Future Windows Phones

estebancam

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Hello,

I need some help with controlling myself. Here is what I mean:

I really like Windows Phone. I have used it several times throughout the last month and I enjoy the interface very much. However, I really don't like the HTC Trophy. I am stuck on Verizon Wireless for a while since I have a huge family plan with them, and I am stuck.

I have a phone I want to get rid of, and the Droid Bionic just came out. I really like Android as well, but prefer WP7. However, I need a better phone than the Trophy. I am looking for a good dual core device with 4G LTE access, a lightly larger screen and a good graphics card. The Trophy is missing all of this. The Droid Bionic, however, has it all except Windows.

My question is:

Does anyone know if there are any near future devices for Windows Phone 7 coming to verizon wireless? I can wait about a month, but I think that after that, my patience will run out :-(

Has anyone heard anything?

Rico

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Nothing yet. I've already stated that for a number of reasons - dedication to Android, lack of market interest in Windows Phone, and the fact that it simply takes time for a lot of these phones to make the jump from GSM to CDMA, that I wouldn't expect more than one new device this year on Verizon, if at all. Maybe Nokia will release something, but I'm really not expecting it this year.

Edit: Spoke too soon. Don't remember hearing about the Omnia referred to below.

Last edited:

smartpatrol

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
A new version of the Omnia 7, with front-facing camera and presumably an updated CPU, just went through FCC certification and it has CDMA bands. So that means it's either going to Verizon or Sprint. Hopefully we'll know more in the very near future.

cdook

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I want to go back to Verizon, but I really don't like the Trophy either. Glad I'm not alone. Hopefully they get some better phones in the future. I bet AT&T has some exclusive deal with Microsoft that they have an exclusive launch window for every OS iteration.

kregstrong

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Well I had trophy, went and picked up bionic the day it came out. Took it back today and using my trophy Again lol. Gotta love wp7. I'm also waiting for a little higher end phone for wp7 vzw.

Sent from my mwp6985 using Board Express

red grenadine

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
I'm surprised HTC didn't come out with one to be honest.

I'd say wait for a month, Nokia and Samsung will officially announce their phones. Who knows, there might be a Samsung Galaxy SII (i.e. Samsung Focus S) variant for VZW / Sprint. I doubt Nokia will put out a CDMA phone, ever. Likely they'll focus on GSM and then the next generation LTE phones after.

smartpatrol

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm surprised HTC didn't come out with one to be honest.

I'd say wait for a month, Nokia and Samsung will officially announce their phones. Who knows, there might be a Samsung Galaxy SII (i.e. Samsung Focus S) variant for VZW / Sprint. I doubt Nokia will put out a CDMA phone, ever. Likely they'll focus on GSM and then the next generation LTE phones after.

There was a rumor a while back that Nokia is working on 3 Windows Phones for the USA. There would be a high-end device for Verizon, and mid-range phones for T-Mobile and AT&T.

Hopefully we'll learn more at Nokia World October 26.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
I'd wait for the new phones to be released. Then wait another month or two after that, because Amazon will most likely have them for a penny! If you can wait that long.

estebancam

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
There was a rumor a while back that Nokia is working on 3 Windows Phones for the USA. There would be a high-end device for Verizon, and mid-range phones for T-Mobile and AT&T.

Hopefully we'll learn more at Nokia World October 26.

Great, thanks. So I will wait until October 26 and see if Nokia has anything for Verizon. If not, then I go Android.

I'd wait for the new phones to be released. Then wait another month or two after that, because Amazon will most likely have them for a penny! If you can wait that long.

I don't really like to buy from amazon :p I like to shop at value retailers, not just lowest price retailers. Usually there is little value top that. (look at what happened to people that purchased the HP TouchPad from Amazon)

estebancam

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
A new version of the Omnia 7, with front-facing camera and presumably an updated CPU, just went through FCC certification and it has CDMA bands. So that means it's either going to Verizon or Sprint. Hopefully we'll know more in the very near future.

Hmmmm sounds interesting. I love Samsung Hardware. I think its the best.

But is there any mention of an LTE radio onboard?

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
One quick question - do you need a dual core device because experience shows Android needs a dual core device to run well, or for some other reason? Because WP7 (and to be fair, iOS) don't need as much hardware grunt as Android to get the same/better levels of performance. So you might be setting yourself a spec level (and an expense, as a result) you don't actually need to meet.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
One quick question - do you need a dual core device because experience shows Android needs a dual core device to run well, or for some other reason? Because WP7 (and to be fair, iOS) don't need as much hardware grunt as Android to get the same/better levels of performance. So you might be setting yourself a spec level (and an expense, as a result) you don't actually need to meet.

That would be like asking for a 1999 single core laptop at Best Buy. :lol:

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Well ok, that's an exaggeration - but you get what I mean! You don't need a wallet-shattering superphone to get WP7 running very nicely indeed. Whereas you'll still get stutters with Android on a Galaxy S2.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Well ok, that's an exaggeration - but you get what I mean! You don't need a wallet-shattering superphone to get WP7 running very nicely indeed. Whereas you'll still get stutters with Android on a Galaxy S2.

Yes I understood. My trophy runs fine with WP7 and a single core CPU.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720