Went back to Android. I still like WP7 though.

condemned

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
First off, WP7 is a nice OS and I enjoyed my HD7 for the six months I've had it so far. But while I enjoyed it, there were a lot of things I missed from Android and once I heard about the Sensation 4G, I ordered it and havent looked back.

1. Homescreen - The homescreen for WP7 is nice with the live tiles but after a while it got boring. No customization at all. Live tiles just aren't as good as widgets IMO. The tiles just move around and while a few display information, they're just not as good as widgets. The tiles just are just sort of bland compared to icons and widgets.

2. Apps - Going by the apps I've used, they just don't compare to the ones on Android. The official WP7 Facebook app is terrible. It's slow, laggy and lacks some of the functionality I find with the Android one. Because of this I always found myself using the mobile version or People Hub. The YouTube app also sucks compared to the official one on Android. It's laggy and lacks some functionality. Also, apps on WP7 are a lot more expensive than on Android.

3. Battery life - The battery life is probably the worst I've seen on a phone. It can last a day if I barely use it but if I browse the web, utilize apps, or play games the battery drains fast. This isn't the case with my Sensation and it can last me a full day with much more use. This surprised me seeing as Android is more feature rich, especially with me leaving lots of widgets on my screen constantly pulling data. WP7 doesn't even offer full mulyitasking yet and isn't as 'heavy' as Android yet the battery life is bad.

4. Browser - The browser is good but I've noticed that after browsing for a while it starts to lag, freeze and then crash. I also don't like how the font on most sites are larger than others. It kind of affects the rendering which isn't a big deal to most. It sucks that Opera skipped out on WP7 because I like their browsers. I'm typing this from Opera Mini on my Sensation and it is just a better browser than IE on WP7 IMO. Opera is actually the best mobile browser imo.

Overall, those are my only real gripes with WP7. I found the OS to be a little boring compared to Android but that's just my opinion. It's still one of the best mobile platforms but Android is just for me.

Last edited:

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I can only say this, as far as applications go nothing touches WP7 for aethestic beauty. IMDB, IGN, BBC News Mobile, Prime TV, Weather Channel are unmatched. I personally love the eye candy and more than makes up for the paying a bit more for the quality. Functionality will probably be on par when Mango hits and all those juicy API's can be utilised.

As for battery life, thats all on HTC, the battery was inadequate when it was on the HD2 and its an insult they used it again in the HD7. Cheapskates.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Arrg! you treacherous swine. I shall slay you before sunset.

Enjoy Android and I hope you come back when the software matures enough. =)

condemned

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
I can only say this, as far as applications go nothing touches WP7 for aethestic beauty. IMDB, IGN, BBC News Mobile, Prime TV, Weather Channel are unmatched. I personally love the eye candy and more than makes up for the paying a bit more for the quality. Functionality will probably be on par when Mango hits and all those juicy API's can be utilised.

As for battery life, thats all on HTC, the battery was inadequate when it was on the HD2 and its an insult they used it again in the HD7. Cheapskates.

In my experience, Android apps have been superior to WP7 apps in both functionality and quality like I mentioned above with Facebook and YouTube.

I wouldn't necessarily blame HTC. I read. from many reviewers that reviewed the Focus saying its battery life wasn't good either. On top of that WP7 doesn't even multitask with 3rd party apps like Android, iOS, and BB do.

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
In my experience, Android apps have been superior to WP7 apps in both functionality and quality like I mentioned above with Facebook and YouTube.
Superior in functionality I can understand due to more APIs being available for Android currently. Quality is debatable, but aesthetics goes hands down to Windows Phone. YouTube app isn't Microsoft's fault its Google's for being anti-competitive *****es and not allowing unrestricted API access. Facebook... That one I do have to point the finger at Microsoft, with the changes coming in Mango it should improve performance.
I wouldn't necessarily blame HTC. I read. from many reviewers that reviewed the Focus saying its battery life wasn't good either. On top of that WP7 doesn't even multitask with 3rd party apps like Android, iOS, and BB do.
This one is definitely HTC's fault ever since taking the plunge into the sh!t fest that is Android their hardware innovativeness grinded to a screeching halt. As long as the their phones had the latest chipset they're fine with using the same sh!tty optics for cameras, they're fine with using the same phone but "cheapening up" the materials so to speak (HD2 > HD7). I even remember Winterfang I think it was, that said the Sensation looked a lot like the Mozart. That's some interesting "innovation" lol. Anyways even with the sh!tty battery bestowed upon my HD7, I've still gotten more battery than any Android phone I've ever owned. I've done a battery test on my HD7 and the highest end Android device I've ever owned (Droid) and got 12 hours with the droid and 20 hours with the HD7. For both of these tests I literally left the phone next to me while I played Mass Effect 2 and ignored all calls (which weren't very many anyways)

jtn05

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
Superior in functionality I can understand due to more APIs being available for Android currently. Quality is debatable, but aesthetics goes hands down to Windows Phone.

I agree. Aesthetics is something you can't even really debate. I remeber when I showed my co-worker(big Android fan) imdb on wp7 and his mouth just hit the floor lol.

Last edited:

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I agree. Functionality goes to Android but I feel like aesthetics is something you can't even really debate. I remeber when I showed my co-worker(big Android fan) imdb on wp7 and his mouth just hit the floor lol.
Yeah, I know, that's why I said aesthetics is hands down a Windows Phone thing. What I said was debatable is quality, it really varies from dev to dev on the quality of apps, especially cross-platform apps.

jtn05

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I know, that's why I said aesthetics is hands down a Windows Phone thing. What I said was debatable is quality, it really varies from dev to dev on the quality of apps, especially cross-platform apps.

my bad, didn't mean to repeat what you already said lol

BORIStheBLADE

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
I can totally understand..

I just came from an Android and the notifications is great to have, but I can live without it. I actually like the idea MS has with their phones.

My battery life with my HTC Trophy is actually better than my Droid incredible. I would say I get about 3-4 more hours out of it.

starblade876

Jan 14, 2010
grrrinders.com
Just to point out a little thing, "no customization at all" for the home screen is incorrect. Changing theme colors and being able to organize tiles = customization. Limited customization would be correct, but, really, can you widget every app in Android? Can you make double-wide icons? Can you change the color/picture of the icons? Like WP7, not without hacking. You get what they give you.

Like I've always said, though, none of the OSes are for everyone, so it's good that you gave it a try anyway and found something that fits you.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
There's customization from what I've seen. I didn't even know it was possible.

attachment.php

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Odd that I ran across this post. I have the Trophy and I just bought a used Droid X. I love WP7 and I love the Trophy. I just am going to keep it until one of two things happen. first is the release of a direct USB Outlook sync and the second is the Mango update.

My guess is number 1 won't happen since MS has invested in the cloud so heavily but I can still hope.

Rich Edmonds

PC Editor
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I made the move from Android to WP7 soon after the Omnia 7 launched in the UK. I was a massive Android fan (since I use Linux quite a lot desktop wise) and felt natural to use. After a while I began to get frustrated with being on a version of the OS which wasn't the latest. I think I was still on 1.5 when 2.2 came out.

Functionality is fantastic, but I need the smartphone to look good too. HTC has done well with their Sense UI, but compared to WP7, I want to use my phone less but remain efficient - something Microsoft has got correct (for once).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte