Format text in email?

computrav

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Am I missing something, or is it not possible to format text when composing an email on WP7? By "format text", I'm referring to things like bold, italic, underline, size, color, bullets, numbered lists, etc.

At a BARE minimum, I would expect to be able to bold text, but it doesn't even seem possible.

Google and forum searches are yielding nothing, so either I'm crazy or I'm the only person that has this need (which really surprises me).

It all started b/c I was trying to format the text in my email signature. I then though perhaps I could format the text via the email compose window and copy from there to paste into the signature edit box, but I then quickly realized I can't even format text there.

Can someone help clarify this for me? Twitter integration and all of the other bells & whistles of Mango are fantastic, but basic formatting of emails seems pretty darn important to me...

Thanks

Vector555

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Currently there is no way to do this. At least not that I am aware of. If I need to send an email that requires formatting I could send a office document attached. I really don't see the need though. How long have you had your phone?

Sent from something somewhere.

computrav

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Dang, this is really surprising. I can't believe they'd pass up basic email formatting before spending so much time on things like Twitter integration. I've had the phone for a few months but am just starting to use it as my primary phone today.

Not being able to format responses basically means I can't get back to clients until I get back to my main computer, which kind of defeats the idea of having a smartphone on the go and being able to leave the computer behind. I need to be able to do (at least basic) formatting so I can craft professional-looking responses to clients.

scottitude

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Almost all of my business contacts use plain text and when I send rich text or HTML messages from my office PC the formatting is stripped by their incoming servers.

Not a big deal to me.

Last edited:

computrav

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Almost all of my business contacts use plain text and when I send rich text or HTML messages from my office PC the formatting is stripped by their incoming servers.

Not a big deal to me.

None of your business contacts use Exchange, Gmail, Hotmail, or Yahoo Mail (all of which support rich-text email)? What are they using exactly that is still only supporting forcing plain-text email?

scottitude

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Actually no, very few of my business contacts use web-based email and the in many cases, the content is converted to plain text by their corporate IT security protocols.

It's also not so unsusual when communication originates on Web site contact forms.

computrav

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
OK still. It seems odd that with MSFT wanting to have a mobile OS that can be used with the rest of their products (i.e., Exchange for email), they'd want to be able to support rich-text communication...

theman60099

Banned
Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
there was never this ability to bold text and such in emails, not even in WM all in all not a big deal to me or many of the other users that are satisfied with wp7.

Vector555

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Scottitude brings up a good point. Most corporate IT security policies force plain text. I know my place of work does. Reason being is security. Malware, worms, and viruses can all be sent through e-mail using rich text or html formatting. I'm curious to see a sample email of yours that you consider a professional looking response.

The only time I find that I need to e-mail formatted text, is when I am sending off prepared documents for presentations, training, how to's and the like. But the e-mail itself isn't formatted in anything but plain text.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb