No more Samsung handsets???

Apoc

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Seem as though at the IFA 2011, Samsung has not showed or mention any new WP7 devices coming out. Kind of a sign, especially since this is one of the biggest shows and best time to show off any upcoming hardware to create the biggest buzz possible. So far, reports of Samsung only showing Android & Bada hardware at the show. Could Samsung really be that pissed off about the Nokia deal, even after Google bought Motorola? Hope this is not the case at all!

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I've always felt Nokia was the only WP7 OEM that would really do the platform justice. Maybe Sammy is feeling funky because of their recent victory over apple in the android infringement lawsuit. I dont know if Samsung realy has turned away from WP7 but it seems the only OEM you can safely say will be producing WP7 handsets is Nokia. And that is who will be making my next WP7 handset.

And you know, this is exactly why I would prefer MS to make their own handsets, this obviosly proves you cant put your trust in your OEM's to put your interests over their own. Samsung is obviously happy not showcasing WP7 at such a major event, should send a message to the powers that be in Redmond.

Last edited:

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm guessing Samsung isn't making any money off WP7 and decided to go with Android. But I'm sure there are a few Samsung WP7 devices coming. We've already seen the new 4.3" device that should be replacing the Focus. Also that I'm WP7 app has picked up a couple of devices.

dtboos

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
They aren't leaving the WP platform. I can all but guarantee it. They may be holding off the announcements for later this month.

Apoc

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
The Focus was the most successful wp7 device to date, as well as the Omnia 7 in the UK. Guess I'm freaking out, cause I love that SuperAMOLED screen-"Damn, it's beautiful!"

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
They aren't leaving the WP platform. I can all but guarantee it. They may be holding off the announcements for later this month.

Not sure what reason they would have to wait, are there any other trade shows coming up? MS has said there wont be one single launch, so if they arent planning any Mango launch event where else would be an appropriate place to announce their new WP7 handsets? If they are going to be talking about WP7 in secret whats the point?

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
The Focus was the most successful wp7 device to date, as well as the Omnia 7 in the UK. Guess I'm freaking out, cause I love that SuperAMOLED screen-"Damn, it's beautiful!"
I think i'd hate to go non Super Amoled now, I just love it, all other screens just seem meh!

(It has spoiled me) :)

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I think that Samsung only sees WP as a side experiment right now. They'll still throw is a bone every once in a while. But they're not making any real commitment.

It might be their attempt at leverage. They might want a better deal with MS, but they aren't willing to put in a Nokia kind of commitment to get it. So maybe they're threatening to take their ball and go home. Saying that they have Bada.

But Bada has the same challenges as MeeGo. Nothing surrounds it.

smartpatrol

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Relax, there are 3 upcoming Samsung WP7 devices that we know about. SGH-i937 (WP7 version of Galaxy S 2), Omnia W (3.7 inch screen mid-range phone), and a portrait QWERTY slider.

I'm a little bummed that they didn't show any of them off, though. I think what we need is Nokia to come give everybody a kick in the butt. There isn't much demand for WP7 because most people simply don't know about it. And manufacturers like Samsung are perfectly happy pushing Android instead, so they don't have to pay a licensing fee to MS.

Nokia, and the big marketing blitz they have planned, will be a breath of fresh air for the platform. Finally there will be someone pushing WP7 on ALL their devices, including their flagship.

Dagolara

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm wondering if it is more likely that they'll do a USA event for the roadmapped phone much like I think HTC will probably do.

GekkoAce

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
"Microsoft expects its upcoming "Mango" update to alter the game. For starters, the tweaked software platform offers some 500 new additions and features. Second, Microsoft has secured commitments from a number of manufacturers— ***including HTC, Samsung and LG Electronics***—to build a new generation of high-end Windows Phone devices preloaded with Mango. In theory, Microsoft’s partnership with Nokia, which has agreed to port Windows Phone onto all its smartphones, will also extend Redmond’s global reach." -eWeek.com
Microsoft's Windows Phone Optimism: Justified or Delusional? - Mobile and Wireless - News & Reviews - eWeek.com

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Relax, there are 3 upcoming Samsung WP7 devices that we know about. SGH-i937 (WP7 version of Galaxy S 2), Omnia W (3.7 inch screen mid-range phone), and a portrait QWERTY slider.

I'm a little bummed that they didn't show any of them off, though. I think what we need is Nokia to come give everybody a kick in the butt. There isn't much demand for WP7 because most people simply don't know about it. And manufacturers like Samsung are perfectly happy pushing Android instead, so they don't have to pay a licensing fee to MS.

Nokia, and the big marketing blitz they have planned, will be a breath of fresh air for the platform. Finally there will be someone pushing WP7 on ALL their devices, including their flagship.

Plans change, just ask Sony Ericsson. Samsung have had 2 high profile things happen recently, the release of their multiplatform chat client and their IFA event. None of these occurrences mentioned WP7 in any way, and one has to wonder why, especially with the chat client. They brought it to all platforms the make hardware for except WP7, and included an ios client. With them having the Mango RTM there is no excuse for them not having a WP7 client. These actions dont sound to me like a partner who is interested in WP7's success or survival.

Apoc

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Plans change, just ask Sony Ericsson. Samsung have had 2 high profile things happen recently, the release of their multiplatform chat client and their IFA event. None of these occurrences mentioned WP7 in any way, and one has to wonder why, especially with the chat client. They brought it to all platforms the make hardware for except WP7, and included an ios client. With them having the Mango RTM there is no excuse for them not having a WP7 client. These actions dont sound to me like a partner who is interested in WP7's success or survival.

I noticed the same thing as well, when they announced their new chat client. Nothing about being available for wp7. Doesn't look good so far. Would've thought it may have been the other way around, since certain products did get banned due to Apple's case.

Dagolara

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
From today:

Microsoft is set to launch its new Mango firmware update, adding over 100 new features to its Windows Phone smartphone lineup. HTC has already introduced two of its new Mango-enabled smartphones and with Nokia and more than five other vendors including Samsung ready to launch their own, the software giant is ready to spend millions of marketing dollars to further push the new, improved platform.

Source

cdook

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I love my Samsung Focus. I am seriously considering them for my next phone. The Focus in my opinion has the best screen and is the thinnest and most stylish. It'd be a shame if they were to drop out of the market. Here's hoping Microsoft can convince Samsung to put a bigger focus on WP7 than Android.

smartpatrol

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Rumors are getting stronger that something is brewing with Samsung: [ Rumor ] No Windows Phone Samsung devices from 2013 ?

Bummer, that's really bad news. Samsung makes some great smartphone hardware. It's a shame they will be moving away from WP7.

Honestly though I'm not too worried. I've always thought that Nokia will be the real star of the WP7 show. They're IMO the best smartphone hardware manufacturer out there. More importantly, at this point, they're also the ONLY ones who have a real interest in seeing WP7 succeed. The other OEMs are just testing the waters to see if they can make a few extra bucks from WP7 on the side while they get all their real sales from Android.

I also think this greatly increases the chances of MS buying Nokia altogether. The way I see it, MS's strategy has been this:

Plan A: license the OS to 3rd-party manufacturers. Get all the smartphone manufacturers competing against one another, cranking out low-margin hardware with WP7 on it. Rake in the lions share of the profit through OS licenses and by funneling people towards MS's online services. (The PC/Android model)

Plan B: buy Nokia and build the hardware themselves. Possibly even buy RIM if the price is right. Create a vertically-integrated smartphone business where they own the hardware, the OS, the ecosystem, and even the store where the products are sold. It's a risky plan, but the potential profits are far higher than Plan A. (AKA the Apple model, which has made them the most valuable company in the world.)

Not coincidentally, Google took a huge step towards the Apple model when they bought Motorola. Samsung already has their own OS (Bada) and you can bet they want some Apple-like profits for themselves. I think it's very possible that the Apple model is the only business model that can be viable in the long-term -- and I don't necessarily see that as a bad thing.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills