My Surround will give me 4.5/5 hours of screen on time per charge. With screen on, I am mostly browsing, reading RSS, forums, videos, etc. So on busy days I have to charge but its understandable.

I sync three email accounts; push, 15min & 60 min. I have a Yahoo account (15min) and only use about 5MB daily of data. I do have WiFi on al the time, but data still runs in the background. I also have 10 live tiles updating all the time. Hard to imagine Yahoo used that much data. On February 16th, my data use went from an average of 35MB/day to the 5MB/day it is now, and has not changed. That's when Yahoo was corrected.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

gerrymad

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
I suspect you pulled down a lot of old emails on your first synchronization. From this point forward it should only be new emails. I would guess that your 2nd 3 days of using the phone will show a lot more reasonable usage.

yly3

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Thank you everyone for replying. My Yahoo sync was on default all the time "2 weeks old" setting. Unfortunately I cannot test the data until the next month since my data limit is finished and it would cost me too much.
About the battery I am not too happy at all. It's around 70% right now and the phone has basically stand-by-ed from 10 AM to 5PM, in just 7 hours.. I think I used the internet for a maximum of 15 minutes, called for 10 minutes at most and several text messages.

Reminds me of my HD 7 :( It's the 4th day, maybe the battery is not yet calibrated enough.

gerrymad

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
If your Yahoo mail was on 2 weeks sync that means you pulled 2 weeks of mail on the very first sync. Depending on how much mail you get this could be the reason you went through that much data in your first 3 days. Make sure you've got your mail in sync over WiFi before you again test your data next month otherwise you'll end up pulling down another 2 weeks of email all at once.

Reactions: ikkf

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
This is just my theory, but I believe WP needs a constant data connection to check for live tile updates, etc. So, if you have data turned off (because of your limit) you may actually be using some extra battery as your devices strains its neck trying to find a connection. WiFi turns off when your phone screen is off. I would suggest setting Yahoo to manually update when your next 200MB kicks in and only sync over WiFi for week or so. Then you might be able to figure out what is consuming your data and also determine if that's the cause of your battery usage.

I use my phone a bunch through the day at home, with WiFi on all the time. But if I go out for the day to a friends house, I will turn off WiFi and maybe only pull out my phone to show/take a few photos, show off the phone features and maybe do a search or two. After 8 hours, my phone will only be down 20-30%, so with light/medium use you should be able to get through a long day.

yly3

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
I had a long nap from 6pm up until 9:30pm (yes I was very tired) and forgot the phone connected to my home WiFi, it synced as normal, I didn't receive any mail in this period and the battery is right now at 35-40 %, so that is ~65% drop in 12 and 1/2 hours. One thing is for sure, I will be buying a Nokia X1-00 when it comes out lol.

Thankfully I need to sit around the house these days so I won't charge tonight and let it die tomorrow.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
WiFi will only remain on when plugged into a power source, AC or USB. When off charge, WiFi will turn off about 30 seconds after you power off your screen. This is done to save battery. When you wake your phone up you will see your WiFi icon reconnecting. Tested this out last November so its a little fuzzy, but I am almost certain that WiFi does not turn on in the background to update mail for example. So with your phone sleeping, like you, it should have used almost no energy (battery).

yly3

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
I thought about setting EDGE connection while I am not browsing, live tiles and mail don't really need HSDPA speeds, but last time I checked EDGE does not allow both calls and data in the same time, right ?

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Don't know. Wish I could try that on my Surround but no way to turn off 3G. Installed a homebrew toggle but it does not seem to be connected to anything. With WiFi on most of the time don't want to waste excess battery with a 1 bar 3G signal in the house.

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I thought about setting EDGE connection while I am not browsing, live tiles and mail don't really need HSDPA speeds, but last time I checked EDGE does not allow both calls and data in the same time, right ?
It does allow for both but while on a call the already slow edge speeds become a bit slower (at least until your done with the call obviously)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes